Locked Cabinet!

Anything shooting related including law and procedure questions.

Moderator: dromia

Forum rules
Should your post be in Grumpy Old Men? This area is for general shooting related posts only please.
Lever357
Home club or Range: Louisa Centre

Locked Cabinet!

#1 Post by Lever357 »

Bought a couple of ammo safes and one of them is locked and there is no key!!! The sticker on the front says Boxx but nothing comes up when you Google it. Has anybody got any ideas or had any success opening such a safe before I ring a local lock smith???
Attachments
20190203_134916.jpg
Remember, we're all here because we're not all there!
DL.

Re: Locked Cabinet!

#2 Post by DL. »

A friend of mine is an amateur lock picker. (he's CRB cleared not a criminal) he was explaining to me that with mortice locks its usual to use warded 'try out' keys rather than picking like you would a cylinder.

Might be a bit tricky with a seven lever lock though.

I remember there was plenty of Boxx adverts in the shooting press in the late '90s / early '00s.

Good luck with it.
Dark Skies
Home club or Range: NRA

#3 Post by Dark Skies »

If safes were that easy to pick they wouldn't be trusted to keep your ammo secure. :)
If a complete amateur (you) does manage to open it sans keys you ought to just bin it as unfit for purpose.

Assuming you have tried contacting the seller to get the keys then this chap seems to have experience with Boxx:

http://www.safe-cracker.co.uk/safe_open ... pening.htm
"I don't like my job and I don't think I'm gonna go anymore."
bradaz11
Sporadic Site Supporter
Home club or Range: The tunnel at Charmouth, BWSS

#4 Post by bradaz11 »

can you see in the back? sometimes the locks are just screwed on, if they are, drill a hole about where you think they are, and unscrew the lock.
once it's back on the wall, it's no issue as the wall covers the holes
When guns are outlawed, only Outlaws will have guns
fred2892

Locked Cabinet!

#5 Post by fred2892 »

Here’s mine and what it looks like on the inside. Pretty sure they were advertised as 5 lever locks. As you can see, the lock is shrouded, so even unscrewing the single retaining screw won’t help as the lock can’t be removed until the doors open.

As for getting in to it, a friend had to gain access to a bratton sound after his father had died, it was one of the big ones. He got the local locksmith round and he was in within 10 minutes.

Sent from my iPad using "An application"
Lever357
Home club or Range: Louisa Centre

#6 Post by Lever357 »

Wow, many thanks Fred. I was literally going to start drilling in about half an hour!! Call to a lock smith then I think!
Remember, we're all here because we're not all there!