Reloading the .44 Rem Mag

This section is for reloading and ammunition only, all loads found in here are used strictly at your own risk, if in doubt ask again.
All handloading data posted on Full-Bore UK from 23/2/2021 must reference the published pressure tested data it was sourced from, posts without such verification will be removed.
Any existing data without such a reference should treated as suspect and not used.

Moderator: dromia

Forum rules
All handloading data posted on Full-Bore UK from 23/2/2021 must reference the published pressure tested data it was sourced from, posts without such verification will be removed.
Any existing data without such a reference should be treated as suspect and not used.

Use reloading information posted here at your own risk. This forum (http://www.full-bore.co.uk) is not responsible for any property damage or personal injury as a consequence of using reloading data posted here, the information is individual members findings and observations only. Always verify the load data and be absolutely sure your firearm can handle the load, especially older ones. If in doubt start low and work your way up.
Sim G
Past Supporter

Re: Reloading the .44 Rem Mag

#11 Post by Sim G »

240gn bullet with either 6gns of Unique or 8gns of HS6

I only use BP in bottle neck cartridges in a lever gun. Straight wall tends to see the action become fouled a lot quicker.
In 1978 I was told by my grand dad that the secret to rifle accuracy is, a quality bullet, fired down a quality barrel..... How has that changed?

Guns dont kill people. Dads with pretty Daughters do...!
DaveB
Home club or Range: Wellington Service Rifle Assocaition; NZ Deerstalkers Association; Wairarapa Pistol & Shooting Sports Club

#12 Post by DaveB »

I always had good luck with 22.9 grains of IMR 4227 and 240 gr JHP in my Rossi with a 20 inch barrel. I like IMR 4227, it's a very versatile powder.
Dahonis

#13 Post by Dahonis »

Ovenpaa wrote:As I do not have any Bullseye I was going to try Viht N310 behind some 240 grain Shellhouse.
4gr of any pistol powder works well for 25m.

I use N310 and N320 4gr of either with a 240gr Cast.

Shoots very well.
nigelc
Home club or Range: Swadlincote Rifle & Pistol Club, Offas Dyke

#14 Post by nigelc »

Henry Big Boy .44mag

PPU .44mag brass

CCI large pistol primers

.44 240gr hard cast GM RNFP

7.5gr Unique

Excellent groups at 25m.
FredB
Site Supporter Since 2019
Home club or Range: stourport

#15 Post by FredB »

Hard cast bullets are for revolvers to stop too much expansion on the forcing cone. They work in rifles if they are exactly groove diameter, otherwise you get leading. Relatively soft cast----24:1 lead to tin works better. 25 metre groups are fairly meaninless---that is knife throwing range, not rifle.
Fred
nigelc
Home club or Range: Swadlincote Rifle & Pistol Club, Offas Dyke

#16 Post by nigelc »

Well there are a lot of club members who find hitting the bull every time at 25m with their 44 mags challenging.

I would definitely be up for a £50 challenge at 25m, you with your knives and me with my Henry - one inch 10 point centre.
FredB
Site Supporter Since 2019
Home club or Range: stourport

#17 Post by FredB »

My old Winchester is a 44-40. I have been using 5.3 grn of N310 for a few years with 1 240 grn bullet---I was given it, but now it has all gone. back to Bullseye which I have in stock and 5.6grn.
Fred