Applying for a variation with existing unfilled slots

New to the sport? Or just not sussed something out yet? Please ask your questions in here, there are many experienced shooters on the forum and someone will for sure come along and answer your question. This is a section for new shooters so if anyone can think of something please submit it.

Moderator: dromia

Hoppum
Home club or Range: North Cotes Butts

Re: Applying for a variation with existing unfilled slots

#21 Post by Hoppum »

Spoke to my FEO on Wednesday, all approved with no knock backs on rifles or ammunition. cheers

Was told however that if any slots are still empty come renewal time then I'll lose them. Is that a thing?
Furiouspilgrim
Site Supporter 2019
Home club or Range: 49th

#22 Post by Furiouspilgrim »

Hoppum wrote: Was told however that if any slots are still empty come renewal time then I'll lose them. Is that a thing?
In a word, yes. Unless you’ve got a good excuse... Gun not available yet, deposit on one, no good examples around... etc
safetyfirst
Past Supporter

#23 Post by safetyfirst »

Not the case with Derbyshire. I’ve had a .308 slot through a renewal and 5/6 variations.

Random stuff.
Hoppum

#24 Post by Hoppum »

New certificate dropped through my letterbox last week, so took approx 3 months start to finish.

One final query, the cover letter that came with new certificate states:
'You are reminded the disposal of a firearm does not authorise a replacement to be obtained unless your certificate has been varied for that purpose.'

Now does that mean, for example, that if I were to buy a 7.92 Mauser and then 6 months later find a better one I'd rather own, I can't just trade in my current one at the RFD and buy their one? Or do I have to sell my current one to the RFD/someone else, notify the police and then put in a variation saying I want another one? Or is it stating the obvious of just because you've sold your 7.92 you can't go out and buy a .308?

thankssign
dromia
Site Admin
Home club or Range: The Highlands of Scotland. Cycling Proficiency 1964. Felton & District rifle club. Teesdale Pistol and Rifle club.

#25 Post by dromia »

Hoppum wrote:New certificate dropped through my letterbox last week, so took approx 3 months start to finish.

One final query, the cover letter that came with new certificate states:
'You are reminded the disposal of a firearm does not authorise a replacement to be obtained unless your certificate has been varied for that purpose.'

Or do I have to sell my current one to the RFD/someone else, notify the police and then put in a variation saying I want another one?

thankssign
This is the requirement.

Authority to possess when filled means that it is specific to that rifle. When you sell/transfer that firearm that authority to posses no longer exists and you must submit for a variation to keep that authority on your FAC. It is normally referred to as a one for one variation and does not cost as you are not actually increasing the total number of firearms that you are authorised to possess.

Come on Bambi get some

Imperial Good Metric Bad
Analogue Good Digital Bad

Fecking stones

Real farmers don't need subsidies

Cow's farts matter!

For fine firearms and requisites visit

http://www.pukkabundhooks.com/
Hoppum

#26 Post by Hoppum »

Ah gotcha! Thanks very much!
Geek
Site Supporter Since 2020
Home club or Range: Diggle Range and Rossendale Fusiliers

#27 Post by Geek »

Kungfugerbil wrote:Remember that a moderator is a slot too - I’ve one-for-one’d a moderator slot for a rifle a couple of times.

That being the case, I would expect to be asked why you are asking for more when you have effectively 5 empty slots... doesn’t make it right of course, but that’s FEO logic. For ease (and being free!) I would swap an unused moderator slot for a new rifle to be honest.
I agree with this recommendation, which is the route I took initially when I wanted a variation (i.e. swopped a .22LR moderator for a rifle). Once you have filled the slots you can add another slot if you require anything else.
Regards,

Geek

AI AT (.308/6.5CM), Ruger PR (6.5CM), American Rimfire (.22LR), Remington 700 (.223), Marlin underlever .38/.357/.44, Savage 6BR, RimfireMagic .22LR, Fabarm Lion (s1), Fabarm Axis Baikal S/S
Del
Home club or Range: not got on yet

#28 Post by Del »

i have got a variation granted a couple of weeks ago and i had empty slots to fill not a problem but i did put a note in saying i would like empty slots left on to be used in future also my FEOdid say when i got my little chat that if the empty slots were not filled by the time my renewal came up they would take them off

cheers del
Ovenpaa
Site Supporter Since 2015

#29 Post by Ovenpaa »

Del wrote:i have got a variation granted a couple of weeks ago and i had empty slots to fill not a problem but i did put a note in saying i would like empty slots left on to be used in future also my FEOdid say when i got my little chat that if the empty slots were not filled by the time my renewal came up they would take them off

cheers del
My FEO said exactly the same (Lincolnshire) He said he would much prefer me to have the firearms in the cabinet than unfilled slots on my FAC.
/d

Du lytter aldrig til de ord jeg siger. Du ser mig kun for det tøj jeg har paa ...

Shed Journal
stuarta
Home club or Range: Bicester Town pistol and rifle club

#30 Post by stuarta »

Thames Valley Police do not have a consistent policy, when I had two empty slots and paid for an extra slot for a black powder pistol my FAC came back with the empty slots removed, when I complained they said they were "tidying up my licence and their paperwork". I should have made an issue of it and asked for the slots to be reinstated or a refund of the fee but did not. TVP firearms dept. is so slow that just having my FAC back from them felt like a victory over bureaucracy.