Shooting at bisley

New to the sport? Or just not sussed something out yet? Please ask your questions in here, there are many experienced shooters on the forum and someone will for sure come along and answer your question. This is a section for new shooters so if anyone can think of something please submit it.

Moderator: dromia

tkd67

Shooting at bisley

#1 Post by tkd67 »

Hello to all, my question is, when i become a full member at my club in a couple of months time, there are certain calibres that are not allowed at the club, so im looking into joining the nra to shoot independantly at bisley and not with my club, logic being ..go when i want..

Now on my FAC when i apply, i will be putting down.

.22 semi auto...Ar15 platform
.223 this will be a dedicated upper...Ar15 platform
.357 underlever
.308 bolt action... not sure on this one, yet.

Now when i apply to join the nra, it states putting down 3 disciplines in order of preference ?

What discipline would suit me ? for the .22 ...223 and .357, ive never been to bisley have no idea how the ranges differ, stupidly thought , just turn up and shoot ..

Am i missing something :oops: thankyou..
rox

Re: Shooting at bisley

#2 Post by rox »

tkd67 wrote:Now when i apply to join the nra, it states putting down 3 disciplines in order of preference ?
I think you'll find that these fields are just for information purposes, e.g. for statistical analysis of the membership and to help ensure that you receive announcements and information that is appropriate to your interests. Your choice shoud not determine what you can and can't shoot.
tkd67 wrote:ive never been to bisley have no idea how the ranges differ, stupidly thought , just turn up and shoot ..

Am i missing something :oops: thankyou..
Your .22 wouldn't be much use at 1200 yards, and nor would your .308 be usable on running boar.

tkd67

#3 Post by tkd67 »

Thanks rox, so .223 and .357 and .308 all fixed targets

The .223 upper will be straight pull, which i believe wont be a speed based .
HeatherW762
Home club or Range: OSM, NRA Bisley

#4 Post by HeatherW762 »

tkd67 wrote:
Now when i apply to join the nra, it states putting down 3 disciplines in order of preference ?
The 3 disciplines are used to tailor our communications, if required, for example - in the event of a discipline rep vote, only those with that discipline as number 1 get the voting papers.

Heather
Beauty is in the eye of the beholder and it may be necessary from time to time to give a stupid or misinformed beholder a black eye (Miss Piggy)
IainWR
Home club or Range: NRA Bisley

#5 Post by IainWR »

And remember thare is little direct correlation between firearm and discipline. For example, you can shoot TR with a .308/7.62, a .303 or a .223/5.56. You can shoot F-open with anything at all up to 8mm ( though .22LR might cause problems with the first-shot-hits-target rule at 1k), and Gallery rilfe has a host of calibres, sharing only a connection with former pistol calibres.

Disciplines are all about competitive shooting. If you only want to turn up and shoot informally by yourself or with friends, there is no need to pay any attention to them at all. There is an NRA rule, right at the start of one of the major sections of the rulebook, that says something like "Outside competition, NRA members may use any combination of firearm, ammunition, equipment and technique permitted by the safety regulations of the range in use." In other words, if it's safe and legal, carry on. So please don't be put off by some of the complexities of NRA rules.

Iain
meles meles
Home club or Range: HBSA

#6 Post by meles meles »

IainWR wrote:And remember thare is little direct correlation between firearm and discipline.

Iain
Oh, we beg to differ, ooman.

If you have no discipline you have no moral right to own or use a firearm...

:run:
Badger
CEO (Chief Excavatin' Officer)
Badger Korporashun

Quidquid latine dictum sit altum viditur.
"Quelle style, so British"
IainWR
Home club or Range: NRA Bisley

#7 Post by IainWR »

Sorry that should have read "...little direct correlation between firearm and Discipline."
tkd67

#8 Post by tkd67 »

IainWR wrote:Sorry that should have read "...little direct correlation between firearm and Discipline."

Cheers iain, makes sense now, how you have, explained it.. :goodjob: