NRA Target Shotgun rule book

All types of competitive shooting including Bell Target, MR TR F/TR F Open, GR, Small Bore and BR

Moderator: dromia

Forum rules
This section is for people who shoot or want to shoot in competitions and includes future events, how to get started, choice of rifle and calibres including wildcats, how to prepare for your competition, and of course how you did!
Chuck

Re: NRA Target Shotgun rule book

#31 Post by Chuck »

If .410's dominate the shotgun events then they may well go into their own class BUT if that is the case then we will also have to enforce minimum energy levels for everyone else using a shotgun.
WHY???? Genuine Question.

Don't understand all this "minimum energy level stuff" - a hit is a hit etc so seems irrelevant to me. if people start winning with .410's then more folks might just switch to .410..or as I said, just have a .410 competition running alongside..if it goes DING instead of falling down then surely it's the same result - a HIT.....or am I oversimplifying things..

Like I said, not everyone can handle a 12 or 20 for that matter and anything that brings in new blood can't be bad - can it?
Political Correctness is the language of lies, written by the corrupt , spoken by the inept!
Sandgroper
Site Supporter Since 2015

#32 Post by Sandgroper »

Chuck,
I'm not sure but I think the 'minimum energy' levels are from the Practical Shooting competitions - the plates are set to fall when hit at the required energy level.

Whatever the case, I'm with you regarding the .410. :good:
“The standard you walk past is the standard you accept.”

Lieutenant General David Morrison

I plink, therefore I shoot.
Chuck

#33 Post by Chuck »

Cheers sandgroper.....Aye it would have been fun if some people had taken the rods out their rectums and thrown away their blinkers and dumbass pills.

These things are still on sale over here but I reckon the UK is not the market for them...won't say more than that. certainly i felt that dropping it was best.

So anyway, your probbaly right but why not just fire a .410 slug at the plates and see what happens??? Simple. Anyway if it makes a DING as I said what's the big deal, it's a hit.

Those shots in the piccies were pretty hard hitting, made a lot more of an impact than the 9mm obviously..the slugs ended up looking like a flattened airgun pellet. I had kept them but she SWTSAW (she who thinks she's a womble) ditched them.
Political Correctness is the language of lies, written by the corrupt , spoken by the inept!
JSHarris
Home club or Range: Old Windsor

#34 Post by JSHarris »

Chuck wrote: WHY???? Genuine Question.

Don't understand all this "minimum energy level stuff" - a hit is a hit etc so seems irrelevant to me. if people start winning with .410's then more folks might just switch to .410..or as I said, just have a .410 competition running alongside..if it goes DING instead of falling down then surely it's the same result - a HIT.....or am I oversimplifying things..

Like I said, not everyone can handle a 12 or 20 for that matter and anything that brings in new blood can't be bad - can it?

if only life where that simple!!

I am currently being moaned at for allowing .410's on the basis that they are easier to shoot then 12guage.

It is possible ( and allowed under the rules) to homeload 12g slug that actually has less energy than a factory .410 slug. If you shoot that in a nice heavy Shotgun ( like my remi 870) the felt recoil is nil. So you have the bonkers situation where people can moan about .410's having less recoil when in fact some people shooting 12g have even less felt recoil than a .410!!! Hence my comment about energy levels, to stop the griping it may become necessary to set a minimum energy level for shotgun, that way everyone is equal, except those that have guns that done meet this level and then we are excluding shooters..........

Simply put we are punching holes in bits of paper so whatever you choose to do it with, ( .410 to 10g) is irrelevent.

Chuck,
who needed to take the rods and blinkers out/off etc?
Chuck

#35 Post by Chuck »

JS Harris:

I am currently being moaned at for allowing .410's on the basis that they are easier to shoot then 12guage.
Simply put we are punching holes in bits of paper so whatever you choose to do it with, ( .410 to 10g) is irrelevent.
clapclap clapclap clapclap Exactly!

if it's easier with a .410 then just get one...damn simple IMO. A hit is a hit - end of story, stop faffing about with US power factor rules etc, this is not the States. If people buy a gun they cannot shoot properly whose fault is that. Like you say, it is paper punching - it's not not life or death.

As for the last part, it was a few years back now so best left alone. Suffice to say that progress is something the shooting fraternity needs to get used to before apathy and traditionalism kills it off. - although things seem to have moved along since then from what you write..

At the time "target shotgun" was very much a "no no" with some forces and clubs...and the bias against the T14 because of its looks was **** pathetic. Practical seems to have become more prolific now.
Sandgroper
Site Supporter Since 2015

#36 Post by Sandgroper »

JSHarris wrote: Simply put we are punching holes in bits of paper so whatever you choose to do it with, ( .410 to 10g) is irrelevent.
Um... not according to V1 of the TS handbook. For example
A2.5.1
...All ammunition must have sufficient energy to pass through paper/card targets and
their backing boards or knock down steel targets or break frangible targets
where required. Shots which do not pass through paper/card targets and their
backing boards will be scored as misses as will steel targets not knocked
down and frangible targets not broken/penetrated.

B8.4.9 Any frangible target that is broken, cracked or displays visible
signs of impact will be scored as a hit. In respect of hits on thrown clays the
RO or scorers decision is final

B8.4.10 All metal targets must fall or be overturned to score; in the event
that self re-setting targets are used the RO or scorers decision is final. Targets
that twist or rotate to present a smaller aspect will be reset and the competitor
allowed to re-shoot that stage, practice, match or series again unless briefed
otherwise and the RO or RCO has indicated to the firer that the target has
been hit. Hard targets that self indicate when hit must do so consistently,
where so briefed the competitor may request the RO or scorer call the hits
during shooting.

21 – Speed Steel Challenge
Event Numbers
2134 SG

Targets
A minimum of 6 metal plate targets that fall when hit or otherwise
indicate hits

Distances
7 to 15m for Birdshot
25 to 50m for Solid Slug
“The standard you walk past is the standard you accept.”

Lieutenant General David Morrison

I plink, therefore I shoot.
Chuck

#37 Post by Chuck »

OK tell me a shotgun that won't break paper then bangbang LOL..only the knock down thing is of any consequence and that is easily sorted, just set the metal targets differently then everyone can have fun.

F'n hell, it is meant to be fun is it not?