Wads for 12g shotgun slugs

All things shotgun related.

Moderator: dromia

David-mauser

Wads for 12g shotgun slugs

#1 Post by David-mauser »

I’ve been loading once fired Danarms hulls with 34gr of Herco under a Winchester Waa12 (white) wad with reduced length petals and a Lee 1oz slug. The petals on these wads are really thin and when cut down to the start of the slug hemisphere allow a snug fit in the hull without bulging the case and seem to release the slug soon after it leaves the muzzle.

My problem is I’m out of the WAA12 wads and can’t find any for sale in the UK.

I've tried several European makes of wad but they all have thicker petals and cause a bulge in the hull with the exception of the wad below but I don’t know where it came from or who the manufacturer is.

Any thoughts?

Dave
Attachments
wad.jpg
mr smith
Home club or Range: Dundee Rifle and Pistol Club

Re: Wads for 12g shotgun slugs

#2 Post by mr smith »

http://shotgunreloading.co.uk/page7.html

Claybusters wads down the page,i believe there may be several variants of the WAA12 wads but hese might be close enough.
David-mauser

#3 Post by David-mauser »

Thanks mr smith

I e-mailed them yesterday asking if they were a direct replacement for the WAA12 but have yet to hear back.

Dave
Sim G

#4 Post by Sim G »

Claybuster CB1118-12 is a direct replacement for WAA12. Here's some;

http://www.midwayuk.com/epages/Midway_U ... 14141BC95D

I've been using the Claybuster replacement for WAA12SL for a couple or three years now. Exactly the same as the original Winchester wad.
In 1978 I was told by my grand dad that the secret to rifle accuracy is, a quality bullet, fired down a quality barrel..... How has that changed?

Guns dont kill people. Dads with pretty Daughters do...!