Lancaster rebuild

Somewhere to share your tales, anecdotes and memories from past days.

Moderator: dromia

Forum rules
Please remember to respect the copyright of the author. Please do not post content from this section elsewhere without the specific permission of the author.
Chuck

Lancaster rebuild

#1 Post by Chuck »

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... tored.html
Historic Lancaster bomber will be taken apart piece by piece and painstakingly restored in a £3.5million project to get it flying again by 2020

Lancaster Avro NX611 'Just Jane' is undergoing a mammoth restoration in East Kirkby, Lincolnshire
Workers are taking aircraft to pieces, checking every component and putting it back together again
Project costing around £3.5million aims to have the historic aircraft taking to the skies again by 2020
Plane was built by Austin Motors in Longbridge near Birmingham in April 1945 but did not see service
Political Correctness is the language of lies, written by the corrupt , spoken by the inept!
Site Supporter Since 2015

Re: Lancaster rebuild

#2 Post by 1066 »

Great news Chuck - I've seen this Lanc, it's on a chicken farm in "Ovenpaa" country. When I was chatting to one of the old boys who own it, maybe 7-8 years ago, he told me then that they hoped to get it back in the air, he told me they have some new crated engines for it. It regularly does taxi runs down the runway.
TARGETMASTER
an altogether better trickler
www.targetmasteruk.com
ArcofZen
Home club or Range: Tunnel Club Charmouth

#3 Post by ArcofZen »

Excellent stuff, not many of these left now is there? The great news is that they intend flying it, not just putting it in a museum. I saw the Vulcan many times but was still guttted when it was grounded.
Wreck diving heaven... https://youtu.be/SC3QXpVy15s
Ovenpaa

#4 Post by Ovenpaa »

I kno of it however we have not been down to see it yet. I did manage to stand on the wing of an English Electric Lightening though :)
/d

Du lytter aldrig til de ord jeg siger. Du ser mig kun for det tøj jeg har paa ...

Shed Journal
HALODIN
Home club or Range: Oundle Rifle & Pistol Club

#5 Post by HALODIN »

Excellent news. :good:

#6 Post by 1066 »

Ovenpaa wrote:I kno of it however we have not been down to see it yet. I did manage to stand on the wing of an English Electric Lightening though :)
Well worth a zip down the A16 on a sunny Saturday afternoon. They used to have a few planes at Hemswell but they all seemed to disappear a couple of years ago.

There's also a "Tall Boy" bomb standing in a garden in Halton-le-clay.
TARGETMASTER
an altogether better trickler
www.targetmasteruk.com
GeeRam
Home club or Range: PSC, Bisley

#7 Post by GeeRam »

The Canadian Warplane Heritage that fly the 'other' airworthy Lanc, which they flew over do a UK tour back in 2014, have hinted that if/when Just Jane flys again, they may well consider flying their Lanc back over again, as the chance to get all 3 flying together would be just too much to resist.......and the last time that 3 flew together in the UK was when they filmed The Dambusters in 1954/5.
snayperskaya
Past Supporter
Home club or Range: West Bank of the Volga.....

#8 Post by snayperskaya »

On a similar note the Memphis Belle is being restored in the States.....

http://www.warbirdsnews.com/aviation-mu ... pdate.html
"The only real power comes out of a long rifle." - Joseph Stalin

Give a man a gun and he can rob a bank.....give a man a bank and he can rob the world!.

More than a vested interest in 7.62x54r!
Ovenpaa

#9 Post by Ovenpaa »

1066 wrote:Well worth a zip down the A16 on a sunny Saturday afternoon. They used to have a few planes at Hemswell but they all seemed to disappear a couple of years ago.

There's also a "Tall Boy" bomb standing in a garden in Halton-le-clay.
We have a Lightening in a garden just up the road, apparently the chap who lives there also has a Lightening flight simulator however I have only ever driven past so cannot confirm this.

Is that Holton or Halton, if it is the former it is just to the North East of us and we venture that way quite often when heading to the club or the coast with the dogs.
/d

Du lytter aldrig til de ord jeg siger. Du ser mig kun for det tøj jeg har paa ...

Shed Journal
20series
Site Supporter Since 2019
Home club or Range: Oundle R&PC

#10 Post by 20series »

The movie Memphis Belle was filmed at RAF Binbrooke near where Ovenpaa and Christel now live teanews

Alan
A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools!!
Douglas Adams, 1952-2001 RIP