Spare keys

New to the sport? Or just not sussed something out yet? Please ask your questions in here, there are many experienced shooters on the forum and someone will for sure come along and answer your question. This is a section for new shooters so if anyone can think of something please submit it.

Moderator: dromia

X2001xr

Spare keys

#1 Post by X2001xr »

Evening All,
What advice do you have with regards to secure(practically) store the spare keys.

Currently 3(front, 2nd and cabinet) locked doors between the rifles and the street

I have a pair of key holders to the 1st door.
Ovenpaa
Site Supporter Since 2015

Re: Spare keys

#2 Post by Ovenpaa »

I have ours divided into two places and both are under individual lock and key plus not obvious. Probably the most positive recent security step was to inadvertently bend to 90 degrees the only spare key to the armoury whilst in the lock, it came out OK but broke when I went to straighten it so we just have one apiece which are always kept on our persons.
/d

Du lytter aldrig til de ord jeg siger. Du ser mig kun for det tøj jeg har paa ...

Shed Journal
bradaz11
Sporadic Site Supporter
Home club or Range: The tunnel at Charmouth, BWSS

#3 Post by bradaz11 »

store the spare key somewhere not at home, like in a locker/desk at work.
When guns are outlawed, only Outlaws will have guns
BamBam

#4 Post by BamBam »

Depends how many safes you have, layer all safe with some keys so they need to be opened in a certain order to get the right key for each subsequent safe, number and code each key so only you know what they're for. Keep many other random keys in amongst them.

I never throw keys away...
20series
Site Supporter Since 2019
Home club or Range: Oundle R&PC

#5 Post by 20series »

I have a digital safe for ammo so I keep my cabinet keys in there.

Alan
A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools!!
Douglas Adams, 1952-2001 RIP
Blackstuff
Site Supporter Since 2015

#6 Post by Blackstuff »

I used to carry mine with me all the time but I already have a ridiculous bunch of keys so took them off to reduce weight. I then kept them in a separate ammo safe for a while and now have them in a key safe which is hidden, and feel this is the best option for me.
DVC
X2001xr

#7 Post by X2001xr »

Ovenpaa wrote:I have ours divided into two places and both are under individual lock and key plus not obvious. Probably the most positive recent security step was to inadvertently bend to 90 degrees the only spare key to the armoury whilst in the lock, it came out OK but broke when I went to straighten it so we just have one apiece which are always kept on our persons.
Hi Ovenpaa,
I think that's what I'll do(except the bend to 90 :) )
R
X2001xr

#8 Post by X2001xr »

bradaz11 wrote:store the spare key somewhere not at home, like in a locker/desk at work.
Hi bradas11,
I can see the logic in this but as I work from my home address the next logical place would be in a vehicle.
R
X2001xr

#9 Post by X2001xr »

BamBam wrote:Depends how many safes you have, layer all safe with some keys so they need to be opened in a certain order to get the right key for each subsequent safe, number and code each key so only you know what they're for. Keep many other random keys in amongst them.

I never throw keys away...
Hi BamBam,
currently I have 1 safe with internal ammo locker, we have a shared safe for documents and as my other half is not an FAC or SCG holder I don't feel comfortable(in the legal sense) in storing the keys in there.

I'm also a hoarder of disused keys but the keys to the safe still stand out with the double edge blade.

thanks
R
X2001xr

#10 Post by X2001xr »

20series wrote:I have a digital safe for ammo so I keep my cabinet keys in there.

Alan
Hi Alan,
I feel that would be moving the problem as with the digital safe you also get a spare key to override the lock should the battery die.

but 1 spare key is better than 2 so I do see your point.
R