Merlin Engine on sea bed

Somewhere to share your tales, anecdotes and memories from past days.

Moderator: dromia

Forum rules
Please remember to respect the copyright of the author. Please do not post content from this section elsewhere without the specific permission of the author.
Gazoo
Home club or Range: Bishop Auckland

Merlin Engine on sea bed

#1 Post by Gazoo »

Just sitting this morning at breakfast looking at colour photos of what looks very much like a Merlin engine, 27.5 metres below me on the sea bed.
We are 18 km off the Norfolk coast and the sea bed survey is covered with UXOs (thanks to the US airforce shedding on return run I think). Any way, the ones we are going over get ID'd by ROV in case they are near or on the surface .
This one turns out to be an aircraft engine and the side we can see seems to have 6 cylinders, so could be a V12.
Anyway I think it could be a Merlin, what it was attached to is either rotted away or under the sand but there aren't any traces from survey. It could have been from a Lancaster, spitfire or more likely a Hurricane. I googled and even the Mustangs used them made by packard in the US. There is a bit of prop sticking out of the sand.
We don't disturb this as it is classed as an archeological site. We dont disturb the others as they can blow up. We are ploughing a furrow and laying a cable into it at the same time so it is important not to plough through a 1000lb bomb , well it is important for me!
Can't put a photo in (intellectual property or some such)
Still, wonder who was in control of that engine before it went down over 70 yrs ago.
Alea Jacta Est
Ovenpaa
Site Supporter Since 2015

Re: Merlin Engine on sea bed

#2 Post by Ovenpaa »

Humph, a picture would have been interesting.
/d

Du lytter aldrig til de ord jeg siger. Du ser mig kun for det tøj jeg har paa ...

Shed Journal
Gazoo

#3 Post by Gazoo »

I will ask !
Alea Jacta Est
Meaty
Home club or Range: Grove Small Arms.Thetford Gallery, STANTA, Barton Road

#4 Post by Meaty »

The Norfolk coast is littered with stuff-I can remember back in the 70's the amount of times we watched the bomb disposal folks turning up on the beaches around Mundesley to cart something away-there were always mines washing up! My dad and a few friends dug out the undercarriage struts and wheel from a Lancaster that had been sitting in Blakeney harbour for years. The sands are always shifting there and this chunk of history became exposed,managed to put holes in the hulls of a few sailing boats so had to be removed. Not sure where it went to but I will try and find out.
"There are four boxes to be used in the defence of liberty: soap, ballot, jury and ammo. Please use in that order."
Gazoo

#5 Post by Gazoo »

Engine.jpg
Finally
all data has been removed to avoid any problems.
Alea Jacta Est
Ovenpaa

#6 Post by Ovenpaa »

Thank you for that, very interesting. Do you know if any previously unknown vessels are ever found in such surveys?
/d

Du lytter aldrig til de ord jeg siger. Du ser mig kun for det tøj jeg har paa ...

Shed Journal
Gazoo

#7 Post by Gazoo »

I am sure they are but I have not been on a project when a vessel has been found. We survey a very narrow corridor but I did spend some time off liverpool looking at a big UXO that turned out to be a fridge freezer !!
We put cables in but the turbine installers do wider surveys cos they dont want the spud cans (legs of a jack up vessel) crushing a 100lb bomb - that would be a bad thing!
wooden vessels would not show up probably but cannons would.
Alea Jacta Est

#8 Post by 1066 »

That's interesting - pity we can't see more. So what have we got? Pairs of pushrods sticking up? Are those air/exhaust holes? Is it a cylinder block with the head removed? Is that a hint of a supercharger at the back? Is it a 1960's Ford Zodiac?

The Merlin was use in loads of stuff, Mosquitoes, Halifax, Wellingtons, etc. around forty types in all and also the Packard copy used in the MTB's.
Last edited by 1066 on Mon May 09, 2016 8:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
TARGETMASTER
an altogether better trickler
www.targetmasteruk.com
Gazoo

#9 Post by Gazoo »

Bloody hell, my dad had a zodiac in the 60s when I was a nipper, cant remember the feeling of a supercharger kicking in.....plus it was either the best Thelma and louise suicide jump in history or the worst ferry ride if it is a car !!
Alea Jacta Est
TomH
Site Supporter Since 2017
Home club or Range: ORPC

#10 Post by TomH »

1066 wrote:That's interesting - pity we can't see more. So what have we got? Pairs of pushrods sticking up? Are those air/exhaust holes? Is it a cylinder block with the head removed? Is that a hint of a supercharger at the back? Is it a 1960's Ford Zodiac?

The Merlin was use in loads of stuff, Mosquitoes, Halifax, Wellingtons, etc. around forty types in all and also the Packard copy used in the MTB's.
Looks like the alloy head and most of the alloy cylinder block has corroded away, leaving the cylinder liners and cylinder studs sticking out.