Little bit of information needed please

Anything muzzle loading in here. Old and new, rifles, shotguns, pistols and even cannons!

Moderator: dromia

jdthehun

Little bit of information needed please

#1 Post by jdthehun »

Hi all, i have been shooting for many years, but apart from my navy colt, its all been smokeless.

That is about to change, as i have aquired a 3 band parker hale enfield.

I am looking for the best weight of bullet and make/load of powder to get the best from my new gun. sign85

Most of the shooting will be at 30yrd however will want to go out to 200yrds occasionally.

I look forward to and will appreciate any input.

cheers

JD
:flag6:
Tower75

Re: Little bit of information needed please

#2 Post by Tower75 »

Hi ya.

Well, the original bullets and cartridges for the Enfield where Pritchet bullets of various calibres. See here if you're interested: http://full-bore.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=5164

A bit of shameless posting of my thread. O:-)

However, as the Parker Hales are modern repro you're find that they're probably going to be around .58"-ish calibre. Everyone I've know who owned or owns one, simply buys or casts U.S. "Springfield-" type minie-ball bullets, which are designed to fit into a .58" calibre Springfield.

These will certainly sort you out for 30 yards, though you'll be very high on target.

For a 200 yard powder charge, I would try at 55 grains* and go up from there. You'll probably find that you only need around 60 grains.

Do you know what type of powder you're looking to get?

*Real Black Powder.
jdthehun

#3 Post by jdthehun »

Yeah been reading up about it, will start with the standard minies, and see how it goes, quite fancy making my own at some point, have done .36 ball for my navy before.

Where do you suggest getting the powder from, always found kranks to be a bit expensive, as is midway. but if needs must..lol
jdthehun

#4 Post by jdthehun »

Oh and i read your post, it was the main reason i joined this forum, its a peach
Tower75

#5 Post by Tower75 »

Thank you for the kind words.

Powder, ech, yes, it can be tricky. Unfortunately, I'm probably not much help there, I'm sorry to say. I've only ever bought my BP off of a friend-RFD of mine.

There is a company called black-powder.co.uk, but I've never used them. Kranks, as you say, can be pricey, but he does seem to be the go-to for a LOT of the BP shooters I know.

I'm sure someone older and wiser than I can help you.
jdthehun

#6 Post by jdthehun »

i will ask around, no hurry as im going to be in the incapable hands of lothian and borders license for a bit waiting on a variation...sigh
ResearchPress
Home club or Range: Long Range Rifles Branch of the MLAGB

#7 Post by ResearchPress »

Pete Starley at black-powder.co.uk is the UK importer for the Swiss black powder that is a popular (& expensive) choice of many shooters. He stocks other powders too and can arrange delivery.

While you are researching you may also find the article on Managing the Enfield on my web of interest.

With the MLAGB I shoot Enfield rifle out to 600 yards and with the Long Range Rifles Branch we have an Enfield aggregate at 600 and 800 yards.

I use an RCBS Minie mould casting a bullet with a shallow base cavity and of about 560 grains. I've finished a batch of TPPH powder that I used for the Enfield for some time and switched to Swiss no. 4 with good results. I use 75 grains, increasing this to 80 at the longest range. Others use higher and lower charges and finer grain powders and also get good results - Enfields just take time in working up a load.

David
www.researchpress.co.uk - www.facebook.com/ResearchPress
Firearms, long range target shooting and associated history
jdthehun

#8 Post by jdthehun »

Thanks for the information david.

I have a lot to get on with...

Im going to try it with the bayonet fitted as well, as i know it changes the shooting characteristics of the gun, looking forward to finding out how much of a difference it makes