New LBP Options

24" and less, a place to discuss all things handgun related, section 7.3. Long barrelled revolvers, long barrelled pistols and section 5. Overseas contributions are more than welcome.

Moderator: dromia

Graham M

Re: New LBP Options

#11 Post by Graham M »

TattooedGun wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 3:07 pm
That ceiling looks like Dudley range ;)
Been ages since I went there, and I have heard that prone rifle is getting less and less whilst benchrest and pistol are growing. You do seem to be increasing your membership though because of it. We still seem to be trying to attract young members with prone smallbore rifle and gallery rifle. We did talk about installing removable benches for benchrest, but that's about as far as we got.
I used to love pistol, both smallbore and centrefire, but these days my shoulders just don't seem to be able to hold an air pistol steady enough. Just getting up and down for prone rifle is a struggle these days.
Poor old sod. teanews
Never argue with an idiot, he will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.
TattooedGun
Past Supporter
Home club or Range: Dudley Rifle Club, WNSC, UKPSA, Bromsgrove

#12 Post by TattooedGun »

Graham M wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 11:38 am
TattooedGun wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 3:07 pm
That ceiling looks like Dudley range ;)
Been ages since I went there, and I have heard that prone rifle is getting less and less whilst benchrest and pistol are growing. You do seem to be increasing your membership though because of it. We still seem to be trying to attract young members with prone smallbore rifle and gallery rifle. We did talk about installing removable benches for benchrest, but that's about as far as we got.
I used to love pistol, both smallbore and centrefire, but these days my shoulders just don't seem to be able to hold an air pistol steady enough. Just getting up and down for prone rifle is a struggle these days.
Poor old sod. teanews
Good spot!

Prone rifle numbers are unfortunately dwindling, but whilst we still put forward members for the county teams I'm encouraged to keep it going for as long as possible. We try to attract juniors that go through the proficiency program to continue with prone shooting when completed, but I fear that the amount of equipment and clothing is often a barrier to entry to prone, although its currently the only Olympic discipline we offer. The odd few juniors with potential come through the ranks, but those ones often move on to Rugely where they have the experience and contacts to take these kids as far as they can go.

The removable benches we use are these ones: https://www.nsrashop.co.uk/products/top ... 0440617478
Well put together, sturdy with no movement - going to this from our all in one bench made everyones average in benchrest jump. Worthwhile investment to be honest.

Our club does well in benchrest competitions, mainly the Hendon League as we're regulars, it's probably the fastest growing aspect of our club - the fact you don't need jackets, spotting scopes, mats, slings (and dare I say decent eyesight) is definitely a draw for casual shooters to take it up.

With regards to getting up, and the aging population of prone shooters, everyone fights over firing point 4, it's against the wall and we installed a hand rail to assist getting up and down! lol

Prone shooters regularly shoot on Weds nights if you'd like to pop over and catch up one night :)
Sim G
Past Supporter

#13 Post by Sim G »

One last question…. Magazines. Good quality? Capacity? Availability and are they bespoke, or an adopted pattern…

I feel a “spend” coming on…
In 1978 I was told by my grand dad that the secret to rifle accuracy is, a quality bullet, fired down a quality barrel..... How has that changed?

Guns dont kill people. Dads with pretty Daughters do...!
TattooedGun
Past Supporter

#14 Post by TattooedGun »

The magazines are polymer with polymer followers. currently only 10 round mags available - can be modified pretty easy to hold one extra round (which helped me at a comp this weekend).

https://riflemags.co.uk/cz-sp-01-shadow ... -magazine/

This is them (Exactly - I bought 2 extra from here).

Work well, seem sturdy, no mag issues so far in 500 rounds, but that's only 50 mag reloads (across 3 mags for the most part).

Shield have developed and awaiting release of the extension which should see the capacity on the mags jump up to circa 22 rounds IIRC - these will likely be £40 each for the extenders, on top of magazine cost. - the pistol comes with 3 unextended mags.
Dellboy
Site Supporter 2021
Home club or Range: Star Shooting Club

#15 Post by Dellboy »

Is the frame a real CZ frame and is it alloy or steel ? I shoot a steel frame 75 compact (steel ) in Czech and was on the point of buying a shadow 2 pre covid wondered how they would compare ?
2020 GOOD DEALS WITH

Cutch Vortex Scope
Mauserbill Enfield Books

Enjoy today as tomorrow might not come .

Noli pati a scelestis opprimi.

TattooedGun
Past Supporter

#16 Post by TattooedGun »

Aluminium frame, steel slide :good:
andrew375

#17 Post by andrew375 »

Again, suitable for left handed?
"Consciousness is a lie your brain tells you to make you think you know what you are doing." Professor Maria Goncalves.

If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear. George Orwell.
Sim G
Past Supporter

#18 Post by Sim G »

I reckon it would be, but perhaps not comfortably until a standard mag release was fitted. That big button looks like it could foul the trigger finger.

Looking at pictures on t'web, it has an ambidextrous safety.
In 1978 I was told by my grand dad that the secret to rifle accuracy is, a quality bullet, fired down a quality barrel..... How has that changed?

Guns dont kill people. Dads with pretty Daughters do...!
Triffid
Past Supporter
Home club or Range: Wey Valley

#19 Post by Triffid »

I too had a fondle of the KMR at the Target Shooting Show and was highly impressed. I was very tempted to chop in my GSG 1911 until I discovered the price.
Triffid
Gh0st
Home club or Range: FDPC

#20 Post by Gh0st »

+1 for the Shield S01
All views expressed are my own unless otherwise stated! So please take your time to consider my opinions as biased to what i think is best....

http://www.bulletsandpixels.co.uk www.fdpc.org.uk