World War 1 - DigHill80

Somewhere to share your tales, anecdotes and memories from past days.

Moderator: dromia

Forum rules
Please remember to respect the copyright of the author. Please do not post content from this section elsewhere without the specific permission of the author.
WelshShooter
Site Supporter Since 2016

World War 1 - DigHill80

#1 Post by WelshShooter »

Mods, please let me know if this is not acceptable for this section.

I've been watching a lot of WW1 videos by "TheGreatWar" channel on YouTube. Today, they have come out with a new video whereby they mention that there is a campaign to continue excavating Hill 80 on the Messines ridge in Belgium.

It looks to be an interesting project, but what is sad is that there is going to be a housing development which is going to be built over it, keeping the buried secrets, buried. There is a Kickstarter campaign to fund a larger excavation team to preserve this important find. I hope that you will join me in helping these guys out with a little bit of spare cash to keep history alive!

I have worked with Cranfield University from a professional point of view, and it looks like they're helping out with exhuming the remains. They have done forensic work in the past so I'm really happy to see them helping out with this.

Kickstarter: http://www.dighill80.com
Mike A
Home club or Range: Grove

Re: World War 1 - DigHill80

#2 Post by Mike A »

Excellent channel / worthy cause :good:
Discontent is the first necessity of progress.
BooBoo
Home club or Range: Various

#3 Post by BooBoo »

Why on earth are they being allowed to build a housing estate on top of such an historic site...

You wouldn't be allowed to do that in a million years over here.
Hoppum
Home club or Range: North Cotes Butts

#4 Post by Hoppum »

I imagine that in a country the size of Belgium, space is a premium, at the end of the day you can't preserve everything and if you didn't build on any piece of land in Europe where *something* happened in history, you wouldn't have a whole lot of space left.

The same guys that made this video also just finished 'kickstarting' their World War 2 project where they're going to be documenting WWII in a similar to how they currently cover WWI. They're working with other channels like C&Rsenal, Forgotten Weapons and inRangeTV for some of the indepth videos about weapons and equipment.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/20 ... umentaries