NRA - any chance of a proper online range booking facility?

A section for general discussion covering all of our national shooting organisations.

Moderator: dromia

Forum rules
The National Body General Discussion section is exactly that, a section for all of us to discuss the National Bodies and what they are up to.

Please bear in mind that this is an open forum and your posts can be read by all members. If you are in a position that can be compromised by what you are saying on here because someone takes offense and tells your colleagues or your sponsor and that in turn means you are being punished for your posts on here, think before you post!
Dark Skies
Home club or Range: NRA

Re: NRA - any chance of a proper online range booking facili

#11 Post by Dark Skies »

RDC wrote:I know that sounds like I am being petty. However they wouldn't take my booking at the desk, they had to come round to the punter side and show me how to book online, which probably took more time than just doing it themselves. I then had to walk over to the desk for them to then say if it had been accepted or declined.
I had exactly the same experience last year. You feel foolish - like they're know how ridiculous they're being but ... 'policy' and they're going to do it anyhow. You also wonder whether they're just taking the pish because it's probably kind of a break from just sitting around in an office on a slow day.

It really wouldn't be a big deal to have a booking system that is reactive and updates in use. I expect there's an out of the box system for this very simple need.
"I don't like my job and I don't think I'm gonna go anymore."
Maggot
Home club or Range: HRA and LERA

#12 Post by Maggot »

Dark Skies wrote:
RDC wrote:I know that sounds like I am being petty. However they wouldn't take my booking at the desk, they had to come round to the punter side and show me how to book online, which probably took more time than just doing it themselves. I then had to walk over to the desk for them to then say if it had been accepted or declined.
I had exactly the same experience last year. You feel foolish - like they're know how ridiculous they're being but ... 'policy' and they're going to do it anyhow. You also wonder whether they're just taking the pish because it's probably kind of a break from just sitting around in an office on a slow day.

It really wouldn't be a big deal to have a booking system that is reactive and updates in use. I expect there's an out of the box system for this very simple need.
I have to agree with this. I have a lot of time for the NRA but you would expect the system to tell you what is available so that you could then book it with some expectation of getting a slot. I see the online system as a bolt on to the good old face to face and telephone. Yes, I see it is supposed to make their jobs easier, but this does not work when some poor b****** has booked a lane for load dev at 100, several bods drive from all over the south to then be told..."Oh sorry, you cant have 100 today". Day off wasted, fuel wasted etc etc. Could have been avoided over the phone (although it was a human interface issue so would probably have happened anyway). My problem is that I can only see their email reply out of hours, so I book one evening, get knocked back and see that the next evening, so I re-book....and before you know it booking tennis has burned up time and the available day has passed. IF they were more flexible then they would get better range usage and greater income...surely ;) Do though, if you can, phone and know who you are talking to. It can then be personal if it goes wrong and the right people get collared. They do try, I was helped out yesterday with a last minute freebee on Melville so it can be swings and roundabouts.
rox

#13 Post by rox »

Dark Skies wrote:It really wouldn't be a big deal to have a booking system that is reactive and updates in use. I expect there's an out of the box system for this very simple need.
An out-of-the-box system that handles dynamic optimisation and safety template deconfliction of complex multi-distance echelon shooting with independent fall-backs? Why would there even be such a thing (how many ranges support simultaneous multi-distance echelon shooting with fall-backs)?

Pete
Past Supporter
Home club or Range: NRA Bisley

#14 Post by Pete »

If everyone stuck to 600yds, there wouldn't be a problem :run: :run:

Pete
"Tantum religio potuit suadere malorum" Lucretius
You're offended? Please explain why your inability to control your emotions translates into me having to censor my opinions....
Dark Skies
Home club or Range: NRA

#15 Post by Dark Skies »

rox wrote:
Dark Skies wrote:It really wouldn't be a big deal to have a booking system that is reactive and updates in use. I expect there's an out of the box system for this very simple need.
An out-of-the-box system that handles dynamic optimisation and safety template deconfliction of complex multi-distance echelon shooting with independent fall-backs? Why would there even be such a thing (how many ranges support simultaneous multi-distance echelon shooting with fall-backs)?

It's a booking system - same as any system for automatically booking flights, MOTs, servicing your car, holiday packages, hotels etc. etc. and dealing with cancellations / additional places.
I know these packages are available - I've seen and worked on them as a software tester (I worked for Kerridge / ADP for eleven years testing far more complicated add-ons for the car industry). These things are a doddle for software companies. It's no big hassle to take a standard bolt on, tweak it with the required specifics, add to the system.
The whole point of the NRA going over to Azolve, we were told, was to make life easier for all involved. They boast "Intelligent Process Streamlining" on the portal - they should be tasked with it.
"I don't like my job and I don't think I'm gonna go anymore."