Anderton shooting range

New to the sport? Or just not sussed something out yet? Please ask your questions in here, there are many experienced shooters on the forum and someone will for sure come along and answer your question. This is a section for new shooters so if anyone can think of something please submit it.

Moderator: dromia

timlad07
Home club or Range: Hydra Rifle Club (Club Secretary)

Re: Anderton shooting range

#11 Post by timlad07 »

krum2000 wrote:Alrighty then, found it. shakeshout Couldn't miss it for the noise of the short barrelled full bore rifle shaking the trees. haha

Spoke to a very nice man called Graham who says its only a very small club, 50 members at most and its not advertised at all anymore. You have to know someone already there to invite you. When my license comes through and I buy my equipment, give him a call or come back down and we can go from there.

Its only 4 hours, 12 till 4, on a Saturday and its 50 and 100 feet, but they cater to everything from rimfire to full bore to shotgun slugs so that's a bonus. Normally between 4 and 15 people per week looks like, friendly enough bunch. Definitely going to give him a call at a later date. :D
Im sorry i didnt get over to talk to you yesterday, you were in good hands talking to Graham, I think you were the chap in the Black T shirt.

Let me give you a bit more of an insight in to the Hydra Rifle Club.
It has been in the position it is now since the early 1970's, musch before my time as a shooter, and prior to that, the club occupied a 200 yard range very near by and Ex homegaurd range I might add.
When the land of the 200 yard range was required by ICI for development, they indeed relocated the range to where it is today, long long before the area was addopted in the 90's as a park, the range was constructed by ICI in the mid 1970's and that has been home to Hydra ever since.

ICI or Brummer Mond at the time in the mid 90's handed the area over to Cheshire County Council after they had finshed with using the area, on the condition that the Hydra Rifle club be allowed to remain in place, and our club has an excellent relationship with them, the park was built around us and thats about it really. We have an NDA full bore range (No Danger area) which for those that know this means all our fall of shot must be into the backstop, we have no danger area behind that point, all footpaths in the area DO NOT encrouach on us, the only pathway near runs behind the range and is deemed far enough away. We last year passed a Police inspection with flying colours after our application was passed to shoot Target shotgun.

We have two ranges as you can see from the posted photo earlier in the thread. 100 meters and 50 meters (metric)
The 100 meter range is full bore up to 10000 ft lbs (muzzle), the 50 meter range is gallery calibres.
We are a small but very friendly club, as Graham said, we shoot 12 until 4 every Saturday, so keep our membership to around at present 50
As of June 1st, our club will also be using the Altcar range complex, I am renewing the licence with them at the moment and will return to regular visits there after a 5 year break.

We are NRA affiliated and fully Home Office approved, I have been a member since 1987, on the committee since 2000, and Full Club Secretary since 2016.
If you call down again please do ask to speak to me and i will guide you any way I can.
krum2000

#12 Post by krum2000 »

Hi TimLad, welcome back. I saw your posts on the club from years ago but couldn't find you on the forum to message you about it.

Yeah that was me, black t shirt, bald head and big beard. :wave:

Graham sorted me out with everything I needed to know as well as his number if I wanted to ask anything else, top fella. His advice was to get my license sorted asap, buy a gun and then wait for him to die so a place would become available. lol

Seriously though, thank you for all the info, I did wonder how a range ended up in the middle of a nature reserve. I had heard rumors about it, but didn't think much of it until I got into the sport and then couldn't find anything at all. wtf

I will definitely be contacting you in the future to see if I can get in, if that's alright. It would be a lovely compliment to Warrington and would cover everything I'm interested in I reckon.
timlad07
Home club or Range: Hydra Rifle Club (Club Secretary)

#13 Post by timlad07 »

krum2000 wrote:Hi TimLad, welcome back. I saw your posts on the club from years ago but couldn't find you on the forum to message you about it.

Yeah that was me, black t shirt, bald head and big beard. :wave:

Graham sorted me out with everything I needed to know as well as his number if I wanted to ask anything else, top fella. His advice was to get my license sorted asap, buy a gun and then wait for him to die so a place would become available. lol

Seriously though, thank you for all the info, I did wonder how a range ended up in the middle of a nature reserve. I had heard rumors about it, but didn't think much of it until I got into the sport and then couldn't find anything at all. wtf

I will definitely be contacting you in the future to see if I can get in, if that's alright. It would be a lovely compliment to Warrington and would cover everything I'm interested in I reckon.
I’m at the Range most Saturdays, come and have a chat to me
krum2000

#14 Post by krum2000 »

Will do mate, thank you. Like i said, next is to get my license sorted, haven't even put it in yet. lol