My W-E

Made or missed the shot of a lifetime? Share your shooting trips with everyone. Tell us about it. We won't laugh, honest!
froggy
Home club or Range: HPRP (UK) + Corsaires Malouins (France) + Czech Rep

My W-E

#1 Post by froggy »

Couple of days work in Prague, then ... Week-End for myself :good:

I decided to play with my SVD so my local friend rented for me a range in Northern Bohemia, the old Sudetenland. In addition to the normal Czech Army surplus ammo, he also managed to get hold of couple of boxes of CCCP made for the NVA (East German Army) 7,62x54 ammo that they were shooting in their Dragunov.

After a very early Prague start & an hour+ drive, here we are in the mountains facing the fortress of Terezin. The place is simply awesome. It is an ex-military 300 meters (329 yards) range that we have just for us . How better could I spend my Sunday morning : amazing views, fresh air, blue skies ... and my 1986 made SVD. It is an ex-Hungarian police issued one with the original PSO-1 scope.

Here we go ...

From my previous shot with it at 100 meters I thought it was shooting a tad to the left & too high. What is interesting in this zeroing 300 shot with 1 click down is the difference of group size depending on the ammo used. I could not help thinking about our Comrad Snayperskaya's usual comments on how the SVD is getting bad press due to the inability of UK shooters to secure the correct ammo.

(guess which side was hit by the GDR ammo intended for the rifle)

My friend

The biggest downside of the SVD IMO is that the barrel heats up pretty quickly. So every 20/30 rounds we were using my M92 & my friend's Vz to let it cool down. The M92 is a short, compact rifle with only a 10 inches barrel & a very short sight radius. I got pleasantly surprised, ie : prone, resting on elbows, longer distance back sight (given for 450 meters) I was getting close to 95 % hit on a man's torso @ 300 meters at fairly rapid fire, which was well on par with the VZ's performances.

Guess what ... Can't wait to go back :good:
Want to shoot pistol ? Don't retreat... reload & run forward !!
http://dynamicshootingcz.co.uk/
BamBam

Re: My W-E

#2 Post by BamBam »

Superb, nothing better than a quiet range and few boxes of ammo. :good:
TattooedGun
Home club or Range: Dudley Rifle Club, WNSC, UKPSA, Bromsgrove

#3 Post by TattooedGun »

Range to yourself! Jammy so and so!

Looks like You had fun!

You're not the only one who can't wait to go back, unfortunately it'll be next year for me!! :'(
meles meles
Home club or Range: HBSA

#4 Post by meles meles »

*envious green glow*
Badger
CEO (Chief Excavatin' Officer)
Badger Korporashun

Quidquid latine dictum sit altum viditur.
"Quelle style, so British"
snayperskaya
Home club or Range: West Bank of the Volga.....

#5 Post by snayperskaya »

ussrflag Nice to see the SVD out Tovarisch ussrflag

With regard to the barrel temperature the official Soviet manual for the SVD states that the rate of fire should not exceed two rounds per minute, unless the combat situation dictates otherwise, in order to maintain optimum accuracy.

Over in Europe you may find some 7n1 sniper ammunition, made specifically for the SVD :good:
"The only real power comes out of a long rifle." - Joseph Stalin

Give a man a gun and he can rob a bank.....give a man a bank and he can rob the world!.

More than a vested interest in 7.62x54r!