GGG problem

Anything shooting related including law and procedure questions.

Moderator: dromia

Forum rules
Should your post be in Grumpy Old Men? This area is for general shooting related posts only please.
shugie
Past Supporter
Home club or Range: Sperry at Bisley

GGG problem

#1 Post by shugie »

I was enjoying myself at 600 yards on Century yesterday with some ammunition I'd made using vihtavuori, the results were more than acceptable, my best score ever and by some margin. But I'd not cooked enough of them , and reverted back to my usual GGG from the range office. I've had consistent results with GGG in my Swing, and was more than surprised to find it was all over the place, one round under the target, and no noticeable grouping. I can understand why it might land in a different place, but would at least have expected them all to land, more or less, in the same place.

I'm puzzled.
Careful now/that sort of thing
Mattnall
Site Supporter Since 2016
Home club or Range: Harlow TAC, NRA, BSRC

Re: GGG problem

#2 Post by Mattnall »

Changing ammo can have a dramatic affect on group size until the barrel gets mucky with the new fouling. I have found on changing ammo types I need to shoot 5-10 shots before they start grouping anywhere near I know they should.
Could this have been the issue?
Arming the Country, one gun at a time.

Good deals with Paul101, Charlotte the flyer, majordisorder, Charlie Muggins, among others. Thanks everybody.
hitchphil
Home club or Range: Bisley - Mostly

#3 Post by hitchphil »

.......which bullets in the home load? SMK 2215 or 2216 or X? & what NRA GGG? 147 MilSurp or NRA TR 155?

I have seen the MilSurp 147 GGG perform very poor groups vs GGG155 or RG 155
Quality control of Scottish Ethanol. & RDX/HMX

& my fav chemical is :-) 1,3,7-trimethylxanthine.......... used to kill frogs.... but widely consumed & in vast quantities by the French? Eh?
shugie
Past Supporter

#4 Post by shugie »

Home load SMK2156, GGG 155 match. My Swing has a non-standard Border barrel that only really likes 155.
Pete
Past Supporter
Home club or Range: NRA Bisley

#5 Post by Pete »

Non-standard barrel? What twist? My Swing has a 1:11 Bartlein and I get the best results with 2155's, or 155 Scenars.
2156's were never as good.

Pete
"Tantum religio potuit suadere malorum" Lucretius
You're offended? Please explain why your inability to control your emotions translates into me having to censor my opinions....
shugie
Past Supporter

#6 Post by shugie »

Pete wrote:Non-standard barrel? What twist? My Swing has a 1:11 Bartlein and I get the best results with 2155's, or 155 Scenars.
2156's were never as good.

Pete
I don't know what the twist is, the only markings on the barrel are GI.309 F.300 Z.3070
breacher
Home club or Range: EBSC

#7 Post by breacher »

Mattnall wrote:Changing ammo can have a dramatic affect on group size until the barrel gets mucky with the new fouling. I have found on changing ammo types I need to shoot 5-10 shots before they start grouping anywhere near I know they should.
This !!!

Very frustrating too.
http://www.phoenixtactical.co.uk

RFD 2043 Cambridgeshire
shugie
Past Supporter

#8 Post by shugie »

breacher wrote:
Mattnall wrote:Changing ammo can have a dramatic affect on group size until the barrel gets mucky with the new fouling. I have found on changing ammo types I need to shoot 5-10 shots before they start grouping anywhere near I know they should.
This !!!

Very frustrating too.
That's new to me. Could be the explanation, certainly better than anything else I can think of, thanks!
Mattnall
Site Supporter Since 2016
Home club or Range: Harlow TAC, NRA, BSRC

#9 Post by Mattnall »

shugie wrote:
breacher wrote:
This !!!

Very frustrating too.
That's new to me. Could be the explanation, certainly better than anything else I can think of, thanks!
I've found it's particularly bad with 22LR ammo as well. I guess smaller, slower bullets are affected more by the changes.
Arming the Country, one gun at a time.

Good deals with Paul101, Charlotte the flyer, majordisorder, Charlie Muggins, among others. Thanks everybody.