12 Bore versus 20 Bore

All things Hunting, Fishing, Wildlife and Conservation related.

Moderator: dromia

Forum rules
"The Dromia Rule"

Deer Stalking… reliable word of mouth recommendation from someone you know has undertaken such stalking being offered by a specific syndicate is best. Like other walks of life, stalking has its scammers. E.G., make sure there is deer, of the species sought, on the land being made available; that appropriate insurance is in place; that there is recourse for recompense if it all goes wrong. In addition, obtain and understand terms and conditions; consider the implications of allowing a syndicate leader to be a FAC mentor; make sure ‘coaches’ are suitably qualified; consider the quality of deer management, the construction & execution of a shooting plan and safety; determine if the land is over-shot.

If in doubt, contact BASC or similar.

http://www.basc.org.uk/

Anyone considered to be a scammer will be banned without warning.
Ovenpaa
Site Supporter Since 2015

12 Bore versus 20 Bore

#1 Post by Ovenpaa »

I use a 12 Bore O/U for Pigeon however I am thinking of looking for a 20 Bore to replace it. Is it worth the switch for Roost shooting and the occasional Rabbit?
/d

Du lytter aldrig til de ord jeg siger. Du ser mig kun for det tøj jeg har paa ...

Shed Journal
Rockhopper

Re: 12 Bore versus 20 Bore

#2 Post by Rockhopper »

One well respected Shotgun dealer (whose name escapes me) says in one of his YouTube videos that unless you are especially small and not very strong he would discourage people from buying a 20 bore over a 12 bore. His line is why handicap yourself unless you really need to?
Blackstuff

#3 Post by Blackstuff »

As above. What is the reason for wanting a 20bore? Cost of a new gun + less lead in the air + more expensive cartridges... Unless i had a very good reason i wouldn't bother.
DVC
DaveB
Home club or Range: Wellington Service Rifle Assocaition; NZ Deerstalkers Association; Wairarapa Pistol & Shooting Sports Club

#4 Post by DaveB »

I actually prefer 20 bore. The guns are generally lighter, quicker handling, and while I am not exactly recoil sensitive, they are more pleasant to shoot.

Here in NZ there's another reason 20 bore is so popular - there's not a lot of steel shot available for it. So while 12 bore shooters are handicapped by these ridiculous lead shot bans, 20 and smaller bore guns are not included (yet). So a lot of duck shooters have switched to 20 bore.
tackb

#5 Post by tackb »

20 bore ? next you'll be shaving your beard off and wearing ladys underwear !
Ovenpaa

#6 Post by Ovenpaa »

tackb wrote:20 bore ? next you'll be shaving your beard off and wearing ladys underwear !
Beard went first of January, all I have now is a very neatly trimmed drug dealing goatee to go with my short hair. I will treat that second comment with the contempt it deserves lol

I was mostly thinking of shooting like for like so still with 28 grams of #6 just in a lighter frame.
/d

Du lytter aldrig til de ord jeg siger. Du ser mig kun for det tøj jeg har paa ...

Shed Journal
tackb

#7 Post by tackb »

Ovenpaa wrote:
tackb wrote:20 bore ? next you'll be shaving your beard off and wearing ladys underwear !
Beard went first of January, all I have now is a very neatly trimmed drug dealing goatee to go with my short hair. I will treat that second comment with the contempt it deserves lol

I was mostly thinking of shooting like for like so still with 28 grams of #6 just in a lighter frame.
28g is a heavy load for 20b , 24g is more where you should be

people often try and make a 20b a 12b with heavier loads but to be honest your better sticking with a 12 , sure you get longer shot strings which may flatter your style of shooting but in my experience you get a better pattern with a 12 , you can get some lovely light 12 bores if that's what you want?
dromia
Site Admin
Home club or Range: The Highlands of Scotland. Cycling Proficiency 1964. Felton & District rifle club. Teesdale Pistol and Rifle club.

#8 Post by dromia »

I really like these small shotgun bores, when you can hit moving quarry with one you know you have your eye in.

Light and handy and a good challenge could be considered more sporting as well, one of the best game shots I ever saw used a 20 bore for all feathered quarry shooting from grouse to snipe and he rarely missed, I also think that his high strike rate was due to the fact then he knew when not to pull the trigger as much as his astonishing ability to hit what he aimed at.

Come on Bambi get some

Imperial Good Metric Bad
Analogue Good Digital Bad

Fecking stones

Real farmers don't need subsidies

Cow's farts matter!

For fine firearms and requisites visit

http://www.pukkabundhooks.com/
Kungfugerbil
Past Supporter

#9 Post by Kungfugerbil »

I have a few 12 bores but am always on the lookout for a nice 20,28 or 410. When built on a dedicated small scale action, they handle very nicely indeed. 410 days were something of a trend this game season - seperates the handy from the dandy...
Phil19
Home club or Range: Not a member of any club yet. Live in Llanelli area west wales

#10 Post by Phil19 »

I use both and an ounce of lead in the air from either bore put in the right place does the job for me. Some of my most memorable shots have been with a twenty. I have a beretta 686 classic 20 bore and it's a joy to use.
:wales: