The ITAR Minefield

Anything shooting related including law and procedure questions.

Moderator: dromia

Forum rules
Should your post be in Grumpy Old Men? This area is for general shooting related posts only please.
James84

The ITAR Minefield

#1 Post by James84 »

I'm looking for some advice on ITAR. I have experience with 'playing the game' at work but not as an individual.

The story is that I am flying to the US in a few weeks and I'm looking to fly back with a scope mount, magazine, brake and stripper clips for my K31 (along with shoot'n'see targets, lube and other ancillaries).

Now I know that 'firearm parts' are ITAR and optics are a no no and I've managed to find someone that said the scope mount and stripper clips are not controlled, but what about the magazine and the brake? Neither are critical to the function of a rifle. Now in the past, I have travelled with people who have flown back with AI mags in their hold luggage and they got through fine. One chap had Remington 700 magazines and a Hogue stock for a Ruger 10/22 in his suitcase. It was searched and passed through the US side with the padlock broken in half and then taped to a 'we went through your stuff' card inside but nothing was taken.

I want to know if anyone here has any knowledge or understanding on these parts? Google is awash with 'yes' and 'no' answers and I've read through a controlled items list and didn't see magazines but then there seems to be other lists that mention them.

Ta,

James
BamBam

Re: The ITAR Minefield

#2 Post by BamBam »

I just put 2 weeks worth of dirty socks and underpants in the top layer of my suitcase, the most they seem to have down is open, drop the letter in and then close it again.
TSA locks mean they won't cut your locks off.
Daryll
Past Supporter
Home club or Range: Isle Target Sports Club

#3 Post by Daryll »

Just to add some (more) confusion..

I understood that some scopes were ok.... Anything "military" ( ACOG, Aimpoint, EOTech etc) was a no, but then "hunting" scopes are fine.

Mags should be fine, i've brought a few of those home over the years

Don't muzzle brakes count as proofed parts..?? I know many US sites list brakes with a "not for sale to the Uk" underneath.

I'm going out next week, but "not planning" on buying gun parts... at the moment... :D
phaedra1106
Past Supporter

#4 Post by phaedra1106 »

Scopes with electronic image "enhancement" or those on the list of military designated scopes are prohibited without an export licence.

Ordinary sporting or hunting scopes are not restricted.

The problems however are two-fold,

1: There isn't a list of scopes designated as "military" that anyone (as far as I know) has managed to find.

2: If you're ordering online from places like Optic Warehouse for delivery to a US shipping address but paying with a UK credit/debit card they will most likely email you and request you complete an EAR compliance form before they will ship it.

Buying from other sites (for me at least) like MidwayUSA or Brownells/Sinclairs hasn't had that added step.

Here's the reply I got from Optics Planet after ordering via Amazon.com with shipping to a Florida address, it wasn't a problem just an extra step to go through.

"We have received the answers to the questions asked in our previous email. Before we can process your order, we will need a signed and completed EAR Compliance Certification. You and the end-user must complete, sign and return the Export Administration Regulations (EAR) Compliance Certification located at:

http://images1.opticsplanet.com/pdf/opp ... m-v1.7.pdf

Please submit this documentation to the fax number or email listed below.

By signing the Compliance Certification, you confirm the following:

(1) You have read and understand the terms as listed on the Export Administration Regulations (EAR) Compliance Certification

(2) You understand your responsibilities as they relate to your purchase.

Please note your order will remain on HOLD until we receive the signed and completed Compliance Certification.

Additionally, we will not sell any items regulated by the EAR to domestic customers who intend to illegally export these items.

Once we have received the EAR Compliance Certification, your order will be sent to our Order Processing Team. You may receive further correspondence from our processing team regarding your payment method or shipping information.

Thanks again for your order and cooperation with our review process."
There's room for all Gods creatures, next to the mash and gravy :)
Dark Skies
Home club or Range: NRA

#5 Post by Dark Skies »

I've brought a few scopes back for friends and haven't a clue whether they were considered 'military' or not but then I very much doubt if the TSA guys that leave their little courtesy notes in my luggage would either. My money is they're only really scanning for firearms, actions, and ammunition - they just don't have the time or the training to nitpick.
"I don't like my job and I don't think I'm gonna go anymore."
James84

#6 Post by James84 »

Thanks for the replies. I'll give it a go. I suppose my only concern is the brake but if it gets taken, it gets taken. It's only $60 (compared to £103 in the UK) so I'll give it a go.

Contemplating getting a Charge Master Lite this time as well. That is if I can fit it in the suitcase after it's filled with 2 gallons of Tail and Mane shampoo that the Mrs wants me to bring back...
phaedra1106
Past Supporter

#7 Post by phaedra1106 »

Don't put a scope in your hold luggage (advise from TSA there!) the Chargemaster Lite is in a huge box, I only managed to fit 2 and an RCBS Trim-Pro into a large suitscase (packed with 30 pairs of socks for protection). The Hornady LnL dispenser comes in a much smaller box and is around $195 on eBay.com.

The brake won't be a problem, it's not restricted under ITAR.
There's room for all Gods creatures, next to the mash and gravy :)
MistAgain

#8 Post by MistAgain »

For what its worth , I am looking at a DSP-5 export licence issued last december .

Magazines are on it . They are listed by calibre up to 30 round capacity , with the sub listing as : Defence Article Type: Hardware .

Also on the licence are Parts and accessories for rifle: Pins,Springs,Screws,nuts,bolts.sights,carry handles,muzzle attachments,barrel parts,stocks,grips,internal stock and receiver parts,components and accessories.
Defence article type: Hardware.

From that it seems that most parts and accessories are covered by ITAR.

But the chances of a TSA agent knowing what is on the ITAR list and what isnt are slim , unless you get an anti-gun TSA agent .

On the bright side it seems that many types of ammunition and ammunition components are going to be removed from the ITAR list .
JSC
Past Supporter
Home club or Range: NRA

#9 Post by JSC »

The bottom line is that TSA don't really give too hoots about what's in your luggage unless it's explosive and they don't have the capacity to scan every checked bag.

There is a slim chance you could be the subject of a random search by another department such as Homeland Security or U.S. Customs and I know of at least one case where this has happened and everything covered by ITAR was confiscated on the spot, but that was very unusual.
Daryll
Past Supporter
Home club or Range: Isle Target Sports Club

#10 Post by Daryll »

MistAgain wrote:....

On the bright side it seems that many types of ammunition and ammunition components are going to be removed from the ITAR list .

Any more details on that..???

I was thinking about bringing some brass and bullets home, but then found out that while they didn't used to be restricted, they are now...