First time stalker

New to the sport? Or just not sussed something out yet? Please ask your questions in here, there are many experienced shooters on the forum and someone will for sure come along and answer your question. This is a section for new shooters so if anyone can think of something please submit it.

Moderator: dromia

Scotsgun

First time stalker

#1 Post by Scotsgun »

Do I need a DSC to go out on an accompanied deer stalk with someone?:
Not at all. You don't need any type of qualification , however you will need relevant insurance if you intend to actually pull the trigger. You've most probably already got insurance so read the fine print and you'll likely find that you're already covered.

What is the going rate for a days shooting?
It really depends upon who or what organisation you approach. There are many supposed 'professional' stalkers who frankly take the p*** and will charge plenty. However, approach a recreational stalker with access to their own ground or the local branch of the British Deer Society and you'll likely be invited along if you offer to buy the pints afterwards or contribute to the petrol.

What happens if I get lucky and shoot something, is it mine to keep or do I have to pay more for the meat?
Again, it depends upon who you're with. There are times of the year when i can't get rid of the meat quick enough so am only too happy for someone to take the carcass away. However, if out with a 'professional' stalking service then make sure you confirm a price beforehand. Most will charge what they'd get from a dealer for the carcass if you want it.
Another good reason for confirming the carcass price is if you screw up the shot and render the carcass worthless to the game dealer through a badly placed shot. You'll definately be expected to take it away with you.

My general rule and that of many stalkers is.'You drop it, you drag it.' And i don't charge you for the meat. I'd much rather introduce another stalker into stalking.

Can I use my own rifle given that I do not have a permission to shoot outside of ranges?
Nope. Essentially yo need your rifle to be cleared for deer stalking and also permission to buy, aquire, keep and use expanding ammunition. In the unlikely event that you were actually given this permission without restrictions, it would likely be for that stalk - between 2 dates or in the company of a specific person.

I have assumed the role of mentor to a couple of inexperienced stalkers and as such they are prohibited from using their rifles and expanding ammunition unless in my company. These restrictions are usually lifted as soon as the stalker achieves DSC1 and/or permission to stalk on their own ground.

Can a second person accompany me as an observer but not shooting?
Bring as many as you wish, but with each additional person your chances of stalking into a deer successfully diminish significantly.

Where is a nice place to go?
Anywhere with plenty of deer and nice scenery. I'm biased but i think there's nothing that comes close to hill stalking in Scotland
Sandyman
Home club or Range: URC, FCSA

Re: First time stalker

#2 Post by Sandyman »

This is something I am interested in pursuing good information for a complete novice thanks for the post very informative. I have a question what is the average cost of this type of stalking I know it would vary from venue to venue but just a ball park figure?

Cheers

Tony
kennyc
Home club or Range: hunters NRPC

#3 Post by kennyc »

Sandyman wrote:This is something I am interested in pursuing good information for a complete novice thanks for the post very informative. I have a question what is the average cost of this type of stalking I know it would vary from venue to venue but just a ball park figure?

Cheers

Tony
ball park is £50-80 per stalk (2-3 hrs) if you go with someone making a living from Stalking, or who has an expensive lease/s to pay for, less to nothing if you are lucky enough to get someone who doesn't pay for his permission, carcass's are normally sold at going dealer rates, confirm this all in advance, also some Stalkers will have a charge for a mis-shot animal to cover the cost of tracking the wounded animal with dog, and to discourage shots that are borderline (everyone who takes clients out has a multitude of horror stories )
Frere
Home club or Range: East Bristol Pistol and Rifle Club

#4 Post by Frere »

My (admittedly) limited understanding of Avon & Somerset's approach to FAC applications based on one or both of the two good reasons, in this instance, hunting, is that a preDSC and DSC1 would be very favourably looked on. I do understand that it isn't a statutory requirement, but whatever evidence you have to demonstrate the seriousness of your intentions ie deer stalking helps. In any event, I would quite enjoy receiving structured instruction and teaching in a widely recognised format. Being Deaf, I also need this structure in order to request reasonable adjustments such as sign language interpreters organised by the course provider, attached to instructors to relay what is being said, in order that I don't miss out on important snippets of info. Am about to book places, have just opened a line of dialogue with BASC and now await the training manager's response:)

Frere
Chapuis

#5 Post by Chapuis »

Not being unsympathetic but playing devil's advocate here surely Frere it would be up to you to arrange the sign language interpreters as the training providers are hardly covering their costs as it is with DSC1. It's not like a college course provided by the education authority in the main most of the trainers are very small concerns or even one man bands only just breaking even.
Frere
Home club or Range: East Bristol Pistol and Rifle Club

#6 Post by Frere »

Thats why I have invited a open dialogue to discuss these points. Am waiting to for them to get back to me. Besides, its the BASC that are the course providers on the dates I have in mind, so not exactly one man course providers. Those dates were chosen for that reason.

Frere