F class long range comp 2-3rd July

Made or missed the shot of a lifetime? Share your shooting trips with everyone. Tell us about it. We won't laugh, honest!

Moderator: dromia

Ovenpaa

Re: F class long range comp 2-3rd July

#11 Post by Ovenpaa »

Next time to Stickledown I will take my AI - I am tempted to load up some 190's having seen how James got on with them at 1200 last week.
/d

Du lytter aldrig til de ord jeg siger. Du ser mig kun for det tøj jeg har paa ...

Shed Journal
Dangermouse

#12 Post by Dangermouse »

Talking with the other competitors there appears to be quite a shift to wards the heavier projectiles. Certainly several I spoke to were using over 200 gn's. Don't forget this was the long range comp, many have different loads for different distances, and I doubt many are using heavy projectiles under 1000 yards.

I have mentioned it before but it is a shame that we do not list who is using what with the scores - I know most shooters are friendly enough if you ask them, so I am sure there is not a secrecy thing going on.

I am going to try and get some Berger 185's, that is as heavy as I wish to go at the moment.

Something that I forgot to mention in my previous posts, is that I am always surprised by the amount of concentration and stamina you need for shooting these two day events. I know I caught myself wishing one string of 20 was over already.
I have to congratulate the guys who take part in week long competitions and indeed anyone doing most of the Imperial F Class comps, or planning on going to Raton for the 2013 World Champs. It is certainly not something that you can just walk in off the street and do well at.

Noticeable absences were Heather and Gun Pimp, I guess they are both busy in their own fields at the moment, both were missed,
DM
Without order and without a goal, six million people unarmed and unprovisioned, driving headlong. It was the beginning of the rout of civilisation, of the massacre of mankind.
Forever Autumn, War of the Worlds.
Gun Pimp

#13 Post by Gun Pimp »

DM - I've never shot the long-range League comp. - 1200 yds with a 308? Scary!

I use a Leupold 36BR scope on my F/TR gun as it weighs only one pound and it does have limited elevation adjustment. Even with a tapered rail, I only have about five MOA spare over my 1000 yard setting. Anything heavier, and I would be over-weight.

But, my next goal is the World Benchrest Championships in France next month and I spent the whole of Saturday (first good day for ages) testing various makes of bullet etc. in readiness.

I will be shooting the Diggle comp. in August, though having said that, I've just found that my 308 barrel is 'goosed' - after only about 1200 rounds - I'm a bit surprised to say the least and I'm wondering if it's the N540 double-base powder.

Vince
HeatherW762
Home club or Range: OSM, NRA Bisley

#14 Post by HeatherW762 »

[quote=

Noticeable absences were Heather and Gun Pimp, I guess they are both busy in their own fields at the moment, both were missed,
DM[/quote]

Unfortunately I had to work this weekend :cry: :cry:

The NRASC were involved in the falling plates competition on Pirbright. Didn't get anywhere but considering that we had 14 borrowed rifles and most of them hadn't shot anything like it, we were just in it for fun. However next year....... :) :)

Really missing competition at the moment but at least I have used my little free time wisely and am building a decent stock of ammo for the Imperial!

Heather
Beauty is in the eye of the beholder and it may be necessary from time to time to give a stupid or misinformed beholder a black eye (Miss Piggy)