Paper shotgun cases

All things shotgun related.

Moderator: dromia

Dave 101

Paper shotgun cases

#1 Post by Dave 101 »

Does any one know when paper cases where generaly superseeded by plastic cases .
As my house was built in 1965 and it has a ditch at the bottom of the garden which now backs onto allotments , since I moved in last May 2010 I have been cleaning out rubbish , soil and compost which had built up in the last 46 years , as the previous owner who lived there since it was built used the ditch as rubbish tip .
Any way I found a case the other day in the soil the metal was corroded so not able to read the head stamp but it did contain the remnants of the paper case , so its possible it was dropped pre 65 by someone out shooting when the area was farmland , now Iam a few hundred yards from the fields ,
I started shooting shotguns back in 1980 or just before and never fired a paper cased cart .
Any ideas

Dave
Porcupine

Re: Paper shotgun cases

#2 Post by Porcupine »

Remington introduced plastic shotshells in 1960. Federal made the transition from paper to plastic in 1965. So I'd say you're looking at the 1960s - but of course old ammunition would have been kicking about for a while after that.
pe4king
Home club or Range: Lydd Rifle Club.

#3 Post by pe4king »

I can remember using paper cased Ely Grand Prix in the mid 70s there were plenty of them about as well
What is a Sapper? This versatile genius condenses the whole system of military engineering and all that is useful and practical. He is a man of all work of the Army and the public ready to do anything or go anywhere, in short, he is a Sapper.
Ovenpaa

#4 Post by Ovenpaa »

...and in the early 80's it was Baikal cartridges, I quite liked the flame that exited the barrels...
/d

Du lytter aldrig til de ord jeg siger. Du ser mig kun for det tøj jeg har paa ...

Shed Journal