NEW POLL - What disciplines would you like to shoot?

Anything shooting related including law and procedure questions.

Moderator: dromia

Forum rules
Should your post be in Grumpy Old Men? This area is for general shooting related posts only please.

Disciplines you would like to shoot

Target shotgun
6%
Target rifle
7%
Small bore rifle
6%
Service rifle
8%
Practical shotgun
8%
McQueen
4%
Muzzle loader
3%
Match rifle
2%
Hunting and varminting
5%
Historic
5%
Gallery rifle
7%
F/TR
4%
F Open
3%
Club shooter up to 600 yards
7%
Club shooter over 600 yards
7%
Bench rest full bore
4%
Bench rest .22LR
3%
Any sort of pistol
10%
Something else (Please specify in a post below)
1%

Total votes: 1838

NrthnMunky
Home club or Range: Northampton Target Sports Club, NRA member

Re: NEW POLL - What disciplines would you like to shoot?

#41 Post by NrthnMunky »

would love to have normal sized pistols back even if just in .22LR and take up 3 gun shooting as I caught some competitions on the TV when I was last in the states and it looks great fun
Enfield Enthusiast

#42 Post by Enfield Enthusiast »

The best thing to do, is to try everything & always support everything & everyone , in the form of showing common, solidarity, even if, deep down, a respective discipline, concerned isn't our favourite cup of tea. Snobs & other slippery shooters don't realise that they are considered dinosaurs & 'dying breeds' soon to be extinct, by the trendies that inhabit power, in society, in todays, sanitised-world. Also its too old-hat to be snobbish in todays society, as we need each other to survive it & this is precisely what partially caused the two previous gun bans, where people didn't support each other enough.I ticked all the boxes, because I support every-ones right to shoot their respective disciplines, even though some like muzzle-loading disciplines might not appeal to me, as much as historic or Gallery-rifle does to me. Happy days.
dromia
Site Admin
Home club or Range: The Highlands of Scotland. Cycling Proficiency 1964. Felton & District rifle club. Teesdale Pistol and Rifle club.

#43 Post by dromia »

Just talking about disciplines in this context is potentially divisive. What we should be discussing and championing are the issues around legal gun ownership as the commonality that binds all shooters.

From a leadership point of view, rather than initiatives like getting back 22 pistols, agencies should be forming around and pro-actively tackling the licensing and negative perception issues that debilitates all shooting, that will have more chance of resonating with a wider constituency of gun owners and shooters.

If the "national" organisations would mobilise and pro-actively campaign around those things, challenge intelligently in the public and private arenas rather than being reactive victims to the antis setting the agenda then there would be more chance of more shooters coming out of the woodwork and giving support.

Regardless that some of us know that supporting all types of shooting is a way to go, unfortunately the vast majority of shooters do not see it that way as they have the narrow focus around their type of shooting/discipline, the real threat is around legal gun ownership without that no discipline will survive, so lets cut to the chase, set the pace and move the debate forward to our agenda please "national" bodies/organisations.

Come on Bambi get some

Imperial Good Metric Bad
Analogue Good Digital Bad

Fecking stones

Real farmers don't need subsidies

Cow's farts matter!

For fine firearms and requisites visit

http://www.pukkabundhooks.com/
Enfield Enthusiast

#44 Post by Enfield Enthusiast »

Yes, I agree with the above.
Dark Skies
Home club or Range: NRA

#45 Post by Dark Skies »

Last time I was Stateside I went to some range where they stuck clays, plates, and bottles, tin cans and such up for plinking. It was a lot of non-serious fun - so obviously something we couldn't have at Bisley.
"I don't like my job and I don't think I'm gonna go anymore."
Blu

#46 Post by Blu »

Dark Skies wrote:Last time I was Stateside I went to some range where they stuck clays, plates, and bottles, tin cans and such up for plinking. It was a lot of non-serious fun - so obviously something we couldn't have at Bisley.
Water melons are cheap as chips here, less than a buck a piece. Friends and family from the UK have a blast shooting them and seeing them explode when the round hits.
Blu

#47 Post by Blu »

Dromia and Enfield, I agree 100%
Last edited by Blu on Wed Oct 08, 2014 9:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Blu

#48 Post by Blu »

Not saying anyone disagrees but the fact that this thread went kinda quiet after the posts by Enfield Enthusiast and Dromia to me speaks volumes.

You folks are your own worst enemies.
Alpha1
Site Supporter Since 2020

#49 Post by Alpha1 »

Not saying anyone disagrees but the fact that this thread went kinda quiet after the posts by Enfield Enthusiast and Dromia to me speaks volumes.

blu said: You folks are your own worst enemies.
Why is that blu ?.
Blu

#50 Post by Blu »

Alpha1 wrote:

blu said: You folks are your own worst enemies.
Why is that blu ?.
Well for one guys just like you who had their fun in the heyday of pistols but no longer see the "need" (your word not mine) for anyone else to own them now that they are banned.