GP FAC flag on file

Anything shooting related including law and procedure questions.

Moderator: dromia

Forum rules
Should your post be in Grumpy Old Men? This area is for general shooting related posts only please.
knewmans

GP FAC flag on file

#1 Post by knewmans »

GPs are now required to have a flag on their files to show you have an FAC.

I've just spent 2 days in hospital having been referred by my GP.

As usual the referral letter has a list of past conditions. 2nd on the list for everyone at the hospital with access to the referral letter is, words to the effect of, 'Patient has a firearms certificate'.

So much for security.
Ken
GeeRam
Home club or Range: PSC, Bisley

Re: GP FAC flag on file

#2 Post by GeeRam »

knewmans wrote:As usual the referral letter has a list of past conditions. 2nd on the list for everyone at the hospital with access to the referral letter is, words to the effect of, 'Patient has a firearms certificate'.

So much for security.
Indeed.

Blatant Govt hypocrisy in action.

HO/Plod bang on about security and don't use social media, yet HO are happy for the NHS to brandish the information around without thought or care, in probably the most insecure organisation in the UK.

This is what happens when you let the lunatics run the asylum.
phaedra1106
Past Supporter

#3 Post by phaedra1106 »

Cheer up, mine is the first item on my list of problems!! :)
There's room for all Gods creatures, next to the mash and gravy :)
daman
Site Supporter 2021
Home club or Range: HRPC, NRA, BASC, BDS, Larbert, UKPSA

#4 Post by daman »

I noticed that too... "patient has a firearms certificate" appears under "Current Problems".

Asked the quack why it was considered a problem and was told 'not to worry, that's just how the system was set up'. It didn't really reassure me.
ordnance

#5 Post by ordnance »

The hole doctor thing has being a bit of a disaster from what i can see, thankfully not a requirement in this part of the UK.
Dahonis

#6 Post by Dahonis »

The first thing my doctor always asks me is have I been shooting lately and how is my shoulder holding together!
Pete
Past Supporter
Home club or Range: NRA Bisley

#7 Post by Pete »

Why should that be on the referral letter? Sounds as if the referring GP has screwed up...............

Pete
"Tantum religio potuit suadere malorum" Lucretius
You're offended? Please explain why your inability to control your emotions translates into me having to censor my opinions....
knewmans

#8 Post by knewmans »

Referral will automatically include a summary of your history. Without changing their system to put the FAC flag somewhere special they probably just add it in as a 'something that happened'. Then its clearly visible if you consult them about how much you'd like to go on a homicidal rampage without them having to remember there's something they're meant to do if you have an FAC.
Ken
Chuck

#9 Post by Chuck »

Errr, do they also have a note saying "Patient has a criminal record", "patient is a rapist /paedophile" or "patient is a thief"! teanews

Nope didn't think so. Blatant discrimination against law abiding people...nothing new.
Political Correctness is the language of lies, written by the corrupt , spoken by the inept!
Racalman
Home club or Range: LPSC and NRA

#10 Post by Racalman »

My FAC was renewed last year and there was no mention of contacting my GP. There is certainly nothing on my medical history (which I can see through the Patient Access web site). It does show this from a few years ago: "Refused consent for upload to national shar electronic rec" so when the dreaded flag does appear perhaps that will help to prevent it spreading around the NHS?

I can't help thinking that one of the biggest causes of depression among the shooting community must be the sheer sense of desperation at being singled out, marginalised, criticised, victimised, blamed etc for all the ills of society by people who don't have a clue what they are talking about.

Next Monday's Panorama (Legal Weapon) may add to the paranoia:

"Panorama investigates how antique guns are being brought into the UK perfectly legally and ending up in the hands of criminals. Panorama buys two handguns, one in America, carrying it through customs, and the other from an antique guns fair in Birmingham. Under current legislation it is legal to buy and sell guns provided commercially manufactured ammunition is no longer available. But criminals are home making ammunition for these antique weapons and then using them to kill. Gloucester gun dealer Paul Edmunds flooded the streets of Birmingham and London with antique guns as well as modern guns passed off as antiques. These weapons have been used in multiple murders. Now West Midlands Police and the National Ballistics Intelligence Service are calling for a change in the law to close this loophole."