Destroyer Carbine

Made or missed the shot of a lifetime? Share your shooting trips with everyone. Tell us about it. We won't laugh, honest!

Moderator: dromia

Sandgroper

Destroyer Carbine

#1 Post by Sandgroper »

After receiving by Destroyer back in Oct last year, I finally got to test it today. Part of the delay was winter, injury and determining if the carbine had been modified but the main problem was finding suitable load data.

The Destroyer Carbine was designed for the 9mm Largo (Bergmann) round, which is 9x23mm. A small number were made for 9mm Para and 38 ACP (NOT 38 SUPER! :shock: ). In the case of mine, it had it’s bolt face opened up to accept 38ACP/Super. This is were the problem lies - load data for the Largo is hard to find and some of the data has been confused with the other ammunition the Destroyer was loaded for.

After doing some (lots) of research, I decided (suspected, guessed) the 9mm Largo ranged from the middle of 9mm Para to the bottom end of 38 Super. Using the only two suitable powders I had – titegroup and lil’gun – I made some loads.

Titegroup loads ranged from 3.6 gns to 4.6 gns. The lil’gun, from 10 to 12 grains. According to the Hogdgon data lil’gun should give me higher velocities with lower pressure (than equivalent powders) – it certainly pushed those bullets out! :o Compared to the titegroup loads from which recoil was barely noticeable, lil’gun gave a definite push into the shoulder, the downside was the groups were dreadful.

(I am actually describing this arse about as the titegroup loads were tested first.)

I stopped after the second batch of lil’gun loads because of the groups (4+ inches @ 25m) and because pressure concerns. No load tested showed any pressure signs, but because my carbine had been modified, I was worried that at some point someone had been firing 38 Super in it and I wanted to play it safe.

On the other hand 4.2 gns of titegroup produced a group ¾ of an inch in size – very happy with that one - best one of the day :D . I’m pretty sure with practice (first time shooting irons in years), some tweaking the loads and moving to cast boolits I should improve on that.

Overall, the Destroyer Carbine is a fantastic rifle to shoot. This one is a keeper - wild horses could not make me give this one up – now I just need more mags and to increase my ammunition allocation. :lol:
“The standard you walk past is the standard you accept.”

Lieutenant General David Morrison

I plink, therefore I shoot.
Christel
Site Admin

Re: Destroyer Carbine

#2 Post by Christel »

So the question is after you now have tested it, does it qualify as a zombie gun?

:D
Sandgroper

Re: Destroyer Carbine

#3 Post by Sandgroper »

christel wrote:So the question is after you now have tested it, does it qualify as a zombie gun?

:D
Its a cock on closing design with a very fast and smooth action. So if you had lots of ammo and Hi-Cap mags, you could pop them off all day! Head shots wouldn't be difficult, I'd get them in a stairwell so they're tripping over the fallen. :lol:

My son (7) could handle the recoil from the titegroup loads with no difficulty, which might be a problem - I may have to fight him for it. :shock:
“The standard you walk past is the standard you accept.”

Lieutenant General David Morrison

I plink, therefore I shoot.