OAL Query

This section is for reloading and ammunition only, all loads found in here are used strictly at your own risk, if in doubt ask again.
All handloading data posted on Full-Bore UK from 23/2/2021 must reference the published pressure tested data it was sourced from, posts without such verification will be removed.
Any existing data without such a reference should treated as suspect and not used.

Moderator: dromia

Forum rules
All handloading data posted on Full-Bore UK from 23/2/2021 must reference the published pressure tested data it was sourced from, posts without such verification will be removed.
Any existing data without such a reference should be treated as suspect and not used.

Use reloading information posted here at your own risk. This forum (http://www.full-bore.co.uk) is not responsible for any property damage or personal injury as a consequence of using reloading data posted here, the information is individual members findings and observations only. Always verify the load data and be absolutely sure your firearm can handle the load, especially older ones. If in doubt start low and work your way up.
Dangermouse

OAL Query

#1 Post by Dangermouse »

Box from Sinclair's/Brownell's arrived this morning and I can finally get some test loads done for my new barrel.

Using a Stoney point gauge and a comparator on my callipers, I measured the average OAL as 54.215 for 175gn SMK's and 54.206 for 155gn SMK's. Only .009 difference between the two which I thought would make setting up the LEE bullet seater easy.

I managed to get the seater to load the 155's at OAL 54.175 but the 175's at the same setting is loading at OAL 54.350.

I ran the 175 through the rifle (no primer/powder) and the bolt closed easily. This has confused me as I though the bolt would either not close or be stiff.

I am now confused and questioning the whole procedure.
Any ideas?

DM
Without order and without a goal, six million people unarmed and unprovisioned, driving headlong. It was the beginning of the rout of civilisation, of the massacre of mankind.
Forever Autumn, War of the Worlds.
dromia
Site Admin
Home club or Range: The Highlands of Scotland. Cycling Proficiency 1964. Felton & District rifle club. Teesdale Pistol and Rifle club.

Re: OAL Query

#2 Post by dromia »

Where is the lee seater stem setting the oal from? Ogive or tip?

Come on Bambi get some

Imperial Good Metric Bad
Analogue Good Digital Bad

Fecking stones

Real farmers don't need subsidies

Cow's farts matter!

For fine firearms and requisites visit

http://www.pukkabundhooks.com/
Ovenpaa

#3 Post by Ovenpaa »

Dangermouse wrote:Box from Sinclair's/Brownell's arrived this morning and I can finally get some test loads done for my new barrel.

Using a Stoney point gauge and a comparator on my callipers, I measured the average OAL as 54.215 for 175gn SMK's and 54.206 for 155gn SMK's. Only .009 difference between the two which I thought would make setting up the LEE bullet seater easy.

I managed to get the seater to load the 155's at OAL 54.175 but the 175's at the same setting is loading at OAL 54.350.

I ran the 175 through the rifle (no primer/powder) and the bolt closed easily. This has confused me as I though the bolt would either not close or be stiff.
How many bullets did you try in the OAL gauge? I usually try 5 bullets and take 3 measurements to give me 15 numbers to work from. Not all bullets from the same box are equal...
/d

Du lytter aldrig til de ord jeg siger. Du ser mig kun for det tøj jeg har paa ...

Shed Journal
Dangermouse

#4 Post by Dangermouse »

Great minds think a like, as above I got the average from 5 rounds of each measured twice.

Measuring to the ogive but do not know how the Lee seater works. I do know it's a real pain to set up!
Without order and without a goal, six million people unarmed and unprovisioned, driving headlong. It was the beginning of the rout of civilisation, of the massacre of mankind.
Ovenpaa

#5 Post by Ovenpaa »

I have a couple of Lee's at home I used to use, I just start long and screw it in slowly until I am 20 thou over, do a few and measure them, if the 20 thou off is consistent I wind in another 10 and repeat so I am working with an average over say 10 rounds.

Just remember to check they are all fully seated before you drop them into the box!
/d

Du lytter aldrig til de ord jeg siger. Du ser mig kun for det tøj jeg har paa ...

Shed Journal
Ovenpaa

#6 Post by Ovenpaa »

Are you measuring to the ogive aren't you?
/d

Shed Journal
Dangermouse

#7 Post by Dangermouse »

Yes, measuring to ogive.
Having re read the instructions on the Stoney point, they recommend a jump between .020 and .040 thou.
That is going to be a real pain to achieve with the Lee seater's.

I also purchased a case cutter but neglected to get the .308 cartridge holder. I am going to have to put another order in, perhaps I will get a another seater.
Ovenpaa

#8 Post by Ovenpaa »

Just screw it in a bit at a time and it should be OK, only problem is Lee dies use a plain nut with an 'O' ring to lock it which I have never rated, best investment you can make is lock nut that has a grub screw in it so you can lock the nut to the threaded barrel, so you always screw it in to the same place, something which is all but impossible with the standard system. You can either pick up an after market nut that locks, or drill and tap the existing to take a grub screw that tightens onto the thread with something soft to protect the thread.

EDIT - I have a few spare Lee nuts, I can drill and tap a couple and mail them down to you, they will be with you Tuesday if that helps, it is going to make life a lot easier ;)
/d

Shed Journal