Ultrasonic cleaning

Anything shooting related including law and procedure questions.

Moderator: dromia

Forum rules
Should your post be in Grumpy Old Men? This area is for general shooting related posts only please.
MotorRacingBruce1980
Home club or Range: 5th Sussex Home Guard Rifle Club Worthing, Ford/Yapton, Fittleworth, Bisley

Ultrasonic cleaning

#1 Post by MotorRacingBruce1980 »

Does anyone have some good recommendations of cleaning fluids to use in an ultrasonic cleaner.

I use Vinegar, Water and a little washing up liquid for my Brass and that works well.

Would like to find something good to use on my Moderators, any tips anyone?
Anschutz Supermatch54, CZ452 LTH, Savage 16 FCSS 223, Ruger No1 243,
Enfield No4 Mk1/2 303, Mauser M18 308, Martini Henry Mk3 577/450, Chiappa 1892 357mag, Franchi Affin 12g, Miroku Mk38 GD5 Trap 12g, Ugartechea BLE SxS 12g, BSA R10 22, Webley Alecto 177
20series
Site Supporter Since 2019
Home club or Range: Oundle R&PC

Re: Ultrasonic cleaning

#2 Post by 20series »

Personally I use citric acid.

Alan
A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools!!
Douglas Adams, 1952-2001 RIP
WelshShooter
Site Supporter Since 2016

#3 Post by WelshShooter »

Citric acid works well with plain water. I use one tea spoon with 2L of water and a squirt of dishwashing liquid to act as a surfactant.

I use this solution in a heated ultrasonic bath for 10 mins at 45°C. Afterwards, be sure to give the brass a healthy rinse with plain water. I usually tumble for 30 mins just to give the brass some shine.

One word of caution - do not use the above for blued steel! I cleaned a bolt using the above method, and whilst it cleaned very well it also stripped most of the blueing! Luckily it was a semi auto rifle where the bolt is internal so you can't see any difference.
sclg
Site Supporter 2019
Home club or Range: Pipers Shooting Club

#4 Post by sclg »

I found this stuff many years ago and have used it ever since for all sorts of things. Works wonders on brass with 8 mins in the ultrasonic bath.
Not that cheap but you use so little (about 1% solution) it lasts for ages.
https://www.coleparmer.co.uk/p/cole-par ... lution/504

Steve
Pete
Past Supporter
Home club or Range: NRA Bisley

#5 Post by Pete »

This stuffs good, too.....

http://www.decon.co.uk/english/decon90.asp

Pete
"Tantum religio potuit suadere malorum" Lucretius
You're offended? Please explain why your inability to control your emotions translates into me having to censor my opinions....
bewildered
Home club or Range: Pinewood

#6 Post by bewildered »

As above, citric acid from Wilkos, add 10g to 500ml of boiling water, a squirt of washing up liquid and dilute to a litre with cold water. 10 mins in US bath cleans cases a treat. Rinse well, shake off excess water, dry on radiator overnight and then dry tumble for final polish.
shugie
Past Supporter
Home club or Range: Sperry at Bisley

#7 Post by shugie »

sclg wrote:I found this stuff many years ago and have used it ever since for all sorts of things. Works wonders on brass with 8 mins in the ultrasonic bath.
Not that cheap but you use so little (about 1% solution) it lasts for ages.
https://www.coleparmer.co.uk/p/cole-par ... lution/504

Steve
Says not to use with zinc (or magnesium, aluminium) is that ok with brass which has zinc in it? I've seen old brass seacocks become weakened through the zinc being leached out by seawater. Takes a long time of immersion to do it though.
Careful now/that sort of thing
Daryll
Past Supporter
Home club or Range: Isle Target Sports Club

#8 Post by Daryll »

I used to use Seaclean, but when that ran out I bought this stuff..

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Ultrasonic-c ... 2591e1bc71

It works very well.... 10 mins in there at 40+ degrees, then a ringe in water with a dash of rinse-aid, then dry in the sun or Oven at 100 degrees.
bewildered
Home club or Range: Pinewood

#9 Post by bewildered »

I have sometimes found that brass cases have pink patches on them after cleaning with citric acid, particularly old cases with alot of discolouration. This is apparently a well known phonomenon and due to the citric acid leaching out the zinc in the brass leaving a thin layer of pink copper. I have found an hour or so dry tumbling gets rid of this pink layer. Some say throw the cases away if you see this pink discolouration, others say the layer is so thin it doesn't matter. Being a tight old git I believe the second group and am continuing to reload mine although I do keep a careful eye on them.
shugie
Past Supporter
Home club or Range: Sperry at Bisley

#10 Post by shugie »

bewildered wrote:I have sometimes found that brass cases have pink patches on them after cleaning with citric acid, particularly old cases with alot of discolouration. This is apparently a well known phonomenon and due to the citric acid leaching out the zinc in the brass leaving a thin layer of pink copper. I have found an hour or so dry tumbling gets rid of this pink layer. Some say throw the cases away if you see this pink discolouration, others say the layer is so thin it doesn't matter. Being a tight old git I believe the second group and am continuing to reload mine although I do keep a careful eye on them.
I'd be chucking them away, having seen the state of a brass seacock where the zinc had gone, it had become very brittle.
Careful now/that sort of thing