ML Revolver/Pistol Licence slot?

Anything muzzle loading in here. Old and new, rifles, shotguns, pistols and even cannons!

Moderator: dromia

Ares590

ML Revolver/Pistol Licence slot?

#1 Post by Ares590 »

I applied for a .45/44 ML Revolver on my ticket. (the idea was to get a 1858)
It says "pistol" rather than Revolver on my licence. could I still purchase an 1858 New Model army. or would pistol only cover a single barrel, single shot?
My issuing force is Greater Manchester.
Any advice?
Also wondering if I could get a second 1858 on my licence in future?
I was thinking of justifying it with
one for original sights, one for target sight.
I know someone at my club applied for 2 .22 pistols in the pre 1997 days justifying it with "one for each hand" safe to say the variation wasn't granted....
Sim G

Re: ML Revolver/Pistol Licence slot?

#2 Post by Sim G »

In my area, "pistol" would give you single shor, you'd need revolver for an 1858. Multiple guns of the same calibre just as any other variation. Give your good reason and if solid enough, you'll get it. Fixed and adjustable is a good start..
In 1978 I was told by my grand dad that the secret to rifle accuracy is, a quality bullet, fired down a quality barrel..... How has that changed?

Guns dont kill people. Dads with pretty Daughters do...!
Ares590

#3 Post by Ares590 »

Sim G wrote:In my area, "pistol" would give you single shor, you'd need revolver for an 1858. Multiple guns of the same calibre just as any other variation. Give your good reason and if solid enough, you'll get it. Fixed and adjustable is a good start..
Strange, my local RFD told me to put "Pistol/Revolver" and the police returned it as pistol, I will ring Greater Manchester Police tomorrow, see what they have to say about it.
Mikaveli

#4 Post by Mikaveli »

Ares590 wrote:
Sim G wrote:In my area, "pistol" would give you single shor, you'd need revolver for an 1858. Multiple guns of the same calibre just as any other variation. Give your good reason and if solid enough, you'll get it. Fixed and adjustable is a good start..
Strange, my local RFD told me to put "Pistol/Revolver" and the police returned it as pistol, I will ring Greater Manchester Police tomorrow, see what they have to say about it.
Same for me.

When I bought my 1858 and notified them (Cambs Police) that I'd bought a muzzle loading revolver they didn't send the boys round...
dodgyrog
Home club or Range: Three Counties Sporting Club & Gardners Guns

#5 Post by dodgyrog »

A revolver IS a pistol
Purveyor of fine cast boolits.
All round good guy and VERY grumpy old man.
Ares590

#6 Post by Ares590 »

dodgyrog wrote:A revolver IS a pistol
that was my original thought, but then I wondered why I was told to put Long Barrel "Revolver" on my ticket rather than "Pistol" for my .357 LBR
dromia
Site Admin
Home club or Range: The Highlands of Scotland. Cycling Proficiency 1964. Felton & District rifle club. Teesdale Pistol and Rifle club.

#7 Post by dromia »

Because the LBR is a revolver whereas muzzle loaders can be single shot and pistol covers both.

Come on Bambi get some

Imperial Good Metric Bad
Analogue Good Digital Bad

Fecking stones

Real farmers don't need subsidies

Cow's farts matter!

For fine firearms and requisites visit

http://www.pukkabundhooks.com/
Ares590

#8 Post by Ares590 »

Fair enough, I think I will need to give GMP a call about something else so I will throw it in there see what there policy is on it.