Barton road

Made or missed the shot of a lifetime? Share your shooting trips with everyone. Tell us about it. We won't laugh, honest!

Moderator: dromia

Steve

Barton road

#1 Post by Steve »

Woke up this morning and shoulder was still killing me despite pumping myself with iburofen over the weekend (one of my dogs pulled badly friday).Despite this i decided to still take my Nagant along with the Enfield because i'd never shot it at longer distances and im stubourn. :lol:

Got to Barton road and found out we would be shooting at 200mtrs rather than 600 as last weeks session had been cancelled by the MOD so was brought forward.It didnt worry me because the thought of trying to hit a target at 600mtrs with iron sights didnt inspire confidence and knowing my luck i'd bring down light aircraft.

Decided to start with the Nagant because anything else afterwards is always going to be tame recoil wise.Quickly found out that 40 year old Russian milsurp aint accurate at 200mtrs! After 20 rounds,10 were on target,3 were in black and my shoulder was begging for mercy.So i volunteered for sentry duty to recooperate. :oops:

Later,had a go with my Enfield (1950 Longbranch) and what a difference.All 20 rounds on target,grouped nice and 8 in the black.Still needs a little fine tuning,but im happy with the results.It likes Privi ammo,but not so with that remanufactured Kynaco stuff.Nothing still comes close accuracy wise to my K98 though.

Looking down at 200mtrs.

Me recooperating on sentry duty listening to music.

Reading the graffiti left by squaddies.

Looking towards the range.

Thanks for reading.
Do or not do-there is no try.
Master Yoda
Christel
Site Admin

Re: Barton road

#2 Post by Christel »

Sounds like a nice day out :D
Thanks for sharing.

Long sentry, leave those sloes alone!

I have to admit that when shooting my Moisin Nagant I always wore a sorbothane pad.
8-)
Steve

#3 Post by Steve »

christel wrote:Sounds like a nice day out :D
Thanks for sharing.

Long sentry, leave those sloes alone!

I have to admit that when shooting my Moisin Nagant I always wore a sorbothane pad.
8-)
lol-made me realise im getting old! :lol:

Weather was good (my shaved head is nicely tanned) and had a nice chat with various dog walkers.
Do or not do-there is no try.
Master Yoda
Ovenpaa

#4 Post by Ovenpaa »

Looks like the weather was good to you, Left (Long) sentry is quite sheltered and a good source of Sloe's come October/November plus you meet a far nicer member of public on left sentry :lol:
/d

Du lytter aldrig til de ord jeg siger. Du ser mig kun for det tøj jeg har paa ...

Shed Journal
Doz

#5 Post by Doz »

Looks like a nice range, and (as previously said) the weather was obviously good too. A grand day out I bet!
Ovenpaa

#6 Post by Ovenpaa »

Doz, As you are in SE Surrey it is within reasonable driving distance for you, the club I shoot with (The Grove) charges GBP35/PA membership plus GBP12/Day for 800/1000/1200 yards, the Long Range crew are all serious shooters and we usually see about a dozen people on a normal day.
/d

Du lytter aldrig til de ord jeg siger. Du ser mig kun for det tøj jeg har paa ...

Shed Journal
Doz

#7 Post by Doz »

Thanks, that's interesting. I have family in Ely which is not a million miles away - two birds with one stone so to speak! Will investigate further.