I need to test something nothing to do with shooting

Testing 1,2,3 Testing - If you want to test how to post this is the place.
safetyfirst
Past Supporter

Re: I need to test something nothing to do with shooting

#51 Post by safetyfirst »

In the UK we lag far far behind, Spain, Portugal, Greece, France, all heavy heavy public sector Linux use. It's not lagging behind in development, it's just desktop/ui and desktop application where it's behind.

Linux runs the Internet and the economy.
HALODIN
Home club or Range: Oundle Rifle & Pistol Club

#52 Post by HALODIN »

I didn't mean it can't perform in the corporate arena, it's just it doesn't perform as well as the Microsoft suite. Yes you'd make a huge savings on licencing, but there's probably no short term net gain once you've retrained your staff and integrated with systems that must remain on a Windows platform. The battle's not over yet though...
Ovenpaa wrote:It is a corporate alternative in the form of quite a few distributions, I remember reading an article on a Police force who made the move a few years ago. The cost of move including hardware was less than the Microsoft licensing alone. Not sure if they made a go of it though...
HALODIN
Home club or Range: Oundle Rifle & Pistol Club

#53 Post by HALODIN »

That's what I meant, but it's not just a little bit behind, it's miles behind.
safetyfirst wrote:it's just desktop/ui and desktop application where it's behind.
safetyfirst
Past Supporter

#54 Post by safetyfirst »

Yeah, it's a shame too. Though when I spent some time recently with the latest mint Linux and open office, I was very surprised at the general quality of the whole thing. The elementary Linux guys are also doing interesting work.

It's great for the hobbyist but you're right, not a patch on the desktop experience billions of dollars of investment buys you!