What barrel length for a .357/.38 gallery rifle

Anything Fullbore rifle related, Hunting, Target, Match.

Moderator: dromia

dromia
Site Admin
Home club or Range: The Highlands of Scotland. Cycling Proficiency 1964. Felton & District rifle club. Teesdale Pistol and Rifle club.

Re: What barrel length for a .357/.38 gallery rifle

#11 Post by dromia »

I agree.

Nothing wrong with the Rossi.

Like all guns they can be abused especially if fed a hefty diet of condom bulleted magnum rounds over the years, but if you are buying new then that should not be an issue. In the past the only drawback was a lack of spares, don't know if it is still like that but if it is then that is something to think about.

Me I like the Uberti Winchester copies and have three an 1860 in 44-40, a 1866 in 32-20 and an 1873 carbine in 38-40. All excellent firearms and the little '73 carbine has turned out to be a favourite, I only bought it because of the calibre preferring the longer barrels but this little thing has grown on me and I wouldn't feel under or out gunned competing with it.

The only reason I don't have a Rossi is that I prefer the older Winchester actions which are more than adequate for the calibres I shoot, if Rossi floats your boat then get one and shoot the sh!te out of it.

Come on Bambi get some

Imperial Good Metric Bad
Analogue Good Digital Bad

Fecking stones

Real farmers don't need subsidies

Cow's farts matter!

For fine firearms and requisites visit

http://www.pukkabundhooks.com/
dodgyrog
Site Supporter Since 2015
Home club or Range: Three Counties Sporting Club & Gardners Guns

#12 Post by dodgyrog »

Once bitten twice shy - I wouldn't have another Rossi thanks
Purveyor of fine cast boolits.
All round good guy and VERY grumpy old man.
hoppo
Home club or Range: Aldershot and Bisley

#13 Post by hoppo »

I have both a Rossi (45colt) and Marlin in 38/357. The Marlin is my main gallery rifle.
The Rossi is not as well suited for scope fitment due to top eject. I've fitted a Skinner peep sight and lighted the action with a Palo Verde spring kit.
Still no where near as smooth as my Marlin but still bags of fun.
Regarding barrel length, most comps will be loading with 6, so my 18" Marlin is fine, with something like Phoenix A where you load ten, you have the option of loading 38's or just getting that extra 357 round in during the away times, which is what I do. Or go for a slightly longer barrel.
As stated already, try and shoot others and see what suits you,
Ovenpaa

#14 Post by Ovenpaa »

I would go for a Marlin, in fact I would go for a new build as they are very good and there is reasonable spares support as well. As mentioned, the Winchesters tend to snap the lifters as they are made from a sintered steel. I did make a load of replacements from a good quality tool steel a while ago however they are all long since gone and it would take a lot of convincing to get me make some more.

Marlin is the way to go, oh and base your barrel length on magazine capacity as many comps require 10 shots and a Marlin magazine only holds 9 so if you are not allowed to start with one in the chamber and the safety on you have lost before your first shot.
/d

Du lytter aldrig til de ord jeg siger. Du ser mig kun for det tøj jeg har paa ...

Shed Journal
Plumose
Past Supporter
Home club or Range: D&DR&RC

#15 Post by Plumose »

My new .44 Marlin holds 10 magnums in the magazine, it has had a couple of hundred rounds through it and only had one issue (and that was with someone else shooting it so I think they might have done something strange).

It isn't quite as smooth or light in the action as the new Henry someone else has just gotten, but it is still very nice.
Deddington and District Rifle and Revolver Club (D&DR&RC) http://www.ddrrc.net
GeeRam
Home club or Range: PSC, Bisley

#16 Post by GeeRam »

Sim G wrote: Some may look down their nose at Rossi, but having been a shooter and collector of lever guns for several decades now, I honestly believe you won’t be let down by one. Their options are comprehensive so you’ll find one you like. My choice if looking for a Rossi would be a 20” short rifle, octagonal, stainless, in .357.
That's exactly the spec of Rossi my mate's missus has, and it's lovely to shoot, even more so since it came back from A&A and had one of their action jobs done on it :good:

Her hubby has a Henry in 357, which is very accurate and slick, but I personally don't like the tube loading, so a Henry wouldn't be my choice.
Another member has a Henry, in blued finish, and I have my 1873 Uberti Competition in .45LC which I just adore shooting, again even more so since being fettled by A&A.
A member who is about put in for his ticket, has had an extensive go at all of the guys owned by members to see what floats his boat, and a Uberti is his current choice...........so far, but he hasn't discounted a Rossi either.

Every other club member has a Marlin, as well as the club gun being a Marlin, and frankly I don't know why people like them (other being able to fit a scope) as I've shot all of the ones in the club, and only one of them is OK-ish, and that's the one the guy sent it to A&A for repair/fettling....after a couple of local 'smiths both failed to fix the issues he was having with it.
Daryll
Past Supporter
Home club or Range: Isle Target Sports Club

#17 Post by Daryll »

You can remove the marlin mag spring and take a few coils off and stretch it so you can get 10 rnds in... just do it in small steps!!

I did this to mine when i first bought it in the late 90's (with pistol compo money!) and i've never had a problem over many years of GR use.
Dark Skies
Home club or Range: NRA

#18 Post by Dark Skies »

I looked at a brand new Rossi (20 inch barrel 38.357 ) recently but was put off by the weight, or, rather, the lack of it. Otherwise it seemed like a pretty decent rifle for the money (about 550 quid). In the end I plumped for a barely used Henry some fifty quid cheaper - because it was prettier and heavier - so better recoil dampening. If you keep your eye out your budget can get some pretty decent second hand gun.
"I don't like my job and I don't think I'm gonna go anymore."
Airbrush
Home club or Range: Nra

#19 Post by Airbrush »

Ovenpaa wrote:I would go for a Marlin, in fact I would go for a new build as they are very good and there is reasonable spares support as well. As mentioned, the Winchesters tend to snap the lifters as they are made from a sintered steel. I did make a load of replacements from a good quality tool steel a while ago however they are all long since gone and it would take a lot of convincing to get me make some more.

Marlin is the way to go, oh and base your barrel length on magazine capacity as many comps require 10 shots and a Marlin magazine only holds 9 so if you are not allowed to start with one in the chamber and the safety on you have lost before your first shot.
Is that because you’re shooting .357, .38sp will take 10.
Ovenpaa

#20 Post by Ovenpaa »

Airbrush wrote: Is that because you’re shooting .357, .38sp will take 10.
Yes, that is for .357
/d

Du lytter aldrig til de ord jeg siger. Du ser mig kun for det tøj jeg har paa ...

Shed Journal