FAC Questions

New to the sport? Or just not sussed something out yet? Please ask your questions in here, there are many experienced shooters on the forum and someone will for sure come along and answer your question. This is a section for new shooters so if anyone can think of something please submit it.

Moderator: dromia

jdwoodbury
Home club or Range: Stourport Pistol & Rifle Club

Re: FAC Questions

#161 Post by jdwoodbury »

7 months here under West Mercia Police (Herefordshire, Shropshire & Worcestershire)
Mattnall
Site Supporter Since 2016
Home club or Range: Harlow TAC, NRA, BSRC

#162 Post by Mattnall »

A guy at work put in for his licence in September 2015 to Essex and got the grant (FAC delivered) middle of July 2016.
Arming the Country, one gun at a time.

Good deals with Paul101, Charlotte the flyer, majordisorder, Charlie Muggins, among others. Thanks everybody.
aris
Home club or Range: Watford

#163 Post by aris »

Sent in my first FAC application (I've had SGC for a while) on the 15th of Sep, cheque cashed on the 27th, had interview today, license should drop through the post next week.

Got what I asked for - two rimfire, and a centrefire. Target and game shooting - closed ticket for now, but can open it up in a years time if I can get signed off by an experience shooter with an open ticket.

Hertfordshire are a very efficient and friendly team!
Alberto
Home club or Range: VPRC

#164 Post by Alberto »

You're just rubbing it in now. :(

It must be down to resources. Essex police have always been fine when I've had dealings with them, so I struggle to believe the Firearms team are the exception. Essex doesn't seem to have a significantly different gun ownership pattern to the surrounding counties either. Too few officers is the explanation I presume. I'm not sure I'm brave/foolish enough to complain and mark myself out as a 'trouble maker' though so waiting is probably the only option.
"I am not ashamed to confess that I am ignorant of what I do not know." - Marcus Tullius Cicero
aris
Home club or Range: Watford

#165 Post by aris »

I have a friend in Thames Valley (Buckinghamshire) who has been waiting on a variation for longer than it has taken me to get my whole FAC. I did ask the FEO why they were so efficient and and Thames Valley were not. I got a wry smile in response :-o

In all though the interview was a pleasant experience. Very friendly guy (he was the same chap who did my SGC interview), no question was too much trouble.

He did say they are looking to do the applications online in the future (nationwide, not just HERTS). How far in the future he could not say but it was something that was actively being worked on. This is one of the reasons they no longer need a signature on the referee forms - it is a one part of the slow move to online applications/variations.

Another interesting snippet of info: Where you live can make a pretty dramatic difference on the time for processing your FAC. He had several in my area and he could do them all on the same day. Result - for me. He did say there was one chap who they needed to interview who lived in an outlying area - and he was the ONLY one in that area - so to maximise efficiencies, he may have to wait until they have other work in that area before he gets his interview. Unfair I suppose, but it makes sense with regards to running an efficient service.
Alberto
Home club or Range: VPRC

#166 Post by Alberto »

That's interesting. Maybe I need to volunteer for the online process.
"I am not ashamed to confess that I am ignorant of what I do not know." - Marcus Tullius Cicero
Mattnall
Site Supporter Since 2016
Home club or Range: Harlow TAC, NRA, BSRC

#167 Post by Mattnall »

Recently Essex have had an overhaul of their processes due to some irregularities and are checking most/all existing fac and sgc holders. This has dramatically upped the workload and you can guess how many extra staff they've had drafted to help. Expect delays.
Arming the Country, one gun at a time.

Good deals with Paul101, Charlotte the flyer, majordisorder, Charlie Muggins, among others. Thanks everybody.
pbrazendale
Home club or Range: MRPC

#168 Post by pbrazendale »

Just a quick note I'm under GMP and I was told 16 weeks for new grants and they also said they would aim to do it sooner than that. I will post back and let you know how accurate this is.

Sent from my boing using "An application"
Ash

#169 Post by Ash »

I sent off my application beginning of Feb and had an FEO out last week (Hampshire). I have checked with the two referee's I put down and they have not had any calls. Do they always speak to them as part of the process? I will stop eagerly checking the post if I know they will get called first.
Mail2pete

#170 Post by Mail2pete »

Hi, I know of one person in Hampshire that got his first ticket without even getting a visit from the FEO.

Sent from my iPad using "An application"