Moderator: dromia

Robin128

S1 shotguns and clays

#1 Post by Robin128 »

S11 (6) A person may, without holding a shot gun certificate, use a shot
gun at a time and place approved for shooting at artificial targets
by the chief officer of police for the area in which that place is
situated.

Not if that shotgun is s1, unless such person has FAC with that shotgun type so approved.

Correct?
Dave 101

Re: S1 shotguns and clays

#2 Post by Dave 101 »

A S1 shotgun is a firearm so the clay ground may not be covered for the use of firearms , is that what you are refering to .

Dave
Ovenpaa

#3 Post by Ovenpaa »

You can shoot S1 without an FAC under supervision so that should include SG, the issue is not that it is S1 or S2 but how many cartridges the shooting ground allows to be loaded at any one time surely?
/d

Du lytter aldrig til de ord jeg siger. Du ser mig kun for det tøj jeg har paa ...

Shed Journal
ptheta
Home club or Range: TFSA

#4 Post by ptheta »

S1 shotguns fall under the same no sharing rules as LBRs and LBPs. For example, the practical shotgun club that I am a member of is allowed to hold .22lr and a lever action gun (I forget the calibre) for club use but cannot hold a S1 shotgun! I read recently (maybe here?) that this is something to do with them not be explicitly defined in law but I don't know for sure the law behind it. Maybe it's just ACPO pushing their weight around?

If you are going to shoot clays wtih a S1 shotgun you need them listed on your FAC. You also need a clay shoot that allows you to use higher capacity guns. I have used one of my S1 shotguns for clays but that's because I can never hit the damn things when I come across them on practical shoots and I need to practice with that gun. Sadly, most clay shoots won't allow you to load 13 per stand. That's a shame as the 2 man flush would be a laugh!

As for using someone else's S1 gun if you have them on your FAC; I know it happens but does anyone really know if it's legal or not?
Robin128

#5 Post by Robin128 »

It's CPSA rules that cause problems at clay shoots ie how many cartridges in mag...only applies to competitions.

You cannot shoot a s1 shotgun at a clay club if you are not certificated.
Blackstuff

#6 Post by Blackstuff »

Robin128 wrote:It's CPSA rules that cause problems at clay shoots ie how many cartridges in mag...only applies to competitions.

Thats my reading of it too. The clay condition is supposed to be added automatically to your FAC (as is the open vermin condition if you say you're involved in pest control) but i'm yet to meet anyone who didn't have to ask for them :roll:

Interesting on the 2 shot restriction only being a CPSA thing, as my strawbaler (or rather the secretary who doesn't like 'black' guns) insists upon it. Although it doesn't really bother me there has been times when we've been losing light and just bombing up 10 would save time wasted on loading between pairs. Might have a look into this and bring it up at the next meeting, if only to annoy the club secretary :lol:
DVC
ptheta
Home club or Range: TFSA

#7 Post by ptheta »

Robin128 wrote:It's CPSA rules that cause problems at clay shoots ie how many cartridges in mag...only applies to competitions.

But what if you do have S1 shotgun on your ticket and are at a clay shoot where they are allowed to be used but you don't have a S1 gun? Can you use someone else's? Or for that matter if you and your friend both have a S1 guns, can you swap around and try each others? I suspect not but I don't know.

I was told recently by my FLO that my shooting buddy would have to have my LBR /LBP on his ticket if he was ever going to shoot them. It never occurred to me to ask if it was sufficient for him to have an empty relevant slot on his FAC as it wasn't really relevant at the time; not that any of this is particularly relevant I'm just curious.