NESSCC 22/5

Made or missed the shot of a lifetime? Share your shooting trips with everyone. Tell us about it. We won't laugh, honest!

Moderator: dromia

Sandgroper

NESSCC 22/5

#1 Post by Sandgroper »

Well, I shot the NESSCC competition for the first time yesterday, hosted by Aberdeen at Drums, and I have to say I didn't trouble the scorers overly.

The Destroyer is a lovely rifle but it's totally outclassed against the lever actions. :cry:
I manged to hold my own in the first stage (PP1) of the comp - speedwise, accuracy was another matter. I still can't remember reloading the magazine, but I must have to have got all 12 rounds down range in 2 minutes. :shock:

The second course of fire was too fast and there was no way I could keep up. I ended up with stoppages due to trying to cycle the bolt so quickly. I got to try it again with a Marlin (thanks John) and WOW! I have a new found respect for L/As - man they are fast. To seriously compete, I need a L/A and I need to practice. Out of principle and sheer stubberness I will continue to use the Destroyer for the remaining rounds and when it comes to the second CoF I will "aim" for accuracy over speed.

I borrowed a very nice 10/22 (thanks again, John) for 22lr comp and again I didn't trouble the scorers too much, but it was fun nevertheless. Considering the number of 10/22's on the go, my inate desire to be different means, if I can convince Grampian to let me have a third 22lr, I'll be choosing something else.

Special thanks to Mike357 for providing me with directions to the range at Drums, very nice to put a face to a name from the forum. Roll on the next round. :D
“The standard you walk past is the standard you accept.”

Lieutenant General David Morrison

I plink, therefore I shoot.
Mike357
Home club or Range: NRA, Bisley, Dundee Rifle & Pistol Club & Bishop Auckland GC

Re: NESSCC 22/5

#2 Post by Mike357 »

Indeed, good to meet you Sandgroper. I believe you have a PM re the 22 you talked about? Must be fate that the post appeared last night :lol:

I was trying to upload some pics of the Aberdeen Range but have a few tech problems today so will endeavour to post when fixed.

I see the competition monster is stirring within :D
It's not the pace of life that concerns me, it's the sudden stop at the end!
Sandgroper

#3 Post by Sandgroper »

I see the competition monster is stirring within :D
:lol:

It's always been there, but I like playing to my rules - hence the reason (stubborness) for not changing from the Destroyer at least for the rest of this year. :roll:

I'm sorely tempted by that EM-1. I'm just waiting for Grampian to get back to me with a answer for another 22lr. :D

I hope those pictures show how cold and windy it was.

Ovenpaa

#4 Post by Ovenpaa »

Great to hear you got the Destroyer out for a competition, any pictures of the event?
/d

Du lytter aldrig til de ord jeg siger. Du ser mig kun for det tøj jeg har paa ...

Shed Journal
Mike357
Home club or Range: NRA, Bisley, Dundee Rifle & Pistol Club & Bishop Auckland GC

#5 Post by Mike357 »

I would be really cross if Grampian refused it! It is to be purchased and used in competition hence the NEED for a semi auto. Your 22 was a B/A wasn't it? Tell them that is for bunny bashing if you have an open ticket or if not, tell them it is for bench rest or prone target shooting such as is being shot at the Wapinschaw!

If you can justify it then there shouldn't be a problem.
Mike357

#6 Post by Mike357 »

Not really pictures of the event but more of Aberdeen Full Bore Gun Club's Drums Ranges. They are situated north of Aberdeen on the northern edge of Trump's golf development. I was told that Trump Jr is interedted in shooting at Drums as he is a keen Hi-Power shooter I believe. 100yd and 50 yd range side by side. It's an excellent set up and a great location.

16th Green is just over that dune

A stone's throw from the North Sea

50yd & 100yd ranges, cleared to shoot at the same time which is cool.
Sandgroper

#7 Post by Sandgroper »

Mike357 wrote:I would be really cross if Grampian refused it! It is to be purchased and used in competition hence the NEED for a semi auto. Your 22 was a B/A wasn't it? Tell them that is for bunny bashing if you have an open ticket or if not, tell them it is for bench rest or prone target shooting such as is being shot at the Wapinschaw!

If you can justify it then there shouldn't be a problem.
I've e-mailed them with the reasons and justifications, the sticking point might be that I already have two 22lrs on my FAC - a L/A and a single shot B/A. It shouldn't be a problem, but it just depends on the day! We'll just have to see - I've asked anyway.

mr smith
Home club or Range: Dundee Rifle and Pistol Club

#8 Post by mr smith »

Pity i was working you could have seen the erma in action,indeed you could have had a play.
Sandgroper

#9 Post by Sandgroper »

mr smith wrote:Pity i was working you could have seen the erma in action,indeed you could have had a play.
Probably just as well, you weren't there - I would have been tempted to try and distract you and then run off with it. :lol: