Removing Taurus grip pin

24" and less, a place to discuss all things handgun related, section 7.3. Long barrelled revolvers, long barrelled pistols and section 5. Overseas contributions are more than welcome.

Moderator: dromia

ptheta
Home club or Range: TFSA

Removing Taurus grip pin

#1 Post by ptheta »

Has anyone removed the grip pin on a Taurus LBR to fit alternative grips? If you could let me know what worked I'd be grateful.

I was looking at mine last night as I have some Hogue grips I'd like to put on and I'm not convinced a sharp tap with a hammer and punch is going to do it and I don't want to start beating the crap out of it. I wondered if it might be better to cut it off with a dremmel but I thought the pin might be hardened.

Thanks,
Paul.
the running man
Home club or Range: Bdrpc ebrpc

Re: Removing Taurus grip pin

#2 Post by the running man »

Young man, do you mean the pin holding the wrist brace/bar?
When someone says "it's not about the money" you know what? it probably is all about money!
ptheta

#3 Post by ptheta »

I don't think it's holding that in. It looked to me like that had been welded/filled further back in the frame. This is the grip pin which is used a locating point for the grips. The Hogue instructions actually say that you have to remove it so it's not a UK specific coathanger pin.
Sim G

#4 Post by Sim G »

Have a little look eight threads below this one....

http://full-bore.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=93&t=13918
In 1978 I was told by my grand dad that the secret to rifle accuracy is, a quality bullet, fired down a quality barrel..... How has that changed?

Guns dont kill people. Dads with pretty Daughters do...!
ptheta

#5 Post by ptheta »

Thanks Sim. Probably time to treat my junior hacksaw to a new blade. I think the old one probably qualifies as a senior by now.
Hairydavey
Home club or Range: Looe Rifle/Pistol Club, Dutchy Shooting Association.

#6 Post by Hairydavey »

I know this is an old thread, but for anyone reading this topic, look at each end of the pin going through the Taurus frame that you need to remove in order to fit Hogue grips.

My pin was actually tapered, one good whack on the smaller end with hammer and punch and it popped right out.