New member and some advice please

New to the sport? Or just not sussed something out yet? Please ask your questions in here, there are many experienced shooters on the forum and someone will for sure come along and answer your question. This is a section for new shooters so if anyone can think of something please submit it.

Moderator: dromia

Blackstuff
Site Supporter Since 2015

Re: New member and some advice please

#41 Post by Blackstuff »

Its different rules for an RFD though surely David??

When I went through my grant my FEO actually laughed at me when he saw what I was asking for and the size of the lock top ammo portion of my cabinet. He had to come back to re-inspect the ammo safe that I had to quickly go out and buy, but he was coming back anyway for an upgraded door lock anyway.
DVC
dromia
Site Admin
Home club or Range: The Highlands of Scotland. Cycling Proficiency 1964. Felton & District rifle club. Teesdale Pistol and Rifle club.

#42 Post by dromia »

johnson3392 wrote: As for blackpowder I've been told I don't need an explosives licence if I use Pyrodex or similar for a cap and ball revolver.
I wouldn't bother with Pyrodex, its fouling is severely hygroscopic and starts rusting your gun almost immediately if there is the slightest amount of moisture in the air, which in the UK is all of the time. I have far too much respect for my black powder firearms to use "substitute" powders in then.

Just get/make your box and apply for your explosive licence and be done with it, it doesn't cost anything. Even if you do go the damned Pyrodex route initially you will still end up getting the black powder license.

Trust me I am not a doctor.

Come on Bambi get some

Imperial Good Metric Bad
Analogue Good Digital Bad

Fecking stones

Real farmers don't need subsidies

Cow's farts matter!

For fine firearms and requisites visit

http://www.pukkabundhooks.com/
johnson3392
Home club or Range: Blackburn, Altcar and Rossendale

#43 Post by johnson3392 »

This is all interesting stuff. It looks as if it entirely depends on the area you are in and the discretion of the FEO. I note that the LANCON website re' application for FAC advises you not to do anything about installation of cabinets or any other physical security before the FEO visit.

As for blackpowder (thank you dromia) nobody has mentioned this to me before. As suggested, might as well apply for the licence at the same time.
Rockhopper

#44 Post by Rockhopper »

Thats exactly what shouldn't happen - they shouldn't make up their own rules (although many do...)

https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/s ... 16_v20.pdf

I keep re-posting the link above - its a very easy to read document and its the law so its important you understand it even if the FAO doesn't :-)

If you don't have a cabinet and adequate security in place at the time of his visit he will have to come back again further delaying the process.....
GeeRam
Home club or Range: PSC, Bisley

#45 Post by GeeRam »

Alpha1 wrote:Thats not what my fiearms enquiry officer told me he only allowed the amount of ammunitoin I could safely store.
Same with mine, and at least 2 other fellow club members who have applied for FAC's in the past 12 months (with two different forces)
GeeRam
Home club or Range: PSC, Bisley

#46 Post by GeeRam »

Rockhopper wrote: If you don't have a cabinet and adequate security in place at the time of his visit he will have to come back again further delaying the process.....
Exactly.

And with some forces response times, that could be mean you going down to the bottom of the queue again!!
johnson3392
Home club or Range: Blackburn, Altcar and Rossendale

#47 Post by johnson3392 »

GeeRam wrote:
Rockhopper wrote: If you don't have a cabinet and adequate security in place at the time of his visit he will have to come back again further delaying the process.....
Exactly.

And with some forces response times, that could be mean you going down to the bottom of the queue again!!
Well, I had very pleasant and interesting telephone conversation with the FEO (Peter) for Lancs Constabulary today. Their website information is correct. Do nothing about cabinet installation until the FEO has made a first visit. Their reason is that they don't want to give the impression that pre-installing a cabinet leads to an automatic grant of FAC. It could also be in an ill-advised location, badly installed or not to the recommended standard which means you're definitely back to bottom of the queue.

Current turnaround for an initial FAC for my area is approx 4 months. Not all that bad I suppose.
Rockhopper

#48 Post by Rockhopper »

I would think that most applicants have a good idea if they are going to be granted or not. Personally i had no reason to think i'd be refused so i got my cabinet first (no advice given in my area though).
Total time taken - five weeks :-)
RDC

#49 Post by RDC »

Rockhopper, Lancs are inundated with work, people don't even expect a variation back in 5 weeks.
Rockhopper

#50 Post by Rockhopper »

I know, its a rubbish system.