Baton Guns

Anything shooting related including law and procedure questions.

Moderator: dromia

Forum rules
Should your post be in Grumpy Old Men? This area is for general shooting related posts only please.
Warky
Home club or Range: 8th Warwicks

Baton Guns

#1 Post by Warky »

Here's a question, I was reading this old article on a police armourer / RFD who got in hot water for having some things he shouldn't have including some baton guns.

http://www.ipswichstar.co.uk/news/polic ... t-1-127229

Would a baton gun be section 5 then? Is it a length issue or usage issue - aka no legitimate use? Or could it be put on an FAC as a collectable without ammunition?

Just wondering around the legalities - I have seen some deactivated ones on the net but never a live one.
bradaz11
Sporadic Site Supporter
Home club or Range: The tunnel at Charmouth, BWSS

Re: Baton Guns

#2 Post by bradaz11 »

Baton gun would be a caliber and length issue I would think

Sent from my p20 pro from the toilet
When guns are outlawed, only Outlaws will have guns
Sim G
Past Supporter

#3 Post by Sim G »

A single baton gun? If only! Look at the list of charges! These were over and above what he was authorised to possess by virtue of his s5 authority, according to the article...

“The charges that Ashley will face at the crown court are:

n On February 14, 2001, in Pakenham, without the authority of the Secretary of State, he had in his possession 48 firearms that either had a barrel less than 30cm in length or were less than 60cm in length overall.

n On February 14, 2001, in Pakenham, without the authority of the Secretary of State, he had in his possession 41 firearms that were so designed or adapted that two or more missiles could be successively discharged without repeated pressure on the trigger.

n On February 14, 2001, in Pakenham, without the authority of the Secretary of State, he had in his possession a RPG rocket launcher, a mortar launcher, a Mauser rifle with grenade launcher, a service no. 4 MK 1 rifle with grenade launcher, a service no. 4 MK 1 rifle with grenade launcher and an anti-tank rocket launcher for projecting a stabilised missile other than a launcher or mortar designed for line throwing or pyrotechnic purposes or as signalling apparatus.

n On February 14, 2001, in Pakenham, without the authority of the Secretary of State, he had in his possession a Webley Baton gun, a Fereral gas gun, a Webley riot gun, a Webley Schermuly riot gun, a Webley riot gun, a Webley Schermuly riot gun and a Webley riot gun, being weapons designed or adapted for the discharge of any noxious liquid gas or other thing.”
In 1978 I was told by my grand dad that the secret to rifle accuracy is, a quality bullet, fired down a quality barrel..... How has that changed?

Guns dont kill people. Dads with pretty Daughters do...!
Sim G
Past Supporter

#4 Post by Sim G »

Oh, just noticed, the article is over 16 years old!

Nothing to see hear, move along....
In 1978 I was told by my grand dad that the secret to rifle accuracy is, a quality bullet, fired down a quality barrel..... How has that changed?

Guns dont kill people. Dads with pretty Daughters do...!
glevum
Past Supporter
Home club or Range: Cotswold Rifle Club

#5 Post by glevum »

I think the problem with the Schermuly Baton Round gun was "being weapons designed or adapted for the discharge of any noxious liquid gas or other thing" not length/ caliber

https://collections.royalarmouries.org/ ... 45353.html
450 Martini
Home club or Range: Swadlincote RPC

#6 Post by 450 Martini »

We have a working Schermuly in the armoury at my local Regimental museum, I was allowed to have a good look at it a few years ago. As they are made from aluminium it felt a bit like a tacky monkey metal pop gun to me.