Cawdor 11/08/13 and looking back.

Sporting-Class. Everything you want to know about this new discipline including course of fire, competitions, rifles, regulations and how to get involved.

Moderator: dromia

Sandgroper
Site Supporter Since 2015

Cawdor 11/08/13 and looking back.

#1 Post by Sandgroper »

To be honest, I didn’t think I’d get a chance to shoot any more S-Class this summer but on Sunday, Strathpeffer held their Optical Rifle Competition, which by a happy coincidence was basically an S-Class shoot (Distance B). That was the good news, bad news – last again! :oops:

Shooter*/Cartridge_____200m...300m...500m...Total

SM1/ (22-250)_________ 50.......45.......48.....143

SM2/ (7mm-08)_______ 43.......28.......28.....100

Andy632/ (308 Win)_____41........33......26.....100

Sandgroper/ (223Rem)___38 .......14......34......87

*SM = Strathpeffer Member

No excuses but at 300m I got caught in a downpour just as I started my shoot, which totally stuffed things up for me, but that’s life. I’m just glad to get another S-Class shoot in.

I've been doing plenty of shooting over the last couple of months, but very little of it has been S-Class, mainly because its been a great summer and I’ve been doing lots of pest control – not much fun for the rabbits but it keeps me occupied. :good:

Overall my S-Class shooting has been fairly mixed – I’ve shot well with the Rossi, most of the time, but not consistently enough and I still haven’t got the 257 to work. It’s shows lots of potential (especially with the new powder) but it’s just not gelling at the moment. For example, I got it to shot some groups ranging from 0.5 to 1 inch in size at 100m but could I get to zero? No chance, but I’ll get there fingerscrossed – more tinkering required!

I had great hopes for S-Class this year but it hasn’t gone quite to plan. Interest has been fairly steady but unfortunately it hasn’t been translated to people shooting it. I must admit after the June competition at Cawdor, I was tired and needed a break from shooting S-Class and S-Class in general. Don’t misunderstand me – I’m all for S-Class and will keep shooting it but I just needed a rest and to shoot some of my other rifles! Unfortunately,if I'm being realistic, there isn’t going to be much more in the way S-Class shooting for the time being.

Another sad fact is I doubt the Postal competition will be completed – lack of people shooting it and lack of opportunity at 600m. Will there be one next year? That’s a tough one to answer. I’m starting full time study in September and my time will be limited, especially next summer when I'll be on placement for 10 weeks – at the very least there will practise rounds and competition/s to get ready for. Overall, it may have been a slow first year but it's been fun and I’m confident it will continue and grow next year.
“The standard you walk past is the standard you accept.”

Lieutenant General David Morrison

I plink, therefore I shoot.
dromia
Site Admin
Home club or Range: The Highlands of Scotland. Cycling Proficiency 1964. Felton & District rifle club. Teesdale Pistol and Rifle club.

Re: Cawdor 11/08/13 and looking back.

#2 Post by dromia »

I think it has lots of potential Grant and I am disappointed that I didn't get the range time in.

I think the problem is getting the ranges to shoot at 300yrds, since Landmarc have priced the ETR ranges beyond what my clubs can afford the shooting opportunities have more than halved as gallery ranges take up so much time for so few shots and you never know what distance you may be shooting at on any given day depending on who turns up and which range we happen to get.

So time taken up with load development, practice and shooting cards along with other things that I need the range time for demands more range time than there is available to me at least at present, I suspect that this the same for many shooters outside the Bisley catchment where we a dependant on the infrequent use of MoD ranges.

Come on Bambi get some

Imperial Good Metric Bad
Analogue Good Digital Bad

Fecking stones

Real farmers don't need subsidies

Cow's farts matter!

For fine firearms and requisites visit

http://www.pukkabundhooks.com/
Alpha1
Site Supporter Since 2020

#3 Post by Alpha1 »

I think S class is a excellent idea but its not realistic in my neck of the woods I have the same problem as Adam less and less access to ranges. Its to expensive for my club to book the kind of ranges we were using 18 month ago the club would be bankrupt within a year.
300 yard ranges are a luxury now a days.
Sandgroper
Site Supporter Since 2015

#4 Post by Sandgroper »

It'll get there - it'll just take some time. fingerscrossed

The lack of suitable ranges is a problem, not just for this but for shooting in general. Just goes to show how lucky we are (up here) to have a range like Cawdor available.
“The standard you walk past is the standard you accept.”

Lieutenant General David Morrison

I plink, therefore I shoot.