Gsg 1911 coat hanger

24" and less, a place to discuss all things handgun related, section 7.3. Long barrelled revolvers, long barrelled pistols and section 5. Overseas contributions are more than welcome.

Moderator: dromia

Andy

Gsg 1911 coat hanger

#1 Post by Andy »

Hi guys, I've been trawling the net for info about replacing the gsg coat hanger with something lighter and less bulbous. I have seen some replaced with a carbon fibre rod which looks better. I find the bulb bit on the end gets in the way. ( well the whole thing does but we can't do owt about that).I also find it wobbles about slightly where the rod goes into the socket which you can feel when shooting.
I can't seem to find anywhere that does replacements.
I am a machinist, can I make my own and replace it myself ? Meaning am I allowed to? Or does it have to be a gunSmith ?
I understand it needs to be pinned or permanently attached.

Cheers,
Andy
bradaz11
Sporadic Site Supporter
Home club or Range: The tunnel at Charmouth, BWSS

Re: Gsg 1911 coat hanger

#2 Post by bradaz11 »

as long as the gun is disassembled when doing it, and it is never reassembled without the rod, you aren't breaking any laws.

I would also say to do it all in one sitting, IE not over a few weekends where the gun is then stored without coathanger, where you might then get a surprise inspection etc. then proving that you don't just keep it at home without the coat hanger might be a bit hard to prove.

the coathanger is to make overall length, when the gun is disassembled it is already below the OAL.

If you were going to ask about shortening the barrel and attaching a suppressor directly permanently, that is a hugely different issue, as you are not allowed a chambered barrel below 12", unless you are a sec5 dealer. even if it is only for 10 mins while you weld a tube on.

but bear in mind, we are all just faceless entities on the internet, and we can say whatever we like, it's you that takes the risk, and you have to be sure you aren't breaking any laws. Don't take the Internets word for it
When guns are outlawed, only Outlaws will have guns
Andy

#3 Post by Andy »

Thank you for your help. I would make the rod first, I've got some aluminium for that. Good advice about having it stripped fully, and yes do it in one day would be the plan.
I've had conflicting advice, some people say I cant do it as it'll become sec5 (briefly ) and I'm not sec 5 authorised, but then gunsmiths aren't either .
The only other thing is if I did it myself then come renewal time when it's examined by the feo and he asks who has done the work to it, and I say me . Am I going to be in trouble ?

Maybe I should just phone them and ask . I haven't so far as I thought it may concern them I'm wanting to chop bits off my firearm!
bradaz11
Sporadic Site Supporter

#4 Post by bradaz11 »

all I would note is, there is no minimum OAL of a receiver, or of parts of a gun except for a chambered barrel, but there is a minimum overall length of 24" of a fully assembled / functioning gun (except for BP)

If I take a 12" barreled rifle, and take it apart, removing a stock etc. the parts left over if reassembled without the stock / buffer etc, would be less than 24" but no one worries about that.
If you have an underlever rifle, you need to take the stock off to service it. no one says you can't do that at home, even though doing so drops it below 24" on some guns.

so if its in bits you should be fine. if you want to be super above the books, see if you can lodge your barrel assy with and rfd while you do it, that way you have a record of when you did it, you couldn't possibly have reassembled it.
breacher
Home club or Range: EBSC

#5 Post by breacher »

bradaz11 wrote:

If you were going to ask about shortening the barrel and attaching a suppressor directly permanently, that is a hugely different issue, as you are not allowed a chambered barrel below 12", unless you are a sec5 dealer. even if it is only for 10 mins while you weld a tube on.
Not quite.

I have a sub 12" with permanently attached / integral suppressor ( made the suppressor myself ) and sought permission before doing the work - I am not sec 5 nor a RFD ( yet )

The idea that for the few mins that the firearm is being worked on and is sect 5 due to length is NOT true.

Otherwise, if you had, for example a ruger 10/22 with 12" barrel and removed the factory stock to replace with another or when cleaning or whatever, that firearm would also be sec 5 due to length.

Of course, if you are inventive, one can keep the firearm longer than 24" while working on it anyway. In this example one could attach another temp / slave rod clamped around the upper grip and rendered "permanent" with a spot of weld on the clamp. Then remove old rod and replace. Then remove slave rod leaving new rod in situ - firearm has never gone sub 12".

Same goes for the other end - you can "permanently" attach something to the barrel which overhangs while you work on it, thus staying over 12" bbl at all times.

Remember - the barrel length of 12" includes anything permanently attached - permanently is not permanent - just not possible to remove with basic tools such as screwdriver or wrench - so a spot of weld needing a grinder to remove is considered permanent.
http://www.phoenixtactical.co.uk

RFD 2043 Cambridgeshire
Blackstuff
Site Supporter Since 2015

#6 Post by Blackstuff »

[quote="breacher]
Of course, if you are inventive, one can keep the firearm longer than 24" while working on it anyway. In this example one could attach another temp / slave rod clamped around the upper grip and rendered "permanent" with a spot of weld on the clamp. Then remove old rod and replace. Then remove slave rod leaving new rod in situ - firearm has never gone sub 12".
[/quote]

THis is the way all the people I know who've done it have gone about it
DVC
Gh0st
Home club or Range: FDPC

#7 Post by Gh0st »

interesting point about a disassembled firearm for cleaning.....
All views expressed are my own unless otherwise stated! So please take your time to consider my opinions as biased to what i think is best....

http://www.bulletsandpixels.co.uk www.fdpc.org.uk
safetyfirst
Past Supporter

#8 Post by safetyfirst »

My Glock is about a 4” barrel with a suppressor welded on. UK proofed.

I’ve heard the “sunset rule” before about the sun not setting on a shortened barrel, as in do the job all in one go.

Some RFD’s have a letter from the home office to this effect.
bradaz11
Sporadic Site Supporter

#9 Post by bradaz11 »

breacher wrote:
Not quite.

I have a sub 12" with permanently attached / integral suppressor ( made the suppressor myself ) and sought permission before doing the work - I am not sec 5 nor a RFD ( yet )

The idea that for the few mins that the firearm is being worked on and is sect 5 due to length is NOT true.

Otherwise, if you had, for example a ruger 10/22 with 12" barrel and removed the factory stock to replace with another or when cleaning or whatever, that firearm would also be sec 5 due to length.

Same goes for the other end - you can "permanently" attach something to the barrel which overhangs while you work on it, thus staying over 12" bbl at all times.

Remember - the barrel length of 12" includes anything permanently attached - permanently is not permanent - just not possible to remove with basic tools such as screwdriver or wrench - so a spot of weld needing a grinder to remove is considered permanent.
part in bold, when I made reference to the barrel, I just mean that is where it gets tricky, and I think you yourself had a great big long thread about how to do it while staying out of any grey areas. the rest of what you wrote agrees with what I said, I think?
Andy

#10 Post by Andy »

some interesting points and ideas guys thanks.
I just measured my gsg and its 620mm overall length, I guess they made sure it was over 600 there.

Welding a temp or slave rod on is a bit tricky as its aluminium alloy , I don't have a TiG welder and it would make a mess anyway.
Its seems the general concensus is if its done disassembled and in one day then ok.

I will wait for some more input ( if there is any ) from the forum before commencing.

thanks