Parker Hale Whitworth

Anything muzzle loading in here. Old and new, rifles, shotguns, pistols and even cannons!

Moderator: dromia

Woodworm
Home club or Range: South Hants Rifle & Pistol Club,

Parker Hale Whitworth

#1 Post by Woodworm »

Hi all,
Brought a Whitworth some time ago and have been thinking about blowing the cobwebs out of it. I've looked around the U.K sites for a parker Hale 457121PH mould to no avail, so sent off to Optics planet in the U.S only to have my money refunded three days later because they wont send to the U.K. The question is, does anyone know of a European shop/website that sells lyman moulds? I have tried Ebay and Google but can't find anything.
Any idea's gratefully excepted!
WW
legs748
Home club or Range: Mattersey R&PC

Re: Parker Hale Whitworth

#2 Post by legs748 »

Hannams reloading are the Lyman importers so maybe they would be worth having a word with, eBay can occasionally throw up some moulds too. I have that mould and use it in my PH volunteer.
It was working when i left it...........
dromia
Site Admin
Home club or Range: The Highlands of Scotland. Cycling Proficiency 1964. Felton & District rifle club. Teesdale Pistol and Rifle club.

#3 Post by dromia »

I get better performance from the Lyman 451114 in the Whitworth and the Volunteers, two and three bands, out to 600 yrds.

Come on Bambi get some

Imperial Good Metric Bad
Analogue Good Digital Bad

Fecking stones

Real farmers don't need subsidies

Cow's farts matter!

For fine firearms and requisites visit

http://www.pukkabundhooks.com/
kennyc
Home club or Range: hunters NRPC

#4 Post by kennyc »

dromia
Site Admin
Home club or Range: The Highlands of Scotland. Cycling Proficiency 1964. Felton & District rifle club. Teesdale Pistol and Rifle club.

#5 Post by dromia »

Which particular model of Mihecs moulds are you recommending for this application?

Come on Bambi get some

Imperial Good Metric Bad

Fecking stones

Cow's farts matter!

kennyc
Home club or Range: hunters NRPC

#6 Post by kennyc »

dromia wrote:Which particular model of Mihecs moulds are you recommending for this application?
I'm not recommending any of them, just offering up a European manufacturer of moulds, as I felt it might be interesting for the OP. if that is a problem then I will apologise and just go back to my hutch.
dromia
Site Admin

#7 Post by dromia »

Not a problem just Mihec really doesn't do the longer bullets very well, his pistol bullets are indeed excellent but he has problems cutting the longer moulds and there is nothing really in his catalogue that would suit the OP's rifle.

Some of the pistol bullets may do OK at out to 100 yards maximum, but they are light and short and you need heavier and longer bullets to bump up and fill the hexagonal rifling to be effective in this rifle.

He does make excellent moulds if you need pistol bullets, he uses the Cramer style plugs for hollow points and bases which I find a finicky way much preferring the Removeable Guide method for hollow point/base multiple cavity mould, each to his own though.

Come on Bambi get some

Imperial Good Metric Bad

Fecking stones

Cow's farts matter!

Woodworm
Home club or Range: South Hants Rifle & Pistol Club,

#8 Post by Woodworm »

Hi all,
Thanks for your reply's. I'll give Hannams a bell and keep my fingers crossed.
I want to stretch its legs and go out to 600 and once I get to know it possibly further. Initially I had a go with the hexagonal bullet mould, possibly the Dyson one, but to be fair they didn't come out very good. Having read some info on them it seems a cylindrical bullet can be more accurate the hex one.
Cheer,
BB
legs748
Home club or Range: Mattersey R&PC

#9 Post by legs748 »

Some pictures would be nice!

Is it true the hex bullets are quite finicky on sizing? Is paper patching a long bullet a possibility? I would like to own a PH whitworth one day so it does no harm to gather knowledge early!
It was working when i left it...........
dromia
Site Admin

#10 Post by dromia »

The problem with the Hex bullet is getting a decent mould, even Whitworths moulds were s*** and Dyson copied them and added a few failures of their own.

I have a Leo Krannen hex mould with grease grooves and it is excellent, I don't like sizing them and use alloy choice/temperature and mould temperature to fine tune as cast diameter. Paper patching does work well but you still need a good bullet to start with.

Really the hex bullet is a curiosity and are not necessary as a good cylindrical bullet shoots very well.

Properly swaged hex bullets are excellent but the set up costs even if you have a swaging press are really not worth it.

The main "trick" I have found is getting a perfect bore fitting jag with your patch as accuracy drops of significantly if your cleaning regime doesn't keep the corners fouling free 'tween shots.

Come on Bambi get some

Imperial Good Metric Bad

Fecking stones

Cow's farts matter!