European Firearms Pass

Anything shooting related including law and procedure questions.

Moderator: dromia

Forum rules
Should your post be in Grumpy Old Men? This area is for general shooting related posts only please.
Hunterboy

European Firearms Pass

#1 Post by Hunterboy »

Just a quick query regarding the European Firearms pass. Brexit notwithstanding, could I take my UK registered rifles over to Spain for an extended period to my holiday home or does it have to be for a particular competition or shoot? I would be thinking of taking them over for 6 months or so at a time .
Ovenpaa
Site Supporter Since 2015

Re: European Firearms Pass

#2 Post by Ovenpaa »

A EFP did mean you could take your firearms into Europe as and when and for as long as you wished, assuming they are legal in that country! Come Brexit I have no idea what will happen.
/d

Du lytter aldrig til de ord jeg siger. Du ser mig kun for det tøj jeg har paa ...

Shed Journal
Sim G
Past Supporter

#3 Post by Sim G »

Had the conversation recently with a Border Force officer. Seems that come 29th of March, EFPs will not be valid for travel to the UK and British issued will not be valid in the other 27 states. You will have to apply to each individual country for the required “visitors permit” as would anyone else from RoW.
In 1978 I was told by my grand dad that the secret to rifle accuracy is, a quality bullet, fired down a quality barrel..... How has that changed?

Guns dont kill people. Dads with pretty Daughters do...!
Chapuis

#4 Post by Chapuis »

Ovenpaa wrote:A EFP did mean you could take your firearms into Europe as and when and for as long as you wished, assuming they are legal in that country! Come Brexit I have no idea what will happen.
I would disagree slightly with you there Ovenpaa. My understanding is that you should be able to demonstrate that you have an invitation or a pre-arranged opportunities to shoot. Also in the case of sporting shooting you will also need a relevant hunting licence issued by the country you wish to shoot in.

The EPF was never intended to allow possession for extended periods of time in another European country without holding the necessary licences or authorities in that country. It's all immaterial anyway as unless arrangements are made to extend the EPF system its all probably likely to finish at the end of March so well before the six months period mentioned.
rox

#5 Post by rox »

Sim G wrote:Had the conversation recently with a Border Force officer. Seems that come 29th of March, EFPs will not be valid for travel to the UK and British issued will not be valid in the other 27 states. You will have to apply to each individual country for the required “visitors permit” as would anyone else from RoW.
I thought EFPs never were valid for travel to the UK. Everyone I know that visits from other EU countries has to apply for a UK visitor's permit anyway.
Ovenpaa

#6 Post by Ovenpaa »

Chapuis wrote:I would disagree slightly with you there Ovenpaa. My understanding is that you should be able to demonstrate that you have an invitation or a pre-arranged opportunities to shoot.
I certainly was not aware of this requirement for moving firearms within Europe with an EFP, I will dig mine out when I get a moment and see if there is any specific wording on it. It is a fan fold thing so there is loads of room for stuff on the back (From memory)
/d

Du lytter aldrig til de ord jeg siger. Du ser mig kun for det tøj jeg har paa ...

Shed Journal
Chapuis

#7 Post by Chapuis »

Ovenpaa wrote:
Chapuis wrote:I would disagree slightly with you there Ovenpaa. My understanding is that you should be able to demonstrate that you have an invitation or a pre-arranged opportunities to shoot.
I certainly was not aware of this requirement for moving firearms within Europe with an EFP, I will dig mine out when I get a moment and see if there is any specific wording on it. It is a fan fold thing so there is loads of room for stuff on the back (From memory)
You've obviously got the old format EFP then, the format changed to something similar to a FAC some time ago. The section you are looking for is section 5 " Information on Travel within the Community".

This will probably be explained more fully in the guidance to police document.
kennyc
Home club or Range: hunters NRPC

#8 Post by kennyc »

in that case I will have to rely on a Swiss acquisition permit and buy my guns there :p
Ovenpaa

#9 Post by Ovenpaa »

Chapuis, yes mine has expired and I was not aware a new format had been issued so I stand corrected.
/d

Shed Journal
Sim G
Past Supporter

#10 Post by Sim G »

rox wrote: I thought EFPs never were valid for travel to the UK. Everyone I know that visits from other EU countries has to apply for a UK visitor's permit anyway.
As it stands at the minute, an EU visitor to the UK cannot even apply for a visitors permit unless they have an EFP.
In 1978 I was told by my grand dad that the secret to rifle accuracy is, a quality bullet, fired down a quality barrel..... How has that changed?

Guns dont kill people. Dads with pretty Daughters do...!