The end of English shooting YouTube channel

Anything shooting related including law and procedure questions.

Moderator: dromia

Forum rules
Should your post be in Grumpy Old Men? This area is for general shooting related posts only please.
breacher
Home club or Range: EBSC

Re: The end of English shooting YouTube channel

#81 Post by breacher »

joe wrote:
I have no idea who ‘joe 118’ is and it’s not me either !
Are you "Zak" who shoots CSR with a LMT ?
http://www.phoenixtactical.co.uk

RFD 2043 Cambridgeshire
Blackstuff
Site Supporter Since 2015

#82 Post by Blackstuff »

You’re away from the forum for 2.5 days....
Attachments
6745EED5-FFCB-43F6-8688-9C0F74A71B42.jpeg
DVC
Dark Skies
Home club or Range: NRA

#83 Post by Dark Skies »

Sim G wrote: ...Scaremongering. You honestly think he could present a case under s1 of the 2013 Act? It wouldn’t take much to offer the statutory defences under s2, 3 or 4!. ...
I'm just a very prudent fellow. Whether he could reasonably expect a favourable outcome isn't the whole point - although I accept what you're saying since the Defamation Act 2013 came in force (some time around 2014) giving more viable defences.

It seems the chap in question has quite a following and in these days of Internet whip rounds for funding it's not inconceivable that it might appear worth a punt if financially assisted.
Win or lose it's always an expensive bother to become embroiled in such cases.
I like this forum and was only considering the possible knock-on consequences.
I notified Dromia of my concerns and as the post referred to remains it's clearly been considered and decided acceptable to be left up.
I felt it was worth mentioning and have nothing to add.
"I don't like my job and I don't think I'm gonna go anymore."
Thorney
Home club or Range: Silverstone Shooting Centre

#84 Post by Thorney »

Having been a libel lawyer in real life for a while I must say there is a lot more too this than that simple video. We will push ahead with our series of programs with the view of trying to promote our sport.
TattooedGun
Past Supporter
Home club or Range: Dudley Rifle Club, WNSC, UKPSA, Bromsgrove

#85 Post by TattooedGun »

Thorney wrote:Having been a libel lawyer in real life for a while I must say there is a lot more too this than that simple video. We will push ahead with our series of programs with the view of trying to promote our sport.
This is good news and very sensible.

It would be nice if Callum or another influencial part of UK shooting were to clarify the facts rather than further propelling the false impression we are under reign by the thought police...
JS569
Home club or Range: catterick

#86 Post by JS569 »

I doubt he provide the real reason, if he'd wanted to he would have done it in his final video. I suspect he's probably embarrassed about whatever the reason was/ is so has chosen not air it fully in public - fair enough and why should we know? We only hear about other 'public figures' cock-ups when they do it in full view of the media or if something gets leaked - even then do we get the full story, probably not. If it was the reason cited a few posts ago is correct, why would you cement some bad behaviour for all to see forever on the web? Not only is it an admission but it also may affect your job prospects etc never mind owning firearms.

We know the channel hasn't been removed from YT because of their community guidelines, what I saw of his content didn't appear to be controversial but we do know that he's done something to worry the police enough that his licenses are gone, between us we can probably think 5 things in a matter of seconds that would cause the police to take an interest in your suitability to hold a license, so take your choice.

Ultimately, he's a member of the public who decided to make some videos and somewhere along the line he's made a mistake. To put him in perspective his top video received 323k views over the course of the year. Compared to many other gun channels he's drop in the ocean. Not meaning to take anything away from him as I think its good a young person from this country tried to show shooting in a different light. Whilst he's probably not always got things quite right (Eg. facts etc) he was having a go and as we know in shooting sports there's more than one way to skin a cat.
David TS
Past Supporter
Home club or Range: Grove Small Arms, LERA, SEESA

#87 Post by David TS »

JS569 wrote:I doubt he provide the real reason, if he'd wanted to he would have done it in his final video. I suspect he's probably embarrassed about whatever the reason was/ is so has chosen not air it fully in public - fair enough and why should we know? We only hear about other 'public figures' cock-ups when they do it in full view of the media or if something gets leaked - even then do we get the full story, probably not. If it was the reason cited a few posts ago is correct, why would you cement some bad behaviour for all to see forever on the web? Not only is it an admission but it also may affect your job prospects etc never mind owning firearms.

We know the channel hasn't been removed from YT because of their community guidelines, what I saw of his content didn't appear to be controversial but we do know that he's done something to worry the police enough that his licenses are gone, between us we can probably think 5 things in a matter of seconds that would cause the police to take an interest in your suitability to hold a license, so take your choice.

Ultimately, he's a member of the public who decided to make some videos and somewhere along the line he's made a mistake. To put him in perspective his top video received 323k views over the course of the year. Compared to many other gun channels he's drop in the ocean. Not meaning to take anything away from him as I think its good a young person from this country tried to show shooting in a different light. Whilst he's probably not always got things quite right (Eg. facts etc) he was having a go and as we know in shooting sports there's more than one way to skin a cat.

I am not convinced he was able to see embarrassment, he didn't seem bothered when I pointed out the mistakes in his interpretation of firearms laws on another forum.

The point I was trying to make to him at the time is that today's misinformation is tomorrow's internet 'facts', but I think he was too busy with self promotion to listen!

Ultimately he reaped what he sowed.
Blackstuff
Site Supporter Since 2015

#88 Post by Blackstuff »

JS569 wrote:I doubt he provide the real reason, if he'd wanted to he would have done it in his final video. I suspect he's probably embarrassed about whatever the reason was/ is so has chosen not air it fully in public - fair enough and why should we know? We only hear about other 'public figures' cock-ups when they do it in full view of the media or if something gets leaked - even then do we get the full story, probably not. If it was the reason cited a few posts ago is correct, why would you cement some bad behaviour for all to see forever on the web? Not only is it an admission but it also may affect your job prospects etc never mind owning firearms.

I have to agree with the majority of that other than the 'why should we know' in some part. He shouldn't be saying that the only/main reason his certs were pulled and has stopped making videos is BECAUSE of his videos. I asked him this direct on Facebook and he said that was correct.
DVC
TattooedGun
Past Supporter
Home club or Range: Dudley Rifle Club, WNSC, UKPSA, Bromsgrove

#89 Post by TattooedGun »

Blackstuff wrote:

I have to agree with the majority of that other than the 'why should we know' in some part. He shouldn't be saying that the only/main reason his certs were pulled and has stopped making videos is BECAUSE of his videos. I asked him this direct on Facebook and he said that was correct.
Therein lies the rub. His certificates were reportedly revoked for illegal firearm activity, followed by allegations of domestic abuse.

If we're being honest, how likely would it be that someone would get their firearms back after 2 years following these offences alone? Probably not very.

The fact that he's made himself an internet celebrity with regards to firearms only opens himself to more scrutiny, where the police can examine every word and, if they are so inclined, use something he has openly said against him as a response to his application.

I think the thing that really annoys me is the way that he is so adament that the reason he is not allowed an FAC is his channel, when really, it's a lot less likely to be that than the reasons he wishes to keep private.

If I were the police, following that video, I would definitely not be inclined to accept the application. He is being disingenuous, and also allowing the rest of the world to run with the idea that we're living under the "thought police".

The whole thing just doesn't sit right.
BamBam

#90 Post by BamBam »

It's not his channel that caused the issues. I've known for around a year that he lost his certs and warned a few people to keep a wide berth of the lad until this whole story came out in the wash, as it was sure to do.
I'll also be staying far away from any company or business that he has promoted in the time that he continued to operate without the legal wherewithal to be handling firearms.