My head is butchered.

Anything Fullbore rifle related, Hunting, Target, Match.

Moderator: dromia

safetyfirst
Past Supporter

My head is butchered.

#11 Post by safetyfirst »

Savage are one of those companies that have figured out how to make stunning shooters for not a lot of cash and some people turn their nose up.

Go look through some 1000yd $1000 rifle videos on YouTube though, you’ll find savage rifles in many of the builds.

I bought a 10fp(?) in .308, threw it into an MDT chassis, put a Vortex crossfire and a second hand wildcat moddy on it, total price £1,040 and it’s like a laser cannon out to 400, not pushed it past that yet.

That’s four rounds in the target in the right from the savage. (The target company sent the wrong grade of steel)

JohnASmith97
Home club or Range: Southampton University

Re: My head is butchered.

#12 Post by JohnASmith97 »

kennyc wrote: they also work very well in standard form O:-)
K31 at 1000yrds.jpg
I'm looking to get a K31 soon, and all I want to know is where you're finding that GP11? All I can find is the Privi stuff, which I'm not all that excited about...
Retired and bored

#13 Post by Retired and bored »

Good afternoon all, I went to visit a mate this morning to talk about joining the club he's in and we got talking about different rifles/calibres and Howa's were mentioned, after a quick phone call, I was invited to go and see another shooter to have a look at his Howa, when I say Howa, I should say Howa's. My mate and I arrived at his pals house and were shocked to see 7 Howa's in different calibres on display for us to look at.
I have to say, I was very impressed, a few were in standard guise, the 7-08 was wearing a GRS stock and 2 were fitted with Manners stocks.
I have to admit, I think a Howa or two would suit me down to the ground, then we were shown some targets he'd shot, at various ranges, my mind was made up there and then, I want some Howa's and they fit into my financial bracket perfectly.

My trigger finger is twitching already.
kennyc
Home club or Range: hunters NRPC

#14 Post by kennyc »

JohnASmith97 wrote:
The attachment K31 at 1000yrds.jpg is no longer available
I'm looking to get a K31 soon, and all I want to know is where you're finding that GP11? All I can find is the Privi stuff, which I'm not all that excited about...
the Prvi brass is very good for reloading, the GP11 I got from Ian at ITL shooting, he tends to buy batches in so sometimes he has it, sometimes not, I only use it for 1000yds so as to not have to work a load up for that range, although my normal reloads will work at 1000, its easier to use the GP11 as thats what the sights were calibrated for.
Although when in Switzerland the military subsidised GP11 is hard to refuse for any range (always 300m razz )
Attachments
20181025_145545.jpg
JohnASmith97

#15 Post by JohnASmith97 »

kennyc wrote:
JohnASmith97 wrote:
K31 at 1000yrds.jpg
the Prvi brass is very good for reloading, the GP11 I got from Ian at ITL shooting, he tends to buy batches in so sometimes he has it, sometimes not, I only use it for 1000yds so as to not have to work a load up for that range, although my normal reloads will work at 1000, its easier to use the GP11 as thats what the sights were calibrated for.
Although when in Switzerland the military subsidised GP11 is hard to refuse for any range (always 300m razz )
Fantastic, thanks!
DaveB
Home club or Range: Wellington Service Rifle Assocaition; NZ Deerstalkers Association; Wairarapa Pistol & Shooting Sports Club

#16 Post by DaveB »

Well, there's certainly nothing wrong with Howa. Good choice.
shoppe
Home club or Range: Any field

#17 Post by shoppe »

i have two savage rifles, a FTR in 308 and an accustalker in 223. Both excellent rifles and have served me well over the years. you will not be disappointed with a savage rifle.
cheers
Shoppe
JohnASmith97

#18 Post by JohnASmith97 »

shoppe wrote:i have two savage rifles, a FTR in 308 and an accustalker in 223. Both excellent rifles and have served me well over the years. you will not be disappointed with a savage rifle.
cheers
Shoppe
Was the 100yd benchrest record not recently shot with a near stock Savage FTR?