Greater London and South-East Regional Rep needed!

News from the National Rifle Association (UK)

Moderator: dromia

Forum rules
Please note that the NRA section has been locked until further notice.
Ovenpaa

Re: Greater London and South-East Regional Rep needed!

#11 Post by Ovenpaa »

I am in that frozen wasteland known as Bedfordshire so I think I am outside the area.
/d

Du lytter aldrig til de ord jeg siger. Du ser mig kun for det tøj jeg har paa ...

Shed Journal
rox

#12 Post by rox »

HeatherW762 wrote:Just about to email it out to those members eligible to stand. So if you get it you are..... :) :)
Whoopee I'm eligible!

Now to dig out my horned mask and Darth Vader cloak, and practice drinking snake's blood.

dodgyrog
Home club or Range: Three Counties Sporting Club & Gardners Guns

#13 Post by dodgyrog »

IainWR wrote:
dodgyrog wrote:J
As an aside, whilst on the NRA website I went to have a look at the General Council Minutes (yes I know I am a bit sad!); it seems there have only been 2 meetings of the Council since September 2009. At a time of difficulty (to put it mildly) I am very surprised at this. Does it mean that the GC doesn't do much and that a selected few do the running of the NRA, or that the NRA don't put all the minutes on the web site?
Are there meetings held of which we are not allowed to see the minutes (confidential items aside)?
Please discuss.
Hi

General Council meets 3 times a year. To say they "don't do much" is not entirely accurate. Their function is to represent the views of the membership to The Council (Board of Trustees) who are the people with the real power. However, things GC does include:

Elect their own Chairman, who is then ex officio Chairman of Trustees and Chairman of the Association - and who can be dismissed by General Council if they so chose.
Elect 6 of their number to the Shooting Committee, as well as the ten or so discipline reps who sit on Shooting Committee
Elect 3 of their number to be Trustees
Appoint the other Trustees
Elect 5 of their number to form the Membership Committee
Appoint the Disciplinary Body
Vote on the appointment of GB Target Rifle Captains
Ask awkward questions of the Shooting Committee, Membership Committee, Trustees and NSC, thereby (one would like to hope) keeping them on their toes.

The trustees meet about every 6 weeks or so, and are in pretty much constant communication at other times - the volume of email traffic flowing between the trustees is absolutley staggering. Sub-groups of the trustees meet at other times - most notably, there is currently a fortnightly meeting between a trustee working group and senior NSC staff.

The Board of NSC Ltd, who run Bisley Camp itself, is appointed by the Trustees, who collectively are the sole shareholder in NSC Ltd.

All the minutes of these various organisations should eventually end up on the website, though sometimes the process is quite delayed - the minutes can't be made public until they are formally agreed by the relevant organisation and accepted by whichever organisation supervises them in turn. Obviously, there are some confidential minutes.

One thing that is worth pushing for is to get the agendas of the various meetings into the public domain, so that people know in advance what's being discussed and can submit views to the relevant representative. I know this has been asked for, but I'm not sure if its actually happening.

Iain
Only 2 sets of minutes since 11 09 2009 - what does that mean?
Purveyor of fine cast boolits.
All round good guy and VERY grumpy old man.
dodgyrog
Home club or Range: Three Counties Sporting Club & Gardners Guns

#14 Post by dodgyrog »

rox wrote:
HeatherW762 wrote:Just about to email it out to those members eligible to stand. So if you get it you are..... :) :)
Whoopee I'm eligible!

Now to dig out my horned mask and Darth Vader cloak, and practice drinking snake's blood.

Spot on, we'd make a good team.
Purveyor of fine cast boolits.
All round good guy and VERY grumpy old man.
Ovenpaa

#15 Post by Ovenpaa »

rox wrote:Whoopee I'm eligible!

Now to dig out my horned mask and Darth Vader cloak, and practice drinking snake's blood...
Do you want me to start saving my chicken bones for you? ;)
/d

Du lytter aldrig til de ord jeg siger. Du ser mig kun for det tøj jeg har paa ...

Shed Journal
Christel
Site Admin

#16 Post by Christel »

ovenpaa wrote:

Now to dig out my horned mask and Darth Vader cloak, and practice drinking snake's blood...
Oh ye of little faith.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Ovenpaa, considering I hardly saw you this weekend and you have just got yourself a new lathe....even if you were eligible, no you are not standing!
StanDeasy

#17 Post by StanDeasy »

All current paid-up NRA members are eligible.

You don't have to reside in the Region but you need three Proposers who do.
20series
Home club or Range: Oundle R&PC

#18 Post by 20series »

christel wrote:
ovenpaa wrote:

Oh ye of little faith.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Ovenpaa, considering I hardly saw you this weekend and you have just got yourself a new lathe....even if you were eligible, no you are not standing!
That's you told then :lol: :lol:
A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools!!
Douglas Adams, 1952-2001 RIP
IainWR
Home club or Range: NRA Bisley

#19 Post by IainWR »

[/quote]
Only 2 sets of minutes since 11 09 2009 - what does that mean?[/quote]

It means that the Winter 2010 and spring 2010 minutes are up. The autumn 2010 and winter 2011 minutes, which should be up, aren't.

I will have a word.

Iain