2 Day RCO COurse at Bisley

Made or missed the shot of a lifetime? Share your shooting trips with everyone. Tell us about it. We won't laugh, honest!

Moderator: dromia

James303

2 Day RCO COurse at Bisley

#1 Post by James303 »

Dear All,

I was asked very kindly by Christel if, when I had time, I would do a quick write up on the RCO course I did at Bisley in February - apologies but new job has really limited my internet time, but finally got a few minutes......

I registered to do this Course as both my Club and County were looking for additional RCO's - it was something I had always wanted to do, so duly enlisted.

Some 3 weeks before the date of the Course I received my course book - the Blue Bible and was somewhat staggered by the amount of information therein. Much is what I have become used to over the years of shooting, much is common sense, but a lot of the rest was information I had never considered or really come across previously. You are advised to read it thoroughly several times before the course to familiarise yourself with the content - Do So !. I would also recommend that any points you are unsure upon you make a note of and raise on the course.

We started on the Saturday morning 8.45 in the NRA Classroom - the old white pavilion that used to be the Clay clubhouse. 12 of us if I recall and 2 instructors - the course was led by the senior NRA assessor.

The format was to thoroughly go through the Blue Book that day with a test paper at the end. I would say quite honestly that we were all pretty nervous, but it was a great day - very informative and plenty of amusing yet serious anecdotes from the Instructors. We were also demonstrated the safety issues of the breech flag - a rifle had been sitting at the front of the classroom most of the morning, when he raised it to demonstrate and reiterate the 70 mil rule. Removed the breech flag dry fired and opened the bolt - out leapt a dummy round to all our shock - it had been sitting below the wide shank of the flag !

Couple of short coffee breaks 1/2 hour or so for lunch then back in. The afternoon saw us studying a map of the entire Bisley area and surrounding army ranges which shows just how tight everything is squeezed in - and almost to the limit of the safety areas - notably the closeness of Lightwater village beyond Stickledown. We did our test - multiple choice and had to achieve 100% on the safety aspect and around 60 % on the remainder. The test is open book and so long as you read the question thoroughly is not too difficult. I had one issue on one question regarding shooting on Pistol/Gallery rifle ranges which I was allowed to reconsider ! I could not find the reference to it in the Blue Book and as I was not going for that qualification I had no idea on the operation of gallery rifles, so we got over that. Finished 5.45 pm

Sunday - start at 8.15. We broke into 2 separate groups for the live range visit - one to Century for the Gallery Range part and the other to Melville I think it was for the Gallery/Pistol assessment. We were all expected to prepare our range Brief the night before to give that day. We had 2 shooters on Century firing 3 rounds each. I had hear rumours before that the Assessors may try and get other candidates to lark about behind the firing point to test you - but we were informed from the outset that this would not be the case.

Subsequently went up to the Melville range for the assessment of all the others doing that part. I was "instructed" by the assessor on that. One candidate got diverted before shooting commenced and the assessor instructed me to start firing - I questioned him twice, but was told to fire. This caused the "RCO" some concern (!) until he realised I had been told to do that to highlight that he had been diverted away from his principle job of observing all the firers. It was a good way for the assessor to get that most important of points across.

Lunch - then returned for the outcome. I am pleased to say that we all passed the course and got our Certificates. We then spent another hour or so just going over our duties and roles going forward which was a good conclusion to the course.

I am still somewhat baffled as to how over 1 1/2 days could be squeezed into 1 day given the intensity of the classroom work we experienced.

All in all - a fantastic course. We all started off rather nervous, particularly for the live firing element, but the assessors got everyone pretty relaxed so we could properly focus on the job in hand. I would recommend anyone who has the slightest interest do this course - not least because it is interesting and most informative.

I left with the confidence that I would be able to do the job in a well drilled, relaxed and safe manner with no barking sergeant major style !!!!!

James
Christel
Site Admin

Re: 2 Day RCO COurse at Bisley

#2 Post by Christel »

James,

You are a star for posting this. Thank you!

:D
Ovenpaa

#3 Post by Ovenpaa »

Great write up James, thank you for the insight into the Bisley based course and well done for passing. I will post up the one day version shortly.
/d

Du lytter aldrig til de ord jeg siger. Du ser mig kun for det tøj jeg har paa ...

Shed Journal
Rifleman798

#4 Post by Rifleman798 »

From doing the 1 day course, I personally think 1 day is sufficient. I don't think you need 1 full day of the course to study the book which you have had for a couple of weeks. Mine and David's instructor did a very good job of squeezing it into one day while still giving us time to absorb all the information and produce good results down at the Firing point. This is only my personnal opinion as Ive had experience of running ranges in the Army, Id like to hear people's thoughts who have had no previous experience.

Cheers

James
Ovenpaa

#5 Post by Ovenpaa »

Yes it is certainly doable in one day assuming you have read and understand the book prior to attending the course. be prepared for a busy day though!
/d

Du lytter aldrig til de ord jeg siger. Du ser mig kun for det tøj jeg har paa ...

Shed Journal
James303

#6 Post by James303 »

There is no doubt that it can be done in one day, subject to the canditates geting the Blue Bible sufficiently in advance.

I mut say that I felt the 2 Day course was by no means a drawn out affair - I really enjoyed it.

What came aross from the Assesors is that the NRA would dearly like to have as many certified RCO's as possible as it show the commitment to our sport and not just by voices but by people who have specifically opted to work and attain the qualifications available.

The best bit was that I ended up at Bisley a month later and picked up a Mint 1943 BSA SMLE which is probably the best service rifle I have evere shot _ Happy Days.

I am doing 3 and 6 next weekend (16th April) so look out for the newly qualified RCO !!
James
Ovenpaa

#7 Post by Ovenpaa »

I am also out as a first time RCO on the 16th!

1943 SMLE eh? Ooh I am envious now, got any pictures?
/d

Shed Journal
James303

#8 Post by James303 »

Well out of the Divorce I gained a nice SMLE but lost a camera !!!

Weighing up a superb SMLE or Camera - no choice !!! I am actually researching a new camera so when i get one I will post.

Are you at Bisley on the 16th ? If so let me know and I will PM my phone number so we can meet.

James
Ovenpaa

#9 Post by Ovenpaa »

James303 wrote:Well out of the Divorce I gained a nice SMLE but lost a camera !!!

Weighing up a superb SMLE or Camera - no choice !!! I am actually researching a new camera so when i get one I will post.

Are you at Bisley on the 16th ? If so let me know and I will PM my phone number so we can meet.
SMLE's can be so dependable. Divorce eh? Got that T Shirt but it was a few years ago now :D I managed to keep my cameras and the Viking even has a medium format Mamiya for me to play with if I want. What sort of camera are you after?

My RCO duties begin at Thetford out to 600. I have never shot at the range so it will be interesting...
/d

Shed Journal