Handguns at the range today

24" and less, a place to discuss all things handgun related, section 7.3. Long barrelled revolvers, long barrelled pistols and section 5. Overseas contributions are more than welcome.

Moderator: dromia

rufrdr

Handguns at the range today

#1 Post by rufrdr »

Went old school at the range today:

Ruger Old Army C&B, Beretta Laramie .38, and a 1956 S&W Military and Police .38 special.

The Laramie is amazingly accurate and easy to shoot. The Old Army is always a challenge. I use Pyrodex pellets and getting them to ignite reliably is a struggle. I'm guaranteed at least a couple click-bangs per cylinder!

"Everybody dies...the thing is, to die well"

Jack Harper
DaveB
Home club or Range: Wellington Service Rifle Assocaition; NZ Deerstalkers Association; Wairarapa Pistol & Shooting Sports Club

Re: Handguns at the range today

#2 Post by DaveB »

I used to use two Pyrodex pellets in my .45-70 loads, but never seen them used in a handgun.
Dark Skies
Home club or Range: NRA

Re: Handguns at the range today

#3 Post by Dark Skies »

I've been using up Pyrodex pellets in my Pietta New Model Army recently.
They've been kicking around in my cupboard for ages because ... they never reliably went off.
However, I've discovered that if you give them a little extra tweak when ramming the ball home that they will crush just a little at the bottom and this powdered crumble gives the cap flame a good head start igniting the solid pellet.

I only use the one pellet as my barrel is significantly shorter than standard - two pellets would be wasted in a huge muzzle flash doing nothing.
Attachments
photo_2021-07-26_16-22-23.jpg
"I don't like my job and I don't think I'm gonna go anymore."