Had FEO visit today...not sure if positive or not.

Anything shooting related including law and procedure questions.

Moderator: dromia

Forum rules
Should your post be in Grumpy Old Men? This area is for general shooting related posts only please.
Lozza79

Had FEO visit today...not sure if positive or not.

#1 Post by Lozza79 »

FEO came to see me today regarding my variation to add three full bore firearms to my ticket- 7.92, .308 and 7.62 Mosin. He asked what I wanted them for and I explained they were specifically for target, that I have an interest in historic military firearms and that I have use of the Bisley ranges and have just become a member of two other MOD range clubs. He didn't seem very keen on the fact that I was still a probationary member of the other two clubs. I told him I was advised by the club sec to apply for the variation straight off as it would be okay. He told me it was bad advice and that he hears it all too often. He quizzed me on my security and asked to see my cabinet which he seemed content with. Then he asked me what home security I had, what locks I had on the front door, and if my windows were double glazed with locks and I explained they were. I said I was getting a burglar alarm and he's response was 'do it'. He said' 'I don't mean to sound rude, but you're living in a ground floor flat in a built up area in the middle of town.' He went on to say that any added security is a very good idea. He also suggested I would need an extra ammo safe for the bigger calibers. Then he asked if I had to remove a caliber from my list what would it be? I said the Mosin rifle, but preferably I want to keep all three if I can. He then clarified that 'so your reasons for wanting these firearms is your interest in them and target shooting?', to which I replied yes. Then he said that he would take it back to the office for them to make a decision as it wasn't up to him. I'm kind of disappointed as I was hoping to be given some answers and the whole thing left me feeling a little uncertain now. There was no clear yes or no. Opinions on this please. I'll update when I hear back.
HALODIN
Home club or Range: Oundle Rifle & Pistol Club

Re: Had FEO visit today...not sure if positive or not.

#2 Post by HALODIN »

If they knock you down a slot, I think you should contest it. If you're a full member of an existing club and the number of firearms on your certificate is not contentious, then there's no reason you shouldn't be granted your full variation. I'd say play it cool and politely stand your ground if they try and knock you back. If you have your alarm fitted before you get the final answer it's going to help.
saddler
Home club or Range: NTSA, East Scotland Rifle Club, Vintage Arms Scotland (guest at competitions), Carlisle Small Arms Club (guest for PSG matches)

#3 Post by saddler »

His comment about the alarm was a bit off the cuff....unless your property is adjacent to a jewellers shop or similar.
Duey
Site Supporter 2021
Home club or Range: Offas Dyke, Pickering, North Cotes Butts and Grove small arms

#4 Post by Duey »

It's all well and good telling you to fit an alarm, but what is the response time, if any, to an alarm going off on a domestic property
Lever357
Home club or Range: Louisa Centre

#5 Post by Lever357 »

I applied for my FAC in November and put down lever action .22, semi auto .22, lever action .38/.357, bolt action 303, 7.62 and 7.92. The officer told me the 7.62 and 7.92 were too close together and would I choose one to drop! And they only like to grant five slots on initial application.
Remember, we're all here because we're not all there!
GeeRam
Home club or Range: PSC, Bisley

#6 Post by GeeRam »

Lever357 wrote:I applied for my FAC in November and put down lever action .22, semi auto .22, lever action .38/.357, bolt action 303, 7.62 and 7.92. The officer told me the 7.62 and 7.92 were too close together and would I choose one to drop! And they only like to grant five slots on initial application.
I get and understand asking to drop from 6 to 5 on 1st app........but I'm perplexed about his/her asking to drop either the 7.62 or 7.92 because they are 'too close together'.......I mean seriously kukkuk

I applied for and got 2 x .303 slots on 1st application, and you can't get much closer together than that!!
(I was only applying for 4 slots though)
safetyfirst
Past Supporter

#7 Post by safetyfirst »

WTF. A lever action rimfire is just as dangerous as any other gun, heavens, I wish they'd stop licensing firearms and start certifying people.
snayperskaya
Past Supporter
Home club or Range: West Bank of the Volga.....

#8 Post by snayperskaya »

GeeRam wrote:
Lever357 wrote:I applied for my FAC in November and put down lever action .22, semi auto .22, lever action .38/.357, bolt action 303, 7.62 and 7.92. The officer told me the 7.62 and 7.92 were too close together and would I choose one to drop! And they only like to grant five slots on initial application.
I get and understand asking to drop from 6 to 5 on 1st app........but I'm perplexed about his/her asking to drop either the 7.62 or 7.92 because they are 'too close together'.......I mean seriously kukkuk

I applied for and got 2 x .303 slots on 1st application, and you can't get much closer together than that!!
(I was only applying for 4 slots though)
Two 7.62x39 slots and a 7.62x54r slot on first application plus .308/7.62x51, .303 and .22lr!!!.......the .308 and .303 slots were one-for-one'd for more 7.62x39 and 54r slots later on.
"The only real power comes out of a long rifle." - Joseph Stalin

Give a man a gun and he can rob a bank.....give a man a bank and he can rob the world!.

More than a vested interest in 7.62x54r!
dromia
Site Admin
Home club or Range: The Highlands of Scotland. Cycling Proficiency 1964. Felton & District rifle club. Teesdale Pistol and Rifle club.

#9 Post by dromia »

It is a firearms certificate, it says so on the document.

Come on Bambi get some

Imperial Good Metric Bad
Analogue Good Digital Bad

Fecking stones

Real farmers don't need subsidies

Cow's farts matter!

For fine firearms and requisites visit

http://www.pukkabundhooks.com/
bradaz11
Sporadic Site Supporter
Home club or Range: The tunnel at Charmouth, BWSS

#10 Post by bradaz11 »

did you apply for the actions or just the calibre and you are listing what you got? I've only ever applied for a 'rifle' or a 'pistol' never defined what type or mechanism.

as to the OP, doesn't sound great, but then again, having a visit for a variation I think is a bit over the top anyway
When guns are outlawed, only Outlaws will have guns