New member and some advice please

New to the sport? Or just not sussed something out yet? Please ask your questions in here, there are many experienced shooters on the forum and someone will for sure come along and answer your question. This is a section for new shooters so if anyone can think of something please submit it.

Moderator: dromia

johnson3392
Home club or Range: Blackburn, Altcar and Rossendale

Re: New member and some advice please

#51 Post by johnson3392 »

RDC wrote:Rockhopper, Lancs are inundated with work, people don't even expect a variation back in 5 weeks.
Yes, I did get an apology from the FEO about the anticipated time. Interestingly, he said that they had no problem in receiving and starting the process if the applicant was not yet a full member of their club. If the applicant was within, say, 2 months of gaining full membership, then the enquiry process would soon show if they had a 'good reason' or not for grant. All they wanted was a note on the Other Information page to state when you expect full membership.

The FEO went as far to say he wanted this message passed to all club secretaries and not just mine (within Lancs of course).
Ovenpaa
Site Supporter Since 2015

#52 Post by Ovenpaa »

Blackstuff wrote:Its different rules for an RFD though surely David??

When I went through my grant my FEO actually laughed at me when he saw what I was asking for and the size of the lock top ammo portion of my cabinet. He had to come back to re-inspect the ammo safe that I had to quickly go out and buy, but he was coming back anyway for an upgraded door lock anyway.
Mark, certainly some things will be different for an RFD in a commercial premises however I have seen more onerous conditions placed on some FAC holders for security and holding and equally I can think of some FAC holders who hold far more when it comes to ammunition and firearms versus some RFD's

The one which really sticks in my mind was a part time RFD who came to me for some specific items and forwarded a copy of RFD which mentioned some very specific items and their location within his house, sadly something I cannot discuss in the public domain however it was a real eye opener. :p
/d

Du lytter aldrig til de ord jeg siger. Du ser mig kun for det tøj jeg har paa ...

Shed Journal
johnson3392

Re: New member an2 months into probationary d some advice pl

#53 Post by johnson3392 »

Good evening again,

Time for an update having been a full member of my indoor club since December 2016 and 2 months into probationary membership of my fullbore outdoor club. I've used a variety of club rifles in most calibres and have now reduced my initial wish list to:

.22LR for indoor target shooting
7.62/.308 for TR/FTR
.303 for classic military rifle shooting
7.92x57 (Mauser) as above

I reckon thats enough choice for my needs of not too serious target shooting and plinking.

Ammo holdings will be scaled down to 500 rounds of .22LR and I can't see myself needing any more than 200 rounds of fullbore ammo for each calibre if my average Sunday club expenditure is anything to go by.

As for FAC Lancashire Constabulary tell me that applications received in September 2016 are still awaiting processing. My application was received in December 2016 so I can't see any visit taking place before May or June at the earliest. All to be expected I suppose.
RDC

#54 Post by RDC »

Lancs are currently recruiting FLO admin staff to help deal with the backlog.
johnson3392

#55 Post by johnson3392 »

Thanks RDC. I can't complain about speed of response or courtesy with dealings so far. Philosophical patience will run out at some stage however.
Rambles35
Home club or Range: NRA

#56 Post by Rambles35 »

Ammo boxes at the top of gun cabinets are usually very small.

Anyone wanting to hold a reasonable amount of ammo, say 100+ rounds, should buy a separate ammo safe.
Also good for storing bolts....
Ovenpaa
Site Supporter Since 2015

#57 Post by Ovenpaa »

We use Brattonsound Sentinel SC2S cabinets for ammunition, bolts and actions. They work well, have two shelves as standard so you can fill them quite comfortably and they are a sensible price. It may seem like an overkill for the average FAC holder however if you have the space they are a sound investment and make life so much easier.
/d

Du lytter aldrig til de ord jeg siger. Du ser mig kun for det tøj jeg har paa ...

Shed Journal
Geek
Site Supporter Since 2020
Home club or Range: Diggle Range and Rossendale Fusiliers

#58 Post by Geek »

I use a breakdown shotgun safe (and the internal safe within one of the cabinets) as my main ammunition cabinet. It is surprising how much space is need to store a reasonable amounts of ammunition, and also how much it can cost if you don't reload. I only reload .308 and 6.5CM at the moment, so have to purchase .223. .38sp and .357mag, in addition to .22rf which we all have to purchase.
Regards,

Geek

AI AT (.308/6.5CM), Ruger PR (6.5CM), American Rimfire (.22LR), Remington 700 (.223), Marlin underlever .38/.357/.44, Savage 6BR, RimfireMagic .22LR, Fabarm Lion (s1), Fabarm Axis Baikal S/S