Panorama 20th August

Anything shooting related including law and procedure questions.

Moderator: dromia

Forum rules
Should your post be in Grumpy Old Men? This area is for general shooting related posts only please.
stuarta
Home club or Range: Bicester Town pistol and rifle club

Panorama 20th August

#1 Post by stuarta »

The subject under investigation is legally held antique guns are ending up in the hands of criminals and guns crossing our borders.
Sim G

Re: Panorama 20th August

#2 Post by Sim G »

There will be some fact, a lot of embellishment and a sh1t load of platitudes!

I give it a miss.... the wife thinks I shout at the TV and other media outlets far too much as it is.
In 1978 I was told by my grand dad that the secret to rifle accuracy is, a quality bullet, fired down a quality barrel..... How has that changed?

Guns dont kill people. Dads with pretty Daughters do...!
JammyGuns

#3 Post by JammyGuns »

Thanks. I'll be watching, though as above I suspect I'll end up ranting at the TV in sheer frustration...
Fedaykin
Home club or Range: Cawdor

#4 Post by Fedaykin »

No doubt a NABIS representative will be making an appearance as this is one of their major pet peeves!
I am Arthur Frayn, and I am Zardoz.
I have lived 300 years...

I am immortal.
I present now my story,
full of mystery and intrigue,
rich in irony, and most satirical.
spikedueller
Home club or Range: Minsterly

#5 Post by spikedueller »

Sadly NABIS seem to have become a political wing of late rather than a science based organisation but that's for another thread.
Theyhave made great publicity over the St Etienne revolvers. However as can be seen from a quick glance at the revolver in this story the use of the wrong ammunition can be just as dangerous to the end user:
https://www.dailystar.co.uk/news/latest ... nglo-Smith

Not so much a misfire as a catastrophic failure, notice the missing top strap and the blown out chamber at the bottom.

As ever the criminal misuse of these is already catered for under existing law as the possession and or manufacture of ammunition takes it from the S58 to S5 category.

Unfortunately the activities of the now jailed RFD who made large quantities of ammunition for such obsolete firearms has raised the profile of such firearms and the "ease" of which they can be obtained.

Other articles quote the price tag for an illegal St Etienne to be in the £0000's so you'd have to wonder who is buying these, at that level it doesn't seem likely to be low level elements. Perhaps the supply of modern types is now very limited and this is all that is available but I'm not that much of an optimist.
bradaz11
Home club or Range: The tunnel at Charmouth, BWSS

#6 Post by bradaz11 »

is that why they jumped up from £500 to over £1k? I almost bought one last year, and now can't find one at an affordable price for a desk toy
When guns are outlawed, only Outlaws will have guns
Deadeye18

#7 Post by Deadeye18 »

It'll be a huge work of fiction no doubt but I'll watch it.
mr smith
Home club or Range: Dundee Rifle and Pistol Club

#8 Post by mr smith »

Fedaykin wrote:No doubt a NABIS representative will be making an appearance as this is one of their major pet peeves!
When they and other police type of organization's were up in front of the committee for the current .50 cal/rapid firing act they were more interested in pushing this and the 'easy' availability of reloading components than dealing with what's on the table now.Maybe they think it's a done deal and want to put the next stage in to the minds of MP's.

#9 Post by 1066 »

mr smith wrote:
Fedaykin wrote:No doubt a NABIS representative will be making an appearance as this is one of their major pet peeves!
When they and other police type of organization's were up in front of the committee for the current .50 cal/rapid firing act they were more interested in pushing this and the 'easy' availability of reloading components than dealing with what's on the table now.Maybe they think it's a done deal and want to put the next stage in to the minds of MP's.
Was it the NABIS spokesman who repeated, at least three times that all components for reloading ammunition could be freely bought without any checks?
TARGETMASTER
an altogether better trickler
www.targetmasteruk.com
Fedaykin
Home club or Range: Cawdor

#10 Post by Fedaykin »

NABIS have form unfortunately, they like to portray themselves as:

1) The experts when it come to guns
2) Politically neutral and even handed

The reality is they have often made factual mistakes when giving evidence and they very much have an agenda when it come to firearms licensing!

Another thing to note about NABIS when being interviewed or giving evidence is they often like to spin a particular preferred story by omitting key technical points. A fine example of this is the case of the "Manchester 3D printed gun factory" that was all over the press a few year back, they were really keen to talk to the press about that specially the Sniper rifle (actually a standard HFT Air Rifle with cope that the shop owner used at his local Air Rifle club) and the dangerous 3D printed trigger and magazine (actually component parts for the 3D printer and even if they were gun parts neither are controlled items meaning anybody can possess them).

Funnily they have never seen fit to correct those mistakes with the press. They also alluded to the idea when giving evidence to a Parliamentary committee that guns operate like Classic car tax and after an arbitrary date guns like the Browning High Power become available to be held as a historic Section 58!
I am Arthur Frayn, and I am Zardoz.
I have lived 300 years...

I am immortal.
I present now my story,
full of mystery and intrigue,
rich in irony, and most satirical.