How was Shot Show...? Got any photos :D

For everything AR15 related and the ultimate in side charging or semi auto 22 rifles. http://www.lan-tac.com
Huge selection of accessories and upgrades, all available online. We are the UK distributor for LaRue Tactical & Battle Arms Developments.
Mezzer
Home club or Range: Morecambe Rifle & Pistol Club

Re: How was Shot Show...? Got any photos :D

#11 Post by Mezzer »

AR15 wrote:We have warehousing and in house production setup right now. Also outsourcing to multiple suppliers / machine shops. While the UK quality is easily as good as the US its impossible to make the stuff over here for the same money.
As an example out first order of billet uppers was 500 units that has now been increased to 800 units. The volume dictates the price so it makes more sense to manufacture over there, fulfill the US market and export a better priced product back to the UK.
That way we can reduce end costs to the customer and still deliver a high quality product. All our gear still remains designed in the UK by me though.
Volume increases over time and we are bringing more and more US distributors on board. Just signed a new one this show.

Its an insane market, it was explained to my by a well known suppressor manufacturer that If they bring out a new can at $1200 a unit, they know, pretty much that they will sell 2-3000 units instantly first orders or pre orders, at $500 profit per until they stand to make $1,500,000.00 right from the start. Thats a nice spike of sales to get you setup for your later production runs after you claw back your R&D outlay.

$500 profit on a $1200 unit. No wonder things cost as much as they do. Bunch of money-grabbing barstewards ****

Mezzer
HALODIN
Home club or Range: Oundle Rifle & Pistol Club

#12 Post by HALODIN »

100% mark is normal AFAIK.
HALODIN
Home club or Range: Oundle Rifle & Pistol Club

#13 Post by HALODIN »

** "-up" **
c18rch
Home club or Range: New Forest

#14 Post by c18rch »

You're forgetting that moderators are a completely different ball game in the US. No many people have them and they are incredibly difficult to get over there. Once you have one you have to pay around $200 per year per mod in tax too. Hence there are not many people making them and so they charge a premium for them. I believe they can't be imported into the US either, so they have a captive audience.

As for "Bunch of money-grabbing barstewards" and 100% mark up being normal, you must be joking! There is very little in the firearms industry with that sort of margin. 10-20% is normal, and the US suppliers are the same. I went to Shot this year for the first time and picked up several trade price lists from the US suppliers and their margins are the same as ours in the UK on the whole.

I priced a Tikka T3 for someone the other day, and by the time your done with VAT and postage, there is hardly anything in it. Less than 10%. I honestly don't know how the guys with shops to run and staff to pay do it. I appreciate they probably get better rates than me because they buy and sell more but they also have much bigger overheads.