Smart Guns

24" and less, a place to discuss all things handgun related, section 7.3. Long barrelled revolvers, long barrelled pistols and section 5. Overseas contributions are more than welcome.

Moderator: dromia

zanes

Re: Smart Guns

#11 Post by zanes »

Blackstuff wrote:And there's the problem, give an inch....

"In 2002, New Jersey became the first state in America to issue a mandate on smart guns, which stated that three years after the retail introduction of smart guns, "it will be illegal for any registered or licensed firearms manufacturer or dealer to transport, sell, expose for sale, possess for sale, assign or transfer any handgun unless that handgun is a [smart] handgun."
What happens when they get introduced to retail, then withdrawn when they flop?
Firearms related legal question? Look here before posting about it.
Blackstuff

#12 Post by Blackstuff »

The statement from the article does not indicate whether their commercial success would impact the introduction of enforced 'smartening' of guns. Just that 3 years after the first ones go one sale, all guns will have to become 'smart'.

So they go on sale, they flop, there's a 3 year mad buying spree of normal handguns, then only new 'smart' guns are permitted. NJ is anti-gun enough to enforce it too. :bad:
DVC
Demonic69
Home club or Range: Thurnscoe Rifle Club

#13 Post by Demonic69 »

There would have to be an airtight definition for a "smart" gun, though how they'd manage it with manufacturers constantly trying to upgrade and improve their designs I've no idea.
Otherwise you could just stick Android powered grips on your Glock and play angry birds while you wait for a lane.

I don't read my own signature!